*[Enwl-eng] This is the face of the climate crisis

1 view

ENWL

Nov 20, 2022, 6:04:31 PM11/20/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends, This is what the climate crisis looks like up close...A moment of tenderness between father and son -- in the midst of unspeakable horror.In Somalia, 7 million people are in danger of starving -- and HALF of all children are severely malnourished. Hospitals are becoming overwhelmed and parents are being forced to make impossible decisions about who to feed.The country is being devastated by the worst drought in 40 years. Without rain, nothing grows anymore -- and aid isn't arriving fast enough.Somali doctors and aid workers are racing the clock -- but another starving child is admitted to hospital every single minute. Resources are running out, and doctors are terrified.The last famine here killed 250,000 people. We cannot let it happen again.Avaaz has 70 million members, and if we each give just a bit, we can make a real difference. Together we'd fund lifesaving medical care and food packages for thousands of people -- and power a massive campaign, pushing governments to unlock urgent aid and slash the carbon pollution that's forcing millions into catastrophe.Let's join together in an epic global effort to stop children starving on the climate frontlines -- donate what you can now:
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €8
I'LL DONATE €16
I'LL DONATE €31
OTHER AMOUNT
We thought long and hard about the image we used in this email. We know it's heartbreaking -- but it is the reality of the crisis today. The world's poorest people are dying from climate disasters right now. And it's not 'just' a handful of people -- 40% of Somalia's population could starve to death.

We have to respond to the immediate crisis -- but must also intensify our campaign on governments. It's still too easy for them to ignore the news when the reality is that human beings are dying because our leaders are failing.

If the biggest polluters don't help vulnerable nations to adapt and survive, more children will die as climate disasters slam the planet. They've done the least to cause the climate crisis, but are now paying the heaviest price imaginable.

We cannot look away. If we raise enough, we will:
  • Support a massive feeding programme for tens of thousands of children in Somalia;
  • Fund medical aid and assistance for families and children fighting for their lives;
  • Run ads in major media highlighting the plight of Somalia's children and demanding governments fund lifesaving support for them, and;
  • Launch powerful campaigns to carry the voices of those caught on the climate frontlines to decision-makers everywhere to demand urgent action on the climate crisis.
Real human lives are hanging by a thread -- and we can help. Donate what you can now:
I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €8
I'LL DONATE €16
I'LL DONATE €31
OTHER AMOUNT
Our community has done so much to protect the vulnerable in humanitarian emergencies and the climate crisis. We've just teamed up with the Prime Minister of Tuvalu to demand the end of fossil fuels at COP27, and during Covid, we raised millions to help those hardest hit by the crisis. This magic blend of direct support on the ground and massive citizen pressure on governments is our superpower -- let's come together to use it to save lives in Somalia right now!

With endless hope and fierce determination,

Bert, Marigona, Pascal, Patri, Kaitlin, Camille, Adela and the whole team at Avaaz

PS. This might be your first donation to our movement ever. But what a first donation! Did you know that Avaaz relies entirely on small donations from members like you? That's why we're fully independent, nimble and effective. Join the over 1 million people who've donated to make Avaaz a real force for good in the world.

Avaaz is a 70-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500