*[Enwl-eng] Reminder: Register for July 15 telebriefing on nuclear waste

0 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

ENWLine

ungelesen,
14.07.2020, 10:56:4814.07.20
an "ENWL-uni"

This is a reminder about the telebriefing we’re having on Wednesday, July 15 at 8 PM ET/5 PM PT. We hope you can join us for this important event when we’ll be discussing the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC) latest terrible idea and how you can help stop it.

The NRC has invented a new and misleading name for nuclear waste, calling it “Very Low Level,” or VLLW. The fact is that VLLW is not only Very Long-Lasting Waste, but also extremely dangerous to human health and the environment.

We’re calling the telebriefing “Coming Soon to Your Local Landfill: Nuclear Waste, Courtesy of the NRC” because that’s exactly what the NRC’s proposal would do: Allow dangerous nuclear waste to be dumped into your local landfill, just like regular trash.

Since the NRC’s VLLW proposal would almost certainly result in nuclear waste leaks into our water, air, crops, and communities, we thought you’d like to hear more about it and what you can do to stop it. Join us on Wednesday, July 15 at 8PM ET/5PM PT for this important telebriefing.

With more and more reactors shutting down, the industry is preparing to unleash a flood of radioactive waste across the country—and nuclear corporations want to dispose of it cheaply, regardless of the impacts on our health, clean air, and safe drinking water. To help the industry cut corners, the NRC has invented a new and deceptive name for it, calling it “Very Low Level,” or VLLW.

Powerful players in the nuclear industry are pushing for this change, and the NRC may give them what they want unless we stop them. Join us on Wednesday, July 15 at 8PM ET/5PM PT for this important telebriefing.

The briefing will feature several experts on the NRC’s proposal, including NIRS’s own Diane D’Arrigo, Jane Williams from California Communities Against Toxics, Dan Hirsch from the Committee to Bridge the Gap, and Terry Lodge from the Toledo Safe Energy Coalition. You’ll be able to ask questions during the call and also on Twitter by using the hashtag #VLLWbriefing. We hope you’ll join us on Wednesday, July 15 at 8PM ET/5PM PT for this important telebriefing.

Thanks for all you do,

The NIRS Team

Diane D'Arrigo
Luis Hestres