*[Enwl-eng] Pandemic beef

1 view

ENWLine

May 27, 2021, 5:44:43 AM5/27/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Gruesome factory farms are pumping animals full of powerful antibiotics, creating vicious new superbugs that could kill 10 million people a year by 2050. But if we push McDonald's to slash antibiotics, its sheer size could shift the global industry to more sustainable farming -- and help stop the superbugs. McDonald's is deciding right now… so let's push them to stop the next pandemic and help millions of desperate animals -- sign and share! Dear friends, Every year 70 billion animals are raised in gruesome factory farms -- pumped with powerful antibiotics to keep them alive and make them grow faster.It's a horror show for the environment and animal welfare -- but a paradise for pathogens to mutate, multiply and jump to humans. Already 700,000 people die from drug-resistant infections every year, and scientists say it could reach 10 million deaths a year by 2050.But we can help to change that.McDonald's is the world's largest beef purchaser -- and it's deciding new antibiotics policies right now. If we push McDonald's to ban them, it could then shift the whole industry towards more sustainable farming.Let's make it happen! There's almost nothing McDonald's cares about more than its public image -- so if millions of us raise our voices, we could push the meat giant to slash antibiotics and help stop the next superbug pandemic. Sign now and pass this on, fast:
Sign now!
[...]

Factory farms are all about producing tons of fast, cheap meat -- but it means cattle are raised in toxic conditions, which wouldn't be possible without massive amounts of antibiotics. Already over 70% of the global supply in antibiotics is used on farm animals!

The result is that pathogens can become resistant to treatment, creating vicious superbugs that are immune to even our most powerful antibiotics. Millions could die -- and that's exactly why scientists and public health experts are raising the alarm.

To protect ourselves, we must not only reduce meat consumption, we also have to drastically cut the use of antibiotics on farms. This could also force farmers to raise cattle in better, healthier conditions. McDonald's is considering its antibiotics policy for beef right now, and if millions of us speak up, we could inspire the giant to lead the world.

It's worked before. After massive public demand, McDonald's banned the use of antibiotics for its chickens in 2016, setting off a chain reaction throughout the industry. Now let's do it again! Add your voice and pass this on:
The Covid pandemic has shown again how interconnected and fragile our societies really are, creating a new appreciation for nature and the ecosystems that support all life on earth. The best time to prevent the next pandemic is right now -- but this is also a golden opportunity to continue our fight to reform food production, animal welfare, and the rights of factory farm workers. For the world we all dream of, let's make it happen!

With fierce hope and endless determination,

Mike, Marie, Anneke, Marta, Spyro, Luis, and the whole team at Avaaz

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500