*[Enwl-eng] [press-release] Unapproved GE wheat found growing inthe US - Greenpeace responds

ENWLine

May 31, 2013, 9:32:02 AM5/31/13
to "ENWL-uni"
Outbreak of unapproved GE wheat shows GE crops cannot be controlled –
Greenpeace

Responding to news that unauthorised genetically engineered (GE) wheat has
been found growing in the US, Greenpeace International scientist Janet
Cotter made the following statement:

"This outbreak of GE wheat growing in the US confirms our concerns that GE
crops cannot be controlled. This is the latest in a long line of incidents
involving the contamination of our food supply with GE crops not approved
for human consumption.

"The developers of GE wheat have repeatedly said that GE wheat will not
contaminate conventional or organic wheat because it is predominantly
self-pollinating (i.e. the pollen does not spread very far, unlike crops
such as maize and oilseed rape). Despite these empty promises, GE
contamination has happened.

"The only way to protect our food and environment is to stop the releases of
GE crops to the environment – including a ban on field trials."

More information:
http://www.greenpeace.org/international/Global/international/publications/agriculture/2012/GEFactSheet-03-2012.pdf

Contact:
Janet Cotter, Greenpeace International Science Unit, +44 (0)781 217 4783 or
janet....@greenpeace.org (European timezone)
Eric Darier, Greenpeace International ecological agriculture senior
campaigner
+1 514 605-6497 or eric....@greenpeace.org (North American timezone)
Greenpeace International press desk: +31 (0)20 718 24 70 or
pressd...@greenpeace.org