emacs-rails forked

Dmitry Galinsky

Jun 30, 2008, 1:12:05 PM6/30/08
to Rails On Emacs
I have decided to fully rewrite rails-emacs because this project began
as a small set of functions, expanding it is more and more and more.
The code became very confused, addition of new opportunities and
correction of bugs has turned to a headache.

After attempt to add support of RSpec there was an idea to rewrite
all .

In the new version new opportunities will not be added. That will be
copied that already is.

The basic differences from the old version:

* a covering of a code tests (it is used elunit)

* In the base code a minimum of functionality.

* All functionality is place in packages (bundles) which can be
dynamically enabled/disabled. It will solve a problem with conflict
TestUnit and RSpec.

* Change snippets.el to yasnippets.el

That that has turned out it is possible to take from git a
repository:

git clone http://dima-exe.ru/git/rails-reloaded.git

While there a little that works, but it is possible to look if who be
will become interested in this project.

--
Best regards,
Dmitry Galinsky

Eric Schulte

Jul 2, 2008, 12:03:18 PM7/2/08
to emacs-o...@googlegroups.com

I can't help but notice similarity between the goal of this fork of
rails-emacs, and the motivation behind Phil's (and later my) fork of
Rinari available at http://github.com/eschulte/rinari/tree/master.

The use of independent dynamically loadable functional add-ons is a
great idea. It would be a huge plus if these new rails-bundles could
be loaded by either Rinari or rails-emacs allowing users to select the
core based on their personal taste without limiting their options for
additional functionality, allowing the authors of the bundles to reach
a wider audience, and providing more cohesion in the emacs/rails
community.

I'm not sure what the technical hurdles would be... The only thing
that comes to mind is that both rails-emacs and Rinari might want to
export some set of basic functions which can be used by the bundles,
things like `rails-root', or maybe the bundles should be entirely
self-sufficient so that they can be used in the absence of any core
rails minor-mode. Either way I think a standard to which the
rails-bundles conform would be helpful.

I would be happy to put some coding effort into the development of
such a bundle.

Best -- Eric

--
schulte