*[Enwl-eng] The climate lawsuit of the century

ENWLine

Jun 3, 2021, 8:37:45 AM6/3/21
to "ENWL-uni"

Dear friends, Six kids have seen the future, and they are terrified.Raging wildfires scorched entire forests in their country to nothing, killing 120 people.As heatwaves spiralled out of control, Cláudia, Catarina, Martim, Sofia, André and Mariana watched in horror the ongoing reality of climate chaos inch closer to home than ever.But they’re refusing to have their fate sealed -- and are doing something extraordinary!Together, they’re taking 33 major governments to one of the world's most powerful courts. If they win, all those countries could be legally forced to slash their carbon emissions.This trial could change the world. But the kids need our urgent help.Right now, they’re facing a HUGE army of government lawyers and after months of fundraising, they just don’t have enough to land the win our planet needs. But if we all chip in just a small amount, we could help supercharge their team of lawyers, and run ground-breaking research to help prove the case.This trial isn't just about carbon emissions -- it's about the world our children and grandchildren will inherit.Let’s bring hope back into the courtroom and fight for a safer future together -- donate what you can now:
Take Action Now!
[...]

I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €27
OTHER AMOUNT
The European Court of Human Rights is very selective about the cases it will hear -- and yet judges are even fast-tracking this one. That's how critically important this is.

Because climate change is a severe threat to our fundamental human rights -- and the crisis has never been more urgent.

2020 is now officially the joint-hottest year ever recorded: a year of runaway wildfires, surging floods, and glaciers vanishing before our eyes. The world is shuddering and this great temple of life is on the edge. We must act now.

For years we've been calling for real climate action. This is our chance to force it -- so let's help these kids win! If enough of us chip in, we could:
  • Massively expand and strengthen the legal team to assist attorneys with the trial;
  • Fund ground-breaking research to show how governments are harming our children's futures;
  • Recruit legal aides and researchers to analyse the landslide of documents that government lawyers will submit in days, and;
  • Raise the profile of the trial everywhere by unleashing our best media and campaigning firepower.
It's crazy that youngsters should have to do any of this -- but if we all rush to back them, we could win a massive victory for the planet and all of humanity! This is the trial for life on Earth, and it's about to start -- donate what you can now:
I'LL DONATE €2
I'LL DONATE €4
I'LL DONATE €7
I'LL DONATE €14
I'LL DONATE €27
OTHER AMOUNT
These kids didn’t cause climate change, but the current path we’re on could rob their generation, their children and grandchildren of their future -- unless we do something. Time and again, our movement has fought to protect the planet. And we've made magic happen -- helping to win the Paris climate agreement, protecting huge tracts of threatened habitat, and standing behind fearless indigenous communities as they defend life on Earth. Now as children rise to take up the charge, let's all lift them up, together.

With endless hope and determination,

Nick, Ruth, Marigona, Mike, Martyna, Patri, Aloys, Mo and the rest of the Avaaz team

PS. This might be your first donation to our movement ever. But what a first donation! Did you know that Avaaz relies entirely on small donations from members like you? That's why we're fully independent, nimble and effective. Join the over 1 million people who've donated to make Avaaz a real force for good in the world.

Avaaz is a 65-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
You became a member of the Avaaz movement and started receiving these emails when you signed "Join Avaaz!" on 2013-08-06

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact .
Avaaz.org
27 Union Square West
Suite 500