*[Enwl-eng] Urgent: People's Vaccine

ENWLine

Apr 28, 2021, 7:06:21 AM4/28/21
to "ENWL-uni"
Join me to call Biden, to share the vaccine recipe with the world
Dear friends,
A few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19.

I believe that everyone in the world should have the right to be protected from this potentially deadly virus.

That's why I’m joining forces with the People’s Vaccine campaign, asking President Biden to join developing nations in calling on pharmaceutical companies to suspend the patents on Covid-19 vaccines. So that this life-protecting vaccine can become available to everyone around the world. We need to boost production in all parts of the world as soon as possible.

Please join me -- take a moment to send an urgent message to President Biden using the buttons below, and ask your friends if they can do, too.

Annie Lennox

Contact Joe Biden

As a deadly second wave is sweeping India, with people dying on the streets outside hospitals, the US administration is under pressure to share the vaccine recipes -- and they are seriously considering it. If in the next 24 hours we send President Biden thousands of messages, we could inspire him to be the courageous leader the world needs. Ask Joe Biden to lift the patents and share the science with the world, so that more countries can produce the life-saving vaccines. Send your message now:

More about the campaign:

The global voices of support for a People’s Vaccine are growing, with millions of people joining the movement -- including scientists, world leaders, Nobel Laureates, artists, civil society organisations, 100 developing nations, and the World Health Organisation, all calling for the patents to be lifted, and the vaccine recipe to be shared openly.

And there is hope.

Right now, the Biden administration is considering temporarily lifting the intellectual property barriers for vaccines, with the US Trade Representative saying that “the market once again has failed in meeting the health needs of developing countries.” Meanwhile, the Big Pharma are holding their Annual General Meetings, and are feeling the pressure from shareholders and the public.

This is our opportunity to come together, and flood President Biden with messages of support, urging him to share the vaccine recipe with the world. Take a moment to think why you care about this issue, and then send your message of inspiration:

With hope and determination,
Spyro, Luis, Marie, Adela, Will and the whole team at Avaaz

More details:

White House weighs temporarily lifting intellectual property shield on Covid-19 vaccines (CNBC)
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/covid-vaccine-updates-white-house-mulls-lifting-intellectual-property-shield.html

Former world leaders call on Biden to suspend Covid-19 vaccine patents (Financial Times)
https://www.ft.com/content/43fd53f5-2b82-4e41-981c-8544a6ce996b

Ambassador Katherine Tai’s remarks at a WTO virtual conference on Covid-19 vaccine equity (Office of the US Trade Representative)
https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/press-releases/2021/april/ambassador-katherine-tais-remarks-wto-virtual-conference-covid-19-vaccine-equity

Lawmakers urge Biden to back 'moral' patent waiver to speed vaccine access (Reuters)
https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/lawmakers-urge-biden-back-moral-patent-waiver-speed-vaccine-access-2021-04-23/

This campaign is part of the People's Vaccine alliance

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "G8+5: FEEL THE HEAT, ACT NOW!" on 2007-06-01

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500