Eggbot, Inkscape, and MacOS X 10.7 Lion

Windell H. Oskay

Aug 3, 2011, 6:19:43 PM8/3/11
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
Greetings Eggboteers,
It appears that the current version of Mac OS X, 10.7 Lion, changes some
system settings such that Inkscape extensions (including our Eggbot
extensions) no longer work.

I have uploaded a new version of our installer (for the Eggbot Inkscape
extensions) that also patch Inkscape such that it works on 10.7. If any
of you fine individuals are already running 10.7 and would have time to
help test the patch, I would sincerely appreciate it.

The steps to test it are:
(1) Check to see that extensions are not working.
A good test extension is Extensions>Render>Gear. If it produces an
error message rather than drawing a gear, it's not working. :)

(2) Download and run the new installer:
http://tinyurl.com/eggbot-lion-beta

(3) Restart Inkscape and check to see if extensions are now working.

(4) Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!
-Windell

John D

Aug 4, 2011, 1:49:04 PM8/4/11
to EggBotUser
I went to Extensions>Render>Gear and clicked APPLY. I got this
message:

Inkscape has received additional data from the script executed. The
script did not return an error, but this may indicate the results will
not be as expected.

The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by inkex.py and
therefore this extension. Please download and install the latest
version from http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/lxml/, or install it
through your package manager by a command like: sudo apt-get install
python-lxml

John D

Aug 4, 2011, 1:59:52 PM8/4/11
to EggBotUser
I know you're going to ask me if I followed the instructions and went
to the page and downloaded the latest version of the lxml wrapper.
I went to that page and just got confused . . . didn't download
anything. Perhaps it will make more sense to you. I have no idea
what to click on or download or install from that page.

So, I clicked on YOUR installer and tried Extensions>Render>Gear again
and got the same message:

Inkscape has received additional data from the script executed. The
script did not return an error, but this may indicate the results will
not be as expected.

The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by inkex.py and
therefore this extension. Please download and install the latest
version from http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/lxml/, or install it
through your package manager by a command like: sudo apt-get install
python-lxml

QUESTION: Do I have to have the EggBot hooked up to the computer for
this test? (I don't and I'm guessing not necessary, but you tell me.)

Windell H. Oskay

Aug 4, 2011, 2:10:32 PM8/4/11
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
> I know you're going to ask me if I followed the instructions and went
> to the page and downloaded the latest version of the lxml wrapper.

Actually, I'm not going to ask you anything of the sort.

That "lxml wrapper" message is unnecessary, and in fact is the very error
that we're trying to fix.

> So, I clicked on YOUR installer and tried Extensions>Render>Gear again
> and got the same message:

Would you please tell me which version of Eggbot Control you are using?
(2.2.1? 2.2.2?) You can find it at
Extensions>Eggbot>Eggbot Control...> "*" tab, on the right hand side.

> QUESTION: Do I have to have the EggBot hooked up to the computer for
> this test? (I don't and I'm guessing not necessary, but you tell me.)

No, you do not. :)

Luis E. Rodriguez

Aug 4, 2011, 3:58:55 PM8/4/11
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
I received the error, installed the patch and the gear extension worked. I haven't fired up the eggbot yet, ever actually. Tonight at a CCCKC Hackerspace meeting I will.

Luis E. Rodriguez

Windell H. Oskay

Aug 5, 2011, 1:35:00 PM8/5/11
to eggbo...@googlegroups.com
> I received the error, installed the patch and the gear extension worked. I
> haven't fired up the eggbot yet, ever actually. Tonight at a CCCKC
> Hackerspace meeting I will.
>
> Luis E. Rodriguez

Fantastic-- thank you!