*[Enwl-eng] Tell the NRC: No nuclear waste in our landfills

ENWLine

May 30, 2020, 11:53:06 AM5/30/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Tell the NRC and Congress:

No Nuclear Waste In Our Landfills

Right now, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is planning a very dangerous change to the way radioactive waste from nuclear power is handled.

The NRC is creating a fictitious and deceptive name for nuclear power waste. Despite being extremely dangerous to human health and the environment, the NRC is trying to downplay Very Long-Lasting Waste by telling the Very Large Lie it is supposedly only very low level--VLLW.

It is not. But disregarding the danger, the NRC has proposed to let regular landfill operators dispose of this radioactive waste. This would almost certainly result in more widespread nuclear waste leaks into our water, air, crops, and communities.

We need to stop the NRC in its tracks before it takes this dangerous step toward deregulating nuclear waste. Tell the NRC and your members of Congress: Don’t dump radioactive waste into our landfills.

There is no such thing as a safe level of radioactivity. The NRC claims only very "low levels" of radioactive waste will be disposed of with regular trash, but there is no safe level. At the proposed level, 1 in every 500 people will get cancer if exposed over their lifetimes.

Powerful players in the nuclear industry are pushing for this change, and the NRC may give them what they want unless we stop them. Tell the NRC and your members of Congress: Don’t dump radioactive waste into our landfills.

The truth about proposed VLLW Radioactive Waste is that it’s a Very Large Lie. VLLW is not clearly defined but does include extremely dangerous Very Long Lasting radioactive Waste. The NRC’s proposal would allow it to be disposed of in our local landfills like regular trash. This is unacceptable.

The NRC is also taking this action behind the backs of the American people, under the cover of the COVID-19 pandemic, setting up a system that will allow regular trash landfills to start taking nuclear waste without their surrounding communities knowing or having input. Stand up to the nuclear industry and their friends at the NRC by telling them and your members of Congress not to dump radioactive waste in our landfills.

We’ll have more updates about this important issue soon. In the meantime, we hope you’re staying healthy and safe.

Thanks for all you do,

The NIRS Team

Diane D'Arrigo
Luis Hestres