*[Enwl-eng] Moving to impeach

ENWLine

Feb 16, 2017, 7:05:01 PM2/16/17
to "ENWL-uni"

Impeaching Richard Nixon looked like a long shot too -- until it happened. A new lawsuit already argues Trump has violated the constitution, and a massive petition calling for impeachment has already passed 850,000. Let’s build a global million to match it and build momentum for impeachment!

SIGN NOW
Dear friends,

Impeachment is a long shot. That’s what Richard Nixon thought, too.

Now Nixon's former White House attorney says, “I don’t think Richard Nixon even comes close to the level of corruption we already know about Trump.”

Expert lawyers agree. They've just launched a lawsuit arguing Trump is in direct, daily violation of the US Constitution, for refusing to give up ownership of his business empire. And with the new Russian leaks scandal rocking the White House, a parallel petition in the US calling for Trump’s impeachment is going viral -- over 850,000 have signed in days!

To build momentum to impeach let's build a global million to match. Sign here now:

Add your voice now: A million calling to impeach Trump

There's a strong legal case for impeachment. Because foreign governments and lobbyists could already be paying millions into Trump’s businesses -- by renting out suites at the Trump International in Washington DC and his hotels everywhere, he’s likely daily violating a clause of the Constitution barring the President from accepting gifts from foreign states.

And that could just be the tip of the iceberg. The White House is swimming in conflict of interest scandals, from Trump promoting his daughter’s jewelry line on Twitter, to his wife Melania citing a “unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity” as First Lady to make millions in merchandising.

Adding fuel to the fire are this week's bombshell reports about the Trump team's regular contacts with Russian intelligence during the election campaign. Add it all up and we can't be sure our future isn't being traded away for a sweet hotel deal with a Saudi Prince or because of some explosive Russian intel.

Impeachment won’t happen overnight, and it will only move forward if we we build a strong case for it in US Congress and in the court of public opinion. But we can win this. So let’s start big out of the gate with a million strong petition making the case:

Add your voice now: A million calling to impeach Trump

We’re in for the fight of our lives, but we also know the strength and persistence of this community can make miracles happen -- from putting hundreds of thousands in the streets for climate justice, to big wins worldwide on conservation, anticorruption, and refugee rights. Let's keep fighting for the big things that count.

With hope and determination,

Joseph, Dalia, Nick, Nataliya and the whole Avaaz team

More information:

Legal Scholars: Why Congress Should Impeach Donald Trump (TIME)
http://time.com/4658633/impeach-donald-trump-congress/

The new lawsuit accusing Donald Trump of violating the Constitution, explained (Vox)
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/24/14358654/trump-lawsuit-emoluments-clause-constitution

Hundreds of Thousands Sign Petition to Impeach Trump for Violating Constitution over Biz Interests (Democracy Now!)
https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1/27/hundreds_of_thousands_sign_petition_to

Poll: 40 percent of American voters want President Trump impeached (Salon)
http://www.salon.com/2017/02/03/poll-40-percent-of-american-voters-want-president-trump-impeached/

'He Is Going to Test Our Democracy as It Has Never Been Tested' (The Atlantic)
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/john-dean-interview/513215

Impeach Trump Now
https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

to unsubscribe.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:23 AM
Subject: Moving to impeach