*[Enwl-eng] World Environment Day, the huge financing gap for nature, and more

1 view

ENWLine

May 31, 2021, 1:21:07 PM5/31/21
to "ENWL-uni"
May 2021
Your guide to the top environmental stories of the month
logo

In this month’s issue we look at the launch of a global drive to restore the planet, an ambitious push by Pakistan to plant 10 billion trees and one small town’s battle against single-use plastic.

Ecosystems

Planet gears up for World Environment Day – and this crucial decade

On 5 June government officials, business leaders, environmentalists and people will come together for World Environment Day. This year’s occasion, hosted by Pakistan, also marks the launch of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, a global movement to halt and reverse degradation of our planet.

Read more

Economy

Nature loss threatens global economy: UNEP report
Triple investments in nature-based solutions by 2030 or face USD 4.1 trillion gap in finance for nature up to 2050, warns a new report on the state of finance for nature.

Read more

Ecosystems

Pakistan embraces mangroves in bid to combat climate change
The coastal forests, key warehouses of carbon dioxide, are a pillar of the government’s push to plant 10 billion trees by 2023.

Read more

Waste management

In beach town’s battle against plastic, echoes of a global crisis

In Watamu, Kenya, locals are banding together to rid their shores of single-use plastics – and setting an example for other Indian Ocean communities inundated by litter.

Read more

Restoration

In Haiti, a virgin forest makes its last stand
With help from UNEP, communities are working to save one of the country’s last tracts of untouched cloud forest – and other threatened landscapes.

Read more

Law

UNEP’s Data Reporting Tool: a common system to report on biodiversity targets
13 countries have adopted a recourse called “DaRT,” which allows parties to multilateral environment agreements to record actions on a single platform, providing an overview of progress toward biodiversity goals.

Read more

UNEP in the news

Investing 0.1% of global GDP could avoid breakdown of ecosystems, says UN report (The Guardian)

Protected areas now cover nearly 17% of Earth’s surface: U.N. report (Mongabay)

'We are falling short': UN warns world is on track to badly miss crucial Sustainable Development Goals (Business Green)

UN bodies set up 'One Health' panel to advise on animal disease risks (Reuters)

Horn of Africa's biodiversity threatened by climate change: experts (Xinhua)

publications

State of Finance for Nature
The new report tracks global trends in public and private investment in nature-based solutions to identify opportunities for governments, businesses and financiers.
Protected Planet Report 2020
The world has made progress in the last decade in expanding national parks and other havens for wildlife, but more work needs to be done to halt the looming extinction of thousands of species, says the latest edition of this biennial study.

More publications

events

1-8 June

World Environment Day celebrations

Read more

4 June

#GenerationRestoration: A Youth Call to Action

Read more
4-5 June

World Environment Day official broadcast

Read more

8 June

World Oceans Day

Read more

See UNEP Job opportunities
Forward to friend
logo
UN Environment Programme, 2021
www.unep.org
Our mailing address is:
unenviron...@un.org

dd892e52-d31d-4f09-b72c-2219082fb635.png

c625dad5-eb7e-499b-80c4-90814fc37e1b.png

c8405a29-ae57-4257-a3ef-2140bef66f74.png

c8405a29-ae57-4257-a3ef-2140bef66f74.png

c8405a29-ae57-4257-a3ef-2140bef66f74.png

c8405a29-ae57-4257-a3ef-2140bef66f74.png

UN Environment Programme does NOT share your information with third parties, UN Environment Programme does NOT share your email addresses with sponsors or any third parties, and UN Environment Programme does NOT run exclusive ‘sponsored’ emails on behalf of third parties. You are able to ask us to send you all of the information we hold about you (subject to certain legal limitations). To do this, please use the email address below and provide any information we may need in order to locate information we store about you.

Please do not print this email unless it is necessary. Every unprinted email helps the environment.If you have questions or suggestions, please email us at unenviron...@un.org

Sent: Monday, May 31, 2021 12:39 PM
Subject: World Environment Day, the huge financing gap for nature, and more

This email was sent to vf...@lew.spb.org
UN Environment Programme · United Nations Environment Programme - United Nations Avenue, Gigiri · P O Box 30552 · Nairobi 00100 · Kenya