*[Enwl-eng] [ChrstimasAppeal] Prospects & Next Steps

1 view

enwl

Jan 31, 2023, 10:05:12 AM1/31/23
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear colleagues and friends of peace,

Together with your help, we developed a call for peace that reached organizations and people beyond our expectations. Despite the impressive support for a ceasefire and negotiations, the war in Ukraine wages on, and therefore so does our work.

Governments, political parties, churches and trade unions have once again called for ceasefire and negotiations and have publicly campaigned for them in the last weeks of the war. Yes, even from the camp of the active participants in the war, the voices for a ceasefire increased. The idea of an armistice has arrived in "big politics". Perhaps a touch of optimism at the end of 2022, a small sign of hope?

We must continue to build the momentum and pressure for an immediate stop to the killing and destruction and a return to the negotiating table. As a next step, we have released a call to action for the weekend of the first anniversary of the war, from the 24-26 February. We encourage you to plan or find an event near your happening on those days. IPB and partners cordially invite you to join us on 24 February for an international webinar under the title “365 Days of War in Ukraine: Prospects Towards Peace in 2023”. You can also watch our recent discussion with Professor Jeffrey Sachs on reaching a just and lasting peace in Ukraine here.

There is an urgent need to end this war and avoid escalation. We hope you will join us in continuing to push for an end to the conflict on the first anniversary and beyond – until the guns fall silent. Then the work will begin to rebuild Ukraine, and a new security architecture for Europe.

We would like to thank your thoughtful and kind support.

We’ll keep pushing for a more peaceful world in the best ways we can.

This shall be the last contact we are making using the Christmas Appeal e-mail list of signatories. When signing the appeal, if you marked the option of interest in our other activities your e-mail was automatically added to our newsletter e-mail list. If you’re not subscribed and you would like to be updated and informed about IPB current and future actions and activities, please subscribe to our newsletter: https://www.ipb.org/newsletter/. Also, consider following us in Facebook and Instagram, as this helps us in the reach of our network.

With our peaceful regards,

International Peace Bureau (IPB),

the world’s oldest and largest international peace organization

Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 2:23 PM
Subject: [ChrstimasAppeal] Prospects & Next Steps