*[Enwl-eng] People vs. Poachers

ENWLine

Mar 8, 2013, 4:24:08 PM3/8/13
to "ENWL-uni"
Dear Avaazers,

Every day, a long list of majestic creatures are cruelly slaughtered by
poachers -- driving them closer to extinction. Elephant tusks become
trinkets, rhino horns become fake sex remedies, and shark fins become soup.
It is a global disgrace, and the sad truth is we’re losing this fight. But
we know how to tip the balance to save these noble animals.

Just days ago, Thailand’s Prime Minister promised to shut down her country’s
ivory trade. Why? Because of us, Leonardo DiCaprio and our friends at WWF.
When we heard she was hosting the UN summit on endangered species, we did
what we do best -- we found a specific, doable demand that could have huge
impact, and then weighed in all our people power behind a massive petition,
combined with high-level advocacy and a barrage of social media. And we won!

This is just one of the many fights we are in to save endangered species --
we stopped a proposal to legalise the whale slaughter, in South Africa we
are fighting a legal battle to stop the lion bone trade, and in Europe we
are in the final stretch of a huge campaign to save bees from pesticide
annihilation! But for every battle, there are hundreds more animals facing
extinction and time is running out. To truly win, we need to supercharge our
team.

Here's the plan -- we take our tiny staff and grow a team focused on beating
the poachers and profiteers, and we use our campaigning magic to take on
fights across the globe. We know what we do can save these endangered
species from disappearing from our planet. And it doesn't take much -- if
only 25,000 of us chip in €4 today, we could grow our team and scale up all
our conservation campaigns:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/people_vs_poachers_i/?bYBHtab&v=22720

Never before has wildlife been so threatened by mankind. These animals are
the subject of thousands of fables and tales since the beginning of time,
and now our generation is annihilating them. What we are doing is arrogant
and sinister, and is a terrifying indication of a loss of our moral
compass -- herds of elephants are executed with assault rifles for ivory,
African lions are ground up to make bogus medicines, and thousands of sharks
have their fins cut off while they’re alive then thrown back into the ocean.
It's crazy! The UN estimates up to 200 species of plant, insect, bird and
mammal go extinct every 24 hours -- a rate faster than anything the world
has seen since the vanishing of dinosaurs millions of years ago.

Taking on the poachers, smugglers, corporations and governments that drive
so many species to extinction is no easy task. But they are battles we have
proved we can win and know how to fight. With just a handful more staff,
here is a glimpse of what we could do:

- Support investigations to track key poaching hot spots, trade routes, and
trafficking syndicates and then expose them one by one to break the illegal
trade
- Hard-hitting consumer campaigns across Asia -- the top destination for
shark fins, elephant ivory and rhino horns -- with targeted billboard and
social media ads
- Show up to major summits and lobby elected leaders to make species
survival a priority through stronger legislation and better enforcement of
laws
- Push lawmakers in key wildlife trade countries to close down legislative
loopholes fueling the illegal trade, just like we did in Thailand
- Publicly shame complicit officials and politicians with ads in countries
where official corruption is part of the cruel trade in animal parts
- Win a legal battle and help stop the lion bone trade in South Africa
- Pull out our whole gambit of winning strategies and tactics, from eye
catching stunts to high-level advocacy, until we get a global ban on
bee-killing pesticides

Some of these strategies have already worked with just 3 or 4 staff. If we
now expand the Avaaz core team by just a handful, we can deploy winning
campaigns and start turning the tide on global species extinction. Chip in
€4 now to build our conservation team and save these amazing animals:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/people_vs_poachers_i/?bYBHtab&v=22720

Our amazing, nearly 20 million-strong community has already helped lead the
charge to safeguard our planet and the remarkable species that inhabit it.
This is a fight we know how to win, and if we now take our campaigning to
another level together we could tip the balance towards their survival.

With hope and determination,

Jamie, Alice, Nick, Marie, Lisa, Joo-yea, Ricken, Bissan and the rest of the
Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION

Thailand's Prime Minister commits to ending ivory trade (Mongabay)
http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0304-hance-cites-elephant-thailand.html

Traffic: Why It’s Time to Get Serious About the Bloody Illegal Wildlife
Trade (Time)
http://science.time.com/2013/03/05/traffic-why-its-time-to-get-serious-about-the-bloody-illegal-wildlife-trade/#ixzz2MhpVxWZg

Shark kills number 100 million annually, research says (BBC)

EU vote on pesticides is bugged by complexities (Telegraph)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/beekeeping/9899455/EU-vote-on-pesticides-is-bugged-by-complexities.html

Protect nature for world economic security, warns UN biodiversity chief
(Guardian)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/aug/16/nature-economic-security

100 most endangered species: priceless or worthless? – in pictures
(Guardian)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2012/sep/11/most-endangered-species-in-picturesAvaaz.org
is a 19-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the
views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making.
("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in
every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6
continents and operates in 17 languages.

Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights.php/?footer"> or follow us on facebook
here: http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz or twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Avaaz

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us
via the form at http://www.avaaz.org/en/contact. You can also call us at
+1-888-922-8229 (US).