*[Enwl-eng] Today I’m hopeful

ENWLine

Apr 23, 2022, 8:31:00 AM4/23/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Check out the International People’s platform for Climate Justice

350.org

Hi,

Today, I’m hopeful. I know that might sound strange, but hear me out.

The last climate report from the United Nations confirmed what we already know: we’re in a real climate crisis and the only way to keep the temperature increase to 1.5 degrees is to move from fossil fuels to low-carbon energy sources. [1]

It might sound like a long shot with the odds stacked against us - but it’s not. It's not because I believe in the power of the people.

I’ve seen the power of people everywhere.

In those who keep choosing to act despite the anxiety, the grief, the difficulties brought about by the crises we’re facing.

The communities all over the world rising up and leading the way with courage, compassion, creativity, and solutions to the climate crisis.

That‘s why I’m hopeful.

And I believe today’s a good time for us to hear their stories.

Here are a few which inspire me. I hope they inspire you too.

Saving Akbelen Forest

People in İkizköy, Turkey, have been protecting their homes, their forest, and their last olive grove against the expansion of a nearby coal mine.

Over the years, coal mining has already taken many homes and forests in the region. The pollution has even poisoned the land and animals, and the company cut off the water supply. Yet the people of İkizköy resist.

Since July 2021, they’ve maintained watch camps among the trees. They have come face to face with one of the biggest forest fires in the history of Turkey, police intervention, and countless legal battles.

“İkizköy means so much to me because it’s where I spent the best years of my childhood, my grandmother would give me simple chores… When I look back, those are the most precious memories… I want to keep my grandparents’ memories alive.

We are not going to give up this time. We will not give up until the very end.” - Esra Işik, İkizköy Environment Committee Spokesperson

Makana women fighting extractive industries and climate change

In Ecuador, women are not only fighting for climate justice by challenging the fossil fuel industry - but they’re also challenging the entire, extractive capitalist model and the patriarchy which is a part of that.

“I wanted to make women see that we are able to stand up to fight, to make our voices heard. My motive was also to leave a legacy to my daughters.

“In 2017 we discovered mining companies polluting our territory – our Aguarico river. The Aguarico is a source of life for us. Our gardens are on its banks. Our children bathe in it. As moms, as women, we go out to wash out clothes. We are fighting against the mining companies, against loggers. Against the invaders, hunting and fishing.

“We want to prove, to the state, that our territory is not empty. It has a lot of life for us.” - Alexandra Narváez, Cofán de Sinangoe Community, Guard and coordinator of the Chamico Women’s Association.

The climate crisis affects all of us, and the people living through the worst impacts are on the frontlines of social and economic injustice. The coming years may continue to be scary and heartbreaking, but the antidote to fear is hope.

The United Nations climate reports might make you feel like our chances of stopping the climate crisis are shrinking. But we’re well on our way and we can’t stop now. There’s simply too much at stake. The good news is that we have the solutions already.

We can't let our future be dictated by greed, despair, or the fossil fuel industry.

Our stories will serve as testaments to how we overcome this crisis courageously together.

Onwards,

Jenny and the 350.org team

P.S. Stories enable us to share our collective knowledge, skills, and experiences with others to inform, guide and inspire them, so that we can contribute in some way to enlighten and enrich their lives. Will you help us reach more people by sharing the IPCJ stories with your friends?

Reference:

[1] IPCC: Nations vet solutions to climate crisis

Facebook Twitter Instagram

PO Box 843004, Boston, MA 02284-3004

350.org is a global movement that fights for a just and equitable world by stopping the fossil fuel industry from continuing to destroy our climate.

Sent: Friday, April 22, 2022 3:05 AM
Subject: Today I’m hopeful