*[Enwl-eng] The rivers are black from dye and it's killing everything

ENWLine

Oct 24, 2020, 9:07:17 AM10/24/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Bangladesh's rivers are so polluted, they are turning black — and our blue jeans are to blame

Sign Now

Wastewater from garment and dye factories in Bangladesh are turning the rivers there black — rivers that once boasted diverse animal life, lush vegetation on river beds and shores, and beautiful clear flowing water are now essentially dead. All so that we can get that perfect pigment in our clothing. Levi's has 20 massive factories there and could make a huge difference by immediately stopping the wastewater dumping. They need to hear from us to be convinced though. Sign the petition if you want Levi's to change their production processes so they don't pollute the local rivers!

A lot goes into getting your jeans to be that perfect blue. First of all, the entire process to make one pair of jeans uses up about 2,000 gallons of water, so this process already takes a huge toll on Bangladesh's water sources even before the polluting begins. The jeans are then submerged over and over in synthetic dye, after which they are treated with numerous chemicals to give them the right texture and shading — chemicals including formaldehyde. That water, filled with dyes, acids, bleach, and other chemicals, is then dumped directly into the fragile, interconnected rivers and lakes of Bangladesh. Sign on if you think this pollution needs to end now!

Thank you,

Kelsey B.
The Care2 Petitions Team

P.S. Levi's is dumping chemicals into Bangladeshi rivers and they need to stop. Sign the petition.

Care2.com, Inc.
203 Redwood Shores Parkway, Suite 230
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com