*[Enwl-eng] Our one demand

ENWLine

Oct 21, 2021, 10:46:23 AM10/21/21
to "ENWL-uni"

We have a serious problem. Instead of drastically slashing fossil fuel investments, governments are still pouring BILLIONS into coal, oil, and gas -- $11 million every single minute! Our governments are failing -- and we can't be silent. Now Avaaz plans to deliver a thundering call directly to the president of the climate negotiations in days. His decisions will affect every single one of us. Let's hold his feet to the fire, with one single demand: End all new fossil fuel investments NOW! Together we can be deafening -- sign now and pass this on: Dear friends, In days world leaders will meet for critical negotiations to fight the climate crisis. But there's a serious problem. Instead of drastically slashing coal, oil, and gas, governments are doing the exact opposite. Last year alone, the production and burning of fossil fuels received $5.9tn in subsidies. That's $11 million spent on accelerating the crisis every single minute. Our governments are failing. But there is something we can all do. Avaaz will be in the climate negotiations and we have a unique opportunity to deliver a thundering call directly to the president of the talks. He will lead countries as they hammer out new climate commitments -- this is our best chance to hold his feet to the fire, and force leaders to face the terrifying reality of this crisis. We have one clear demand: End all new fossil fuel investments, NOW.  We need millions to join the call. These are our leaders, and they have a duty to protect citizens and the planet -- and they are failing. Let's make sure they hear us loud and clear. Tell world leaders to end all new fossil fuel investments for good. Sign now and pass this on:
SIGN NOW!
[...]

Burning fossil fuels isn't just killing the planet -- it's one of the very biggest causes of human deaths every year. In 2018, pollution from coal, oil, and gas killed 8.7 million people globally -- that's one in five deaths! It's like the entire population of New York being wiped out, every. Single. Year.

But unlike with cancer or Covid, governments aren't taking action -- they're making it even worse. Every penny that's spent on fossil fuels only deepens the crisis -- and diverts critical funds from actual solutions. One in two kids will already be severely affected by the climate crisis -- these new fossil fuel investments aren't wreckless, they're murderous.

We are being poisoned and killed by fossil fuels. And that's before we even consider the actual impacts of the climate crisis itself.

For our children, ourselves, and the planet, we need a thundering global call to wake our leaders. Pledges and promises aren't enough anymore.

In days we hope to deliver our call to the president of the global climate summit. These talks are his responsibility -- if there's one person who needs to feel the crushing weight of our urgent need for action, it's him. His decisions will affect every single one of us, for generations to come. So add your voice. Tell world leaders to end all new fossil fuel investments -- sign now and pass this on:
With hope,

Martyna, Mike, Mario, Pascal, Luis, and the whole team at Avaaz

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2012-05-15.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500