*[Enwl-eng] People are being brutally mauled because they won't respect wildlife in U.S. national parks

1 view

enwl

Jul 25, 2022, 1:28:43 PM7/25/22
to "ENWL-uni"

These animals deserve to be observed at a distance.

Care2 Petitions Logo
A bison standing in a field

Tell Congress:

Fund National Parks' Efforts to Stop People From Approaching Wildlife! Keep People and Animals Safe!

For the second time in just a few days, a person was attacked by a bison at Yellowstone National Park. The 71-year-old woman involved was brutally gored while returning to her vehicle earlier this month, approaching a bison in the process.

As more and more people seek outdoor activities amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, national parks are again experiencing massive summer crowds. This is not inherently a bad thing -- until people who are visiting continue to approach wildlife, putting themselves and animals at risk. The reasons for approaching these wild animals like elk, coyotes, and bison vary -- some people feel a false send of security within the boarders of the parks, and are simply not careful. Others want to approach the animals to pet, feed, or photograph them, treating them like tame pets or petting zoo animals. This foolishness often results in human injury -- or tragically, it teaches animals to feel comfortable approaching people, putting these innocent creatures at risk of extermination by officials who cannot risk a wild animal being too interested in humans.

Clearly, there need to be awareness campaigns at our national parks to educate visitors on appropriate etiquette around wildlife, as well as increased enforcement of proper practices, and reminders throughout the parks! More funding would solve many of these problems. We must put pressure on Congress to better fund our national parks to keep both people and animals safe. Sign the petition now if you agree!

Photo of a white woman with blonde hair smiling

Thank you,

Lauren

Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Wildlife that live in our national parks deserve to be respected and observed at safe distances. But people are approaching them, getting hurt and risking animal lives in the process. Sign the petition.

Care2.com, Inc.
3141 Stevens Creek Blvd. #40394
San Jose, CA 95117
http://www.care2.com