*[Enwl-eng] Hours left!

ENWLine

Oct 30, 2020, 11:30:11 AM10/30/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends,

This is unbelievable.

In just hours, TOTAL will announce its quarterly results at a key event with investors and journalists, and likely brag about its achievements as a “Responsible energy major.”

But we can ensure the company leaders don't go unchallenged, and instead are called to account for their massive pipeline project in East Africa -- due to displace 12,000 families and tear through critical elephant reserves and precious wildlife hotspots.

If we all share this tweet, we can ensure that all journalists attending the event, and everyone following the event in social media, are aware of the disastrous impact of its new pipeline and challenge Total’s narrative.

The meeting is starting soon -- share this urgent tweet to top business journalists:

Retweet Avaaz's post
We have a great opportunity to persuade key journalists covering TOTAL’s financial reporting to finally reveal Total’s truth: That they are a company claiming to lead the energy transition towards a clean future, while building a massive pipeline with a devastating impact on climate, nature and human rights in East Africa.

In gratitude for your tenacity,

Marie, Anneke, John, Nax, Fey, Julie, Luis with the entire Avaaz team

More information:

Uganda: Arbitrary detention and subsequent release of nine environmental human rights defenders (FIDH)
https://www.fidh.org/en/issues/human-rights-defenders/uganda-arbitrary-detention-and-subsequent-release-of-nine

Families left in limbo as Uganda oil project earmarks land (Reuters)
https://in.reuters.com/article/us-uganda-rights-oil/families-left-in-limbo-as-uganda-oil-project-earmarks-land-idUSKBN26M5JW

Uganda-Tanzania oil pipeline threatens ‘disastrous’ environmental consequences (France 24)
https://www.france24.com/en/20200917-uganda-tanzania-oil-pipeline-threatens-disastrous-environmental-consequences

“Responsible energy major”? 4 things you need to know about TOTAL’s megaproject in Uganda and Tanzania (Avaaz)
https://www.avaaz.org/campaign/en/total_responsible_en/

Avaaz is a 60-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "G8+5: FEEL THE HEAT, ACT NOW!" on 2007-06-01

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Friday, October 30, 2020 11:01 AM
Subject: Hours left!