*[Enwl-eng] Using the war to get their way

ENWLine

Apr 10, 2022, 12:36:00 PM4/10/22
to "ENWL-uni"

Agri-giants are using the war in Ukraine to stop a law that protects nature from seeing the light of day. It’s an excuse to grab land at the expense of forests, wetlands and family farmers. But if the EU Commission sees a public outcry this law could be back on the agenda.

Family farmers are doing us a big favour. Across Europe, their way of farming challenges the destructive ways of agri-giants. By planting different types of crops, taking care of the soil and planting more trees, family farmers grow healthier food while living in harmony with nature.

But they need our help. The EU was going to announce a new law that would protect their way of growing food that doesn’t destroy nature. [1]

But the agri-giant lobby fought hard to stop it, using the war in Ukraine as an excuse. With wheat and corn less available, they argued for a U-turn on the new law. All to protect their billions in profits and get their hands on the land this law wants to protect, like forests and wetlands. [2]

This law has now been put on hold. And unless the EU Commission sees a public outcry about this, the chances this law makes it back on the agenda are lower with each passing day. [3]

This is another corporate lobby scandal unfolding before our eyes. If we act now, as one, we can make sure the Commission hears our side of the story. If you think we should protect nature, add your name now and speak up with us!

Protect nature, not profits!

Agri-giants want to get their hands on land that would otherwise be set aside for farming in harmony with nature. But this is not how they work. They want to use this land to produce more food for more profits, using industrial methods, artificial fertilisers and chemical pesticides. Risking our health, and causing a death sentence for forests, bees and birds. [4]

The most outrageous part is that they will use that protected land to grow food to feed animals. They are drumming up fear about food shortages to justify land grabbing for food that is not even going to land on our plates! [5]

We want to change Europe for the better. Often we come together to demand a new direction. But sometimes we also need to speak up to stop corporations from taking us off our path. Right now, we need to be heard so that this new law stays on the agenda.

When we come together we are many, and we can drown out the corporate fearmongering. Thousands of people standing up together could help tip the scales and put an end to the kind of food production that is destroying our planet.

Yes, count me in!

Thank you for standing with us,

David (London), Rachel (Amsterdam), Olga (Bologna) and the entire WeMove team