*[Enwl-eng] URGENT: Outrageous Assault on Montana Bison Recovery!

ENWLine

Mar 8, 2013, 4:23:33 PM3/8/13
to "ENWL-uni"
Just making sure you saw this urgent message. A slew of anti-bison
bills are making their way through the Montana state legislature.
These bills could be disastrous to our efforts to return bison to
their historic habitat. We need your help!

Please donate today to help us continue our important work in defense
of Montana's bison.

http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=DoZwWBxsU1vTGnrdZitaqw

-- Jamie

It's the latest threat to wild bison conservation.

All we have worked for could be severely compromised if a batch of bad bison
bills passes through Montana's state legislature. Some of Montana's most
extreme anti-wildlife legislators are attempting to make restoration of wild
bison to the Great Plains nearly impossible.

We are pulling out all the stops to defeat these anti-bison attacks.

Please help with an emergency donation to support our wild bison restoration
efforts - and save other wildlife in danger.

http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=P-ZlvRbtGiG4Wf4iSUym7A

A Massive Assault on Bison

The worst of the bills, SB 143, would:

* Order Montana officials to "immediately" kill or remove all wild bison
migrating into Montana;

* Prohibit wild bison relocation anywhere in Montana except to the National
Bison Range - where wild bison are already located;

* Establish a bison hunt "statewide and at any time of the year;" and

* Allow landowners to shoot wild bison on private land.

To add insult to injury:

* SB 256 would make Montana's wildlife agency liable for any
property damage from wild bison, a precedent meant to financially prohibit
bison restoration;

* SB 341 would require Montana's wildlife agency to navigate a
massive list of additional hurdles prior to relocation of any wildlife
species
and prohibit relocation if the species could impact livestock grazing,
clearly intended to prevent bison relocation; and

* HB 396 would attempt to give county commissioners veto power over bison
restoration within their counties - even on tribal lands and our federal
public lands.

Our Plan for Bison

Defenders of Wildlife's Rockies and Plains team is working overtime to turn
back this cruel assault on bison recovery.

We're working with a diverse coalition of tribes and conservation
organizations to testify against these bills and mobilize opposition; we're
getting word out to the media to bring attention to these bills; and we're
organizing Montanans to show up at the Montana capitol, make phone calls and
send emails to exert grassroots pressure on legislators and the governor.

Our efforts are beginning to pay off. Three of the eight anti-bison bills
are now dead. But five more remain a threat to wild bison in Montana -- and
we need your help more than ever to continue this critical work.

http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=MyLEHpYMOuGeAtkAcBVa5A

Last year, we helped relocate 61 pure wild bison from Yellowstone National
Park to the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. It was the start of an historic
effort
to restore Yellowstone bison to key places in the Great Plains - an effort
that is now in jeopardy, unless we can turn back this latest assault. Please
help today!

http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=HTptvT04fJxeEqEXmjR2_Q

Sincerely,

Jamie Rappaport Clark
President
Defenders of Wildlife

http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=8uNaLDbPaEBXa54tUc7rIQ

© Copyright 2012 Defenders of Wildlife
| 1130 17th Street NW | Washington, DC 20036
| 1-800-385-9712

HOME
http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=KgcM06e5LM7u7LV5aylyQQ

DONATE NOW
http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=NZfToSwpvHjwyBkWuoKnhw

CONTACT US
http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=iRPDDYLYlGvcQ99mxTX9oA

RSS FEEDS
http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=zqdaUZFv4os2LjOFFMdQ-g

PRIVACY POLICY
http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=1VVc8Lp3BVJmyfanCwrvZg

TERMS OF USE
http://action.defenders.org/site/R?i=_jJxBoYIGhh3c3Jm8F-FyQ

© Copyright 03/07/2013 Defenders of Wildlife.

Defenders of Wildlife is a national, nonprofit membership organization
dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in
their natural communities.

Defenders of Wildlife can be contacted at:
1130 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036