DOCOMO's comment

Koji Takemura

Jan 14, 2009, 4:29:44 AM1/14/09
to emoji4...@googlegroups.com, imode_mail-ml, Seishi TSUKADA, Makoto Ueda, Norihiro Ishikawa, Tsutomu Yokoyama, Takuya Kosaka
Dear emoji4unicode group members,

NTT DOCOMO welcomes this initiative since it will dramatically improve
the interoperability of emoji. The emoji culture has grown in the mobile
phone community and has been very popular. Thanks to this initiative,
NTT DOCOMO also welcomes the potential of emoji to be used widely by the
Internet community as well. Based on its experience, NTT DOCOMO would
like to cooperate with this initiative in making the emoji culture even
more popular.

We find that there are some DOCOMO emojis that are not mapped to the
proposed symbols. We assume that the reason why they are not mapped to
the proposed symbols is due to the proprietary nature of these symbols.

We find the mapping between Unicode and existing emoji is useful to
increase interoperability.

We think this mapping doesn't influence the emoji mutual
conversion service among Japanese operators.
You can find DOCOMO's conversion rule at the following page.
Sorry for only Japanese page is available.
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/service/mail/imode_mail/function/emoji_convert/

The mapping rule should be aligned with the existing services, however,
due to the limited time for reviewing the details of whether or not
these mappings are appropriate, please let us submit comments later if any,
as soon as they become available from our end.

Best regards,
Koji Takemura
NTT DOCOMO, INC.

Markus Scherer

Jan 14, 2009, 11:59:11 AM1/14/09
to emoji4...@googlegroups.com, imode_mail-ml, Seishi TSUKADA, Makoto Ueda, Norihiro Ishikawa, Tsutomu Yokoyama, Takuya Kosaka
Dear Koji Takemura,

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging message. We would appreciate your feedback but understand that your time is limited.

To answer your question:

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Koji Takemura <take...@nttdocomo.co.jp> wrote:
We find that there are some DOCOMO emojis that are not mapped to the
proposed symbols. We assume that the reason why they are not mapped to
the proposed symbols is due to the proprietary nature of these symbols.

That is correct. For the full list of all symbols we have data for, please see this document: http://www.unicode.org/~scherer/emoji4unicode/snapshot/full.html

The symbols which we did not consider for encoding are shown in "strike-through" style and are mostly listed in the bottom section called "8. Business logos/symbols".

Best regards,
markus
Google Internationalization