used a wah wah pedal with my Korg CX- 3 organ

Veronica

May 16, 2011, 9:04:47 PM5/16/11
to elp-c...@googlegroups.com
Hello ELP channel ers ! At band rehearsal yesterday I used a wah
wah pedal with my Korg CX 3 organ and it sounded VERY interesting . I
asked the band if they knew of anyone doing that before and my bassist
Ed said some funk players did and a bizzare player name " Sun Ra " I
have been looking on youtube but I can't find any good examples of
professional keyboardist using a wah wah on an Organ. Do you know of
any that I can look up ? I usually use the wah wah on the
clavinet but it was hooked up to the organ and I didnt want to switch
the wires around . The song is called " Shock And Awe " written by
our band which called "Utterflux". Thanks , Veronica
www.myspace.com/utterfluxband www.reverbnation.com/utterflux

D. Black

May 17, 2011, 8:50:55 AM5/17/11
to ELP-channel
Dave Greenfield of The Stranglers used a wah pedal with his hammond -
listen to the track "Dagenham Dave" for instance.

Veronica

May 18, 2011, 7:20:18 AM5/18/11
to elp-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks D.Black ! I never heard of that band before. They are a punk
band with a keyboardist , I think this is the ONLY punk band with
keyboards ! I really heard the organ and wah wah pedal on the " I Feel
Like A Trog " live 1977 session. They are still playing gigs and
festivals in England and Europe too. V

D. Black

May 19, 2011, 9:26:44 AM5/19/11
to ELP-channel
Yes, The Stranglers started out as kind of a punky version of The
Doors perhaps - the keyboards added an element that the other punk
bands did not have. He didn't really admit it at the time (wasn't cool
to do so) but Dave Greenfield does say now he's a prog fan, Wakeman
etc etc. On one of theie very early recordings, a song called
"Tomorrow was the Hereafter," you can hear him make the hammond wail
and crash a la Keith Emerson (and until someone mentions it you don't
realize the vocals have a bit of a Greg Lake thing happening too).

If I had to single out one album it would have to be :"The Raven"
though...it's fantastic, not a bad track on it. More a prog album than
a punk album...loads of great synth stuff, odd time signatures and
rhythms...great stuff.

Veronica

May 19, 2011, 2:48:09 PM5/19/11
to elp-c...@googlegroups.com
Correction ..the song I was referring to was " I Feel Like A Wog "
.The track you mentioned " Tomorrow ..." has an organ solo that you
can hardly hear , he should have turned way up . He turns the run
switch on and off, on the Hammond , to get that great " bending "
sound and then plays a great organ solo . In the USA , I unfortunately
never heard that band , wish I did ! Are you in England and is that
where you heard them ? V

D. Black

May 20, 2011, 9:30:25 AM5/20/11
to ELP-channel
I'm in the USA as well (NM) but grew up in Toronto working in the
record business, so I got to hear a lot of new stuff that others maybe
missed. Got to see them live many times back in the late 70's and 80's
but lost interest after Hugh Cornwell left the band in 1990 (though
the Norfolk Coast album from 2000 was very good).

Cheers

Veronica

May 27, 2011, 1:12:49 AM5/27/11
to elp-c...@googlegroups.com
I bet there isn't a lot of people who can say they saw "The Stranglers
" live , I wish I did . Hey I will get to use my Korg/ wah wah
combination live at the gigs on 6/6/11 and 8/20/11 with our band
called "Utterflux " here in NY ! Maybe we can actually meet in person
at a show ! I use it on our origional songs " B Minor Fusion " and "
Shock And Awe ". You can see the details at www.reverbnation.com and
www.myspace.com/utterfluxband. From V