emoticons and emoji

Arle Lommel

Dec 27, 2008, 12:29:27 PM12/27/08
to emoji4...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

You may have seen this on Unicore, but if not, I have done a
comparison of the emoji repertoire with the emoticons used in chat or
bulletin board systems from seven major vendors in this area (Skype,
Microsoft, Yahoo, America Online, Google, vBulletin, and phpBB). You
can download the results from here:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/223919/emoticons.pdf

I think that if the emoji proposal were augmented by 30 to 40 code
points it could cover the "core" emoticons used in Western products as
well in a unified proposal. I think this approach would offer benefits
for interoperability and would make it easier for interchange. I don't
envision most western vendors adopting a character-based mechanism for
encoding emoticons internally (especially since some systems are user-
expandable), but it would be nice if the option existed.

In examining the chart I prepared, it is apparent that overlap with
the current emoji proposal is pretty sporadic, with key western
emoticons (e.g., ;-)) not having any direct matches in the emoji set.
Nevertheless there are a fair number that do overlap, often in
somewhat imprecise manners.

I hope the chart will prove of some use to the group.

Best,

Arle Lommel

Rick McGowan

Jan 5, 2009, 4:03:06 PM1/5/09
to emoji4...@googlegroups.com
Arle,
When I get around to posting this in the doc register it will be L2/09-007.

Rick

Arle Lommel wrote:

> comparison of the emoji repertoire with the emoticons used in chat or
> bulletin board systems from seven major vendors
>

> http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/223919/emoticons.pd

Arle

Jan 6, 2009, 4:55:38 PM1/6/09
to emoji4unicode