Open letter to Kibaki

Harrison Murbi

Dec 30, 2007, 7:50:44 PM12/30/07
to Allan...@ke.delarue.com, allan...@yahoo.com, allex...@yahoo.ca, anwak...@yahoo.com, aonk...@yahoo.com, asunta...@hotmail.com, basem...@yahoo.com, beatric...@yahoo.co.uk, charle...@hotmail.com, cmun...@yahoo.com, cola...@yahoo.com, edwinm...@yahoo.com, fazalm...@hotmail.com, fr...@youthforconservation.org, gach...@yahoo.com, gamw...@yahoo.com, gitiri...@yahoo.com, jkb...@justice.com, jkb...@yahoo.com, jkc...@yahoo.com, jnge...@focuskenya.org, jnt...@yahoo.com, joki...@yahoo.com, jtuim...@yahoo.co.uk, just...@yahoo.com, kitil...@yahoo.com, m_mu...@yahoo.com, maryg...@yahoo.com, masyuk...@yahoo.com, mbi...@yahoo.com, mbud...@yahoo.com, merc...@yahoo.com, mer...@hotmail.com, mmir...@yahoo.com, mumb...@yahoo.com, nancy_...@wvi.org, nandi...@yahoo.com, paulm...@yahoo.com, rnya...@yahoo.com, samk...@yahoo.com, shiko...@yahoo.com, betty njiru, Duncan Olumbe, Eunice Ndungu, Jesse Masai, Josephat Omwancha, josephine Onchiri, kimutai langat, lisasa opuka, MIKE RUGUTT, nancy kilavuka, patrisio njeru, Steve, T R, Zipporah Musyoka (E-mail), elections...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends,

Perhaps you are interested in writing to Kibaki.  I have drafted an email below.  you can add or subtract whatever you wish and send to him if you wish.  The emails are:

pres...@statehousekenya.go.ke,con...@statehousekenya.go.ke

There are also emails below this email to other organizations and government bodies.  If you add more to this, that will be good.

Dear Mr. Mwai Kibaki,

When you were inaugurated in 2002 as the 3rd president of Kenya, I was at the very front of the crowd that gathered at Uhuru Park for this momentous occasion.  The reasons people were so happy are well known and bear no repeating here.  Now what happened after that election is also widely known and is not the theme of this email.  The events of the last 4 days form the basis of my email.  I attempt to present a summary of the events here:
  1. The people of Kenya overwhelmingly voted, with a very high voter turnout
  2. The people of Kenya voted out most of the members of your last cabinet, a clear indication that the people you had chosen to your government were not popular
  3. The people of Kenya clearly voted to elect Raila Odinga as the next president of Kenya.
  4. The ECK and others, clearly worked to make you president instead of Raila, against the wishes of the people of Kenya.  As president, you directly bear blame for this as the buck always stops with the president.
  5. Half an hour after you were declared president, the inauguration preparations were ready!
  6. The people of Kenya feel they have been cheated
  7. Now the country has been thrown into chaos,
  8. People have lost lives and property.  The country is bleeding.  Crops cannot be taken to market.  People cannot buy food. Imports and exports cannot occur. Foreign Direct Investment cannot happen now.
Now my email is to ask you to listen to the people:  Resign.  The buck stops with you - resign and let the will of the people prevail.  If you resign, peace shall prevail. If you do not, then as one Githongo said: An inextricably divided Kenya will be your legacy, sir.

By openly rigging this election, you have inflamed the passions of the people.  Now, do the honorable thing and help stop the country from going up in flames.  Otherwise, how will you be able to govern a country that is so fractured?

It is sad that you have taken Kenya to very dark days indeed by imposing a media blackout.  Never before have I seen anything like this. Additionally, in a moment, the good effects of the 6% economic growth might be wiped out.

Think about the people who are dying.  Think of how far backwards we are going.  Think of how angry the people are.  Think of the possibility of ruling a fractured country for the next five years.  Think of the wishes of the many who voted against you.  Think of the wishes of the people of Kenya.  And resign.

Most sincerely,

in...@treasury.go.ke, comm...@whitehouse.govnat...@nation.co.ke , co...@comms.go.ke, ps...@publicservice.go.ke, in...@ag.go.ke, ka...@integrity.go.ke, havey...@bbc.co.uk,

Harrison Murbi

Jan 1, 2008, 12:14:24 PM1/1/08
[...]
Hi all,

I hope you are all safe after all these chaos.  I am told things are much quieter today - Tuesday.  But it was very sad to hear of the many who died inside the torched church in Eldoret that they had run to for refuge.  And many others who have been slashed and shot.  So many innocent people are dying while the politicians are safe in their hotels and government houses!

Do you think there is something that we should do?  What is it?  Please lets not just sit there while our brothers and sisters (of whatever tribe they are) slaughter each other!  We don't want a 1994 genocide, yeah?

Harrison