IN COLOUR - Sankey diagram for European energy usage (wastage)

dave andrews

Mar 31, 2011, 11:10:33 AM3/31/11
to Claverton AB MAIN GROUP

From: bloem.voss [mailto:@.ec.europa.eu]

Hi,

you are lucky that I have it with me here in Brussels
Find attached two *.png
One all energy, the other one on RE for buildings.
When and if I find time I will make one with more recent data.

Best regards,

Herman

On 03/31/11, "ANDREWS David

Gents – can you advise where I can get hold of a coloured version of this chart, and the source of the data?

thanks

Dave A

--
Dave Andrews
K.E.N.T.

EU27_06.png
EU27_06_RES.png

Nicholas Neal

Mar 31, 2011, 12:09:43 PM3/31/11
to energy-disc...@googlegroups.com

It would be interesting (although possible impractical) to try and reproduce the sankey diagram but with an additional step named “useful energy” or similar placed after the “used energy”, taking into account the potential for energy reduction with energy efficiency measures at the user end and modal change (e.g. bike/train rather than car) – this would reveal a whole other level of waste energy – has anybody in the group attempted to do this?

Nick N

Andrew Smith

Mar 31, 2011, 12:22:21 PM3/31/11
On 31/03/2011 17:09, Nicholas Neal wrote:

> It would be interesting (although possible impractical) to try and

> reproduce the sankey diagram but with an additional step named �useful
> energy� or similar placed after the �used energy�, taking into account

> the potential for energy reduction with energy efficiency measures at

> the user end and modal change (e.g. bike/train rather than car) � this
> would reveal a whole other level of waste energy � has anybody in the

> group attempted to do this?

No, but as a crude rule-of-thumb, I'd go for an 80-50-20 : 80%
efficiency savings theoretically possible; 50% technically possible now;
20% with a positive NPV now.

i.e. the underlying energy service demand is about 20% of current energy
demand - 80% savings are theoretically possible.

Technically we could halve our current energy demand without changing
energy service demand - 50% savings are technically possible.

And 20% energy efficiency is sitting there waiting to happen for free
(or cheaper), like fivers on the pavement; except that there are hidden
costs, transactional costs, satisficing behaviour, market inertia, etc.
- which is why they aren't happening currently.

Regards,
Andrew

Mark Barrett UCL

Mar 31, 2011, 1:41:32 PM3/31/11
to energy-disc...@googlegroups.com

Dear Nick

http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/markbarrett/Teaching/SEE_7%20Electricity_MBarrett%20120210.pptx

Slide 112-14 show animated Sankey diagram including ‘useful’ energy after final conversion, though useful is a slippery concept.

Such diagrams are generated automatically from SEEScen model used for this study of EU energy: http://eprints.ucl.ac.uk/13088/1/13088.pdf

Unfortunately I did not produce Sankeys for most countries, nor for the EU as a whole.

Best wishes

Mark

Dr Mark Barrett, Senior lecturer

UCL Energy Institute, Central House , 14 Upper Woburn Place

London WC1H 0NN

Location map: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/energy/contact-us/UCL_Energy-Institute_Map

Web site: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/energy/

Email: Mark.B...@ucl.ac.uk