*[Enwl-eng] Flurry of hate

1 view

ENWLine

Nov 12, 2021, 11:59:33 AM11/12/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends, An conservative ex-politician just claimed that Greta Thunberg looks "slightly disturbed" and is "clearly being used", while Brazilian President Bolsonaro dismissed indigenous youth leader Txai Suruí as “Indian” -- fuelling a flurry of hate messages against her.In just 72 hours, posts featuring such kind of attacks racked up hundreds of thousands of views on Facebook and Twitter!Avaaz has investigated social media harms for years, from viral climate disinformation to dangerous hate speech -- but without effective laws in place to force platforms to be transparent and take responsibility for harms caused by their systems spreading such content far and wide -- dangerous actors will continue to detract, spew hate and climate denialism to millions, everywhere.This is code red for our democracies and planet -- we need to change that, NOW!Avaaz’s misinformation squad has set up a war room at the climate conference, investigating misinformation attacks on the summit. And thanks to years of ground-breaking investigations, and explosive media coverage, our team is now in the room with lawmakers, fighting tooth and nail to win laws that protect us and our privacy.But so is Big Tech’s lobbying machine.If we raise enough now, we can go all in to counter their $100-million-dollar lobbying firepower with effective regulation -- by funding top-notch investigators to uncover more hard evidence, bringing testimonies of those harmed by social media to lawmakers, and showing up at every key decision with headline-grabbing stunts and ads.This is some of our most important work, but it's also some of our least funded -- and with so much at stake, we can't afford to slow down now! Chip in now, and let's together tame the social media beast for good:
Hi! You might have thought about joining our appeal to protect our people and our planet from social media harms -- but didn't in the end. Our misinformation team has just set camp at the climate conference in Glasgow -- investigating misinformation attacks around the summit. At the same time, we're fighting tooth and nail to pressure lawmakers in Europe, the US and Brazil to put effective laws in place to rein in Big Tech from sabotaging some of the biggest battles of our times, from climate change to human rights, and from fueling division and hatred to threatening the mental health of our children. But to win, we need to ramp up, NOW. Are you in? Click below to join:
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE $2
I'LL DONATE $3
I'LL DONATE $4
I'LL DONATE $5
I'LL DONATE $8
OTHER AMOUNT
We’ve seen time and again the devastating consequences an unfettered social media can have. When politicians and other influencers mock and discredit these young activists, they open the floodgates for others to do the same — and not just online, but offline too — ginning up viral disinformation campaigns, when we least need it.

That’s why we need legislation that can protect us all. And to do that, we have to bring these harms into the light, and before governments. If we raise enough, we can:
  • Run and publish more hard-hitting investigative reports that show the massive harm caused by these platforms on our societies;
  • Bring together a powerful movement of survivors and communities fighting against online hate and misinformation and take their voices to the corridors of power;
  • Unleash relentless advocacy in the EU Parliament, as well as the US Congress, and Brazil, ensuring they don't give in to tech pressure;
  • Deliver powerful stunts and ads at key moments to help win the regulation we urgently need.
This is a big deal. Social media is eroding the fabric of our societies in important ways. It’s fuelling division and hatred, and sabotaging the biggest battles of our lifetimes, from human rights and climate change, to the mental health of our children. We can't afford to lose this fight!

Chip in now, and let's face down this attack on society and planet together:
I'LL DONATE $2
I'LL DONATE $3
I'LL DONATE $4
I'LL DONATE $5
I'LL DONATE $8
OTHER AMOUNT
Avaaz has played a leading role in this fight for years. Our explosive reports have made front page news time and again, already driving massive changes. Just weeks ago, our research helped to pressure Google into announcing that climate denial videos on Youtube will no longer receive ad revenue. But we can't just rely on the good will of Big Tech titans. We need laws -- now! Let's make it happen, together.

With hope and determination,

Anneke, Marigona, Mike, Bert, Mouhamad, Christoph, Camille and the entire Avaaz team

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2012-05-15

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500