*[Enwl-eng] A strategy for the climate crisis

ENWLine

Apr 30, 2021, 11:03:55 AM4/30/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Hi,

This is the story of a strategy to stop the climate crisis. A strategy that is working, but is only just beginning.

Woman in centre wearing floral shirt, green forest background, horizontal yellow text states Dare To Dream BIG

Watch the video to hear the whole story!
Don't use Facebook? Watch it on Youtube here.

Back in December, thanks to the generosity of WeMove Europe members chipping in, we embarked on an experiment we didn’t know would work. But we knew we needed to try to:

  1. Find a way to stop Poland standing in the way of the European response to the climate crisis;
  2. Do that by building bridges with the farming community and small farmers in Poland - who are so essential to stopping climate disaster.

We are now deep into this project to bring together climate activists and small farmers in Poland towards climate action. Although we’re only just scratching the surface of what could be done, the plan is working wonders. Here’s what we’ve done so far:

  • We have helped climate activists with some small funding to cover their living expenses and have provided advice to start building relationships with farmers. An amazing team of on-the-ground activists are now moving around Poland to meet farming communities and talk about climate change. Check out this map of everywhere the ground team has already visited to make connections with farmers;
  • They are also working hand in hand with groups of rural women, which is proving to be a great way to build connections and trust;
  • There is a contact person in over 20 villages and cities across the country;
  • They have finalised a handbook on how to run people’s assemblies with relevant tips for the countryside context. [1]
Polish Activists

Team of organisers, from top to bottom, left to right: Paweł, Bernard, Maciej, Paulina, Jędrzej, Wioletta, Miłosz, Tash

This is all bringing together the climate movement to work towards a cleaner, more green future. Their voices are stronger together and this could be a game changer to unblock Poland on climate change.

When activists first approached us with the idea to team up with farmers in Poland, we thought it was just the kind of wild, ambitious plan that our community would want us to roll up our sleeves and get on with.

The truth is, this project is more than moving the politics inside Poland: it’s about finding a way to build bridges with a farming community we’ve never tried to talk to. This is about building a long-term collaboration to change the farming model for good. Trust and finding a way to talk with each other is the crucial first step.

Transforming farming is key to avoid a climate catastrophe, with around a quarter of global emissions coming from livestock farming and agriculture. Small farms often want to change the way they farm but can lack the means to do so. Wojciech, a farmer who lives near Wrocław told us that he wanted to transition to organic farming, but he didn’t have the resources. Stories like his are all too common.

Clearly we’re just at the start of what we can do, and now we’ve proved that the experiment is working we need your help to take it to the next level. Will you chip in?

With your donations we can:

  • Continue to pay the living expenses of the activist team working wonders;
  • Develop high-level trainings for the local contact point liaison officers;
  • Get people outside Poland inspired and excited about this project, and connect with similar initiatives across Europe!

In hope and solidarity,
Tash (Wroclaw), Virginia (Madrid) and the whole WeMove Europe team

PS: We’ve started off in Poland as that’s where the energy from activists was, but we believe establishing a united force between the climate movement and farmers could be central to unlocking a greener future in many other European countries. Do you know about similar initiatives near you? We’d love to hear about them and help build a European network! If so, please send us an email to in...@wemove.eu.