*[Enwl-eng] Pangolins

1 view

ENWLine

May 8, 2020, 8:40:02 AM5/8/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Shy, cute, covered in scales -- the adorable pangolin seems like an imaginary animal. But they’re real, and they’re the most trafficked animal on the planet! Now a new report says Facebook is making it worse, letting traffickers sell pangolin parts right on their platform! This disturbing trade has to stop:

Take Action!

 Sign the petition

Pangolins look almost like they sprung from the imagination of a small child; they’re covered in scales and roll up in a little ball when they’re scared.

But they’re real — and they’re the most trafficked animal on the planet! Up to 2.7 million of these little guys are murdered every year by poachers hoping to profit off butchering them and selling their parts to traditional medicine shops.

Now a new report says Facebook is making it worse, letting traffickers sell pangolin parts right on their platform!

This madness has to stop. Facebook is already signed on to an international coalition to stop this kind of trafficking, so all they have to do is enforce their own rules. Let’s up the stakes with a massive international campaign:

Click to tell Facebook to shut down its disturbing pangolin trade

It’s bad enough that this extinction-threatened animal is slaughtered in the millions for its meat and parts. Even worse, pangolins are considered to have a possible connections to the Covid-19 outbreak and may host other coronaviruses that could pose a threat to humans!

So this isn’t *just* a trafficking threat, it’s a global health threat too.

Facebook’s community standards ban the sale of endangered species, but report investigators didn’t have to look very hard. They just searched translations of the word “pangolin” in different languages and found listing after listing!

The ongoing sale of pangolins on Facebook even with this heightened attention on the animal is just another example of Facebook’s inability — or unwillingness — to police its platform and block illegal activity. Let’s tell them we’ve had enough:

Click to tell Facebook to stop helping wildlife traffickers

Facebook made almost $20 billion last year — they can afford to ensure that their own health and safety policies are strictly followed. Yet over and over again we see them trying to get away with lax enforcement. Good thing our community is so good at holding corporate giants to account.

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
Danny and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Illegal trade in pangolins keeps growing as criminal networks expand National Geographic, February 11, 2020
Facebook allowing pangolin sales Tech Transparency Project, May 6, 2020

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2020 2:48 AM
Subject: Pangolins