*[Enwl-eng] Gallon Environment Letter v17 n8 Honoured Reader Edition

ENWLine

Mar 1, 2013, 3:45:14 PM3/1/13
to "ENWL-uni"
THE GALLON ENVIRONMENT LETTER
Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment
Fisherville, Ontario, Canada
Tel. 416 410-0432, Fax: 416 362-5231
Editorial: edi...@gallonletter.ca
Vol. 17, No. 8, February 26, 2013

ABOUT THIS ISSUE

Our theme in this issue is the elimination of construction and demolition
waste. The Forest Products Association of Canada is working to encourage
appropriate partners, including architects and municipalities, to reduce the
amount of wood going to landfill. The story makes interesting reading. CSA
has standards and good practices for disassembly and adaptability of
buildings as well as deconstruction: we bring you details. We look at why so
many buildings are being demolished and how municipalities can encourage
smaller buildings and better use of space. Vancouver actively encourages
deconstruction of homes: maybe this is a model that other municipalities
could follow. We share some ideas for tools for building deconstruction
including knowing about and taking account of any hazardous materials the
building may contain.

Building advocates, and, when it comes to homes, that includes almost all of
us, should consider that the greenest building is the one that exists. But
what does this really mean? An article in this issue shares some thoughts on
this topic. Mission 2030 is a Canadian initiative not just to divert C&D
waste from landfill but to end generation of C&D waste. We report on its
launch. Superstorm Sandy created lots of C&D waste in New York City. We look
at the data. An interesting new Canadian technology is helping to protect
Manitoba from floods. We introduce you to the Amphibex. As most Canadian
shoppers know, Target is moving into Canada. All of its 214 stores will be
LEED certified, something which GallonLetter is prepared to consider a
Canadian record.

In other news, we review a new book about those who make our clothes, inform
you of the location of an Environment Canada consultation on the Federal
Sustainable Development Strategy, and, in the context of the European
horsemeat scandal, remind you of our previous story about racoons for
dinner.

Finally, and on a somewhat different topic, our editorial comments on a flap
that has arisen between the Marine Stewardship Council, one of the
organizations that certifies sustainable seafood, and other marine experts.
The lessons from this difference of opinion have broader relevance to many
green product certifications.

MSC is not the only sustainability project that has come out of an
industry - environmental group collaboration. Next issue we will review more
such greener economy partnerships. Meanwhile, enjoy this issue and if you
have comments please send them to edi...@gallonletter.ca. We read them all
and consider as many as possible for publication.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copyright © Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment
119 Concession 6 Rd Fisherville ON N0A 1G0 Canada. Fisherville & Toronto

Send Letters to the Editor, for possible publication, to
edi...@gallonletter.ca

All rights reserved. The Gallon Environment Letter (GL and GallonLetter for
short) presents information for general interest and does not endorse
products, companies or practices. Information including articles, letters
and guest columns may be from sources expressing opinions not shared by the
Canadian Institute for Business and the Environment. Readers must verify all
information for themselves before acting on it. Advertising or sponsorship
of one or more issues consistent with sustainable development goals is
welcome and identified as separate from editorial content. Subscriptions for
organizations $184 + HST = $207.92. For individuals (non-organizational
emails and paid with non-org funds please) $30 includes HST. Subscription
includes 12 issues about a year or more.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx