"The King’s authority in action" by Sam Reeves, 25 November 2007, Matt 14:13-36 OT: Psalm 78:1-4; 17-40

dann...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2008, 3:59:42 AM4/21/08
to Sermons from Wollongong Baptist Church
Intro: What is the most common response to the question “How are you
going?/How are things?”. It would have to be “Flat out”, followed by a
sigh, or “Dunno when I’m going to get a break”. It’s almost as if the
pace of our lives is dictated by the amount of things that are going
on in our lives. It’s almost become a badge of honour to be running at
breakneck speed, in spite of the fact that everyone tells us that it’s
bad for us. In our culture these days you can’t answer the question by
saying “Actually I’m just taking it easy”. That would be considered to
be very un-Australian, and you would probably have your citizenship
called into question (even if you are a retiree). We speak as if we
have no control over our circumstances – that ‘life’ is propelling us
along at supersonic speed and we’re just hanging on to the rocket by
our fingernails, and, as a mate of mine says “every time you look, the
scratch marks are getting longer”. Contrast this to what we read of
Jesus (arguably the person who humanly speaking has had the most
impact on the world, and he did it in 3 years of public life)

1. In private v13, 23
One of the things that strikes you as you read the gospels is how much
Jesus is in control of himself. He is not a person who is buffeted and
dictated to by the times, or the agenda of those around him. Here is a
man who quietly and deliberately goes about his life in a very
intentional way, with a purpose in view that He relentlessly works and
walks towards. He is neither rushed by anyone, nor slowed down by
anyone. The pace and the purpose of his life are not dictated by those
around him.

We see that in operation here. He withdraws. In v13 we’re not told the
reason, but it is in response to what goes before. Is he scared of
Herod, who has put John the Baptist to death? There’s no indication of
that. He has said that he’s come to die and give his life a ransom. Is
he getting away from the crowds? Possibly. Most likely it’s because
Herod’s faithless, guilty response to the news of Jesus leaves Jesus
to take his message to those who will follow. Certainly in v23 Jesus’
withdrawing even from his disciples is so that He can pray by himself.
Here is someone who knows where the source of strength, nourishment,
power is. He knows what his primary relationship is – it’s with his
heavenly Father. He is sufficiently in control of his life to not just
withdraw from his disciples, but to send them away. In v22, we’re told
he ‘made’ his disciples get into the boat of go. John tells us that
the crowds wanted to make him King. Jesus short-circuits that whole
scenario by sending the disciples off and dismissing the crowds. Here
is a man who has real authority – in the hardest place of all – over
himself. He is not pushed and shoved by the crowds, even when they
want to make him king. He presses on to take time for the only
relationship that matters in the end – his relationship with God.

2. In provision v14-21
So Jesus moves away from the turf of the faithless Herod, and turns to
those who seek him out. There are 2 significant miracles here. The
first (feeding of the 5,000) is the only miracle of Jesus (apart from
the resurrection) that is reported by all four gospel writers. It is
significant. It is a key miracle. We’ll see why soon.

• Compassion v14
Jesus has gone off by boat (with his disciples) privately to a
solitary place. But the crowds follow him. Jesus has compassion (deep
seated gut reaction) on the crowds. It was his time out. It would have
been easy to be annoyed. But such is the depth and breadth of Jesus’
compassion that he heals those who are sick. It’s striking that
Matthew mentions Jesus’ motivation here. The unveiling of his
authority is not about building a power-base. It’s not self-directed,
even though He had every right to do that, as the creator and ruler of
the universe. He had compassion. He is driven by a deep love for those
he created. Those who suffer, under physical and spiritual burdens.

• Challenge v15-17
At the end of the day the crowd is tired and hungry and Jesus
challenges his disciples to provide for them. Probably at least 10,000
people. That’s a big crowd. Parents get concerned if the wedding guest
list gets over 100. 200 is extreme. How are we going to feed them all?
Here Jesus casually tells his disciples to give them something to eat.
In one of the other gospels we’re told that it would take 8 months
wages ($30-40K) to feed that many. Jesus challenges them to do it. How
would you have responded to that?

• The Messiah provides v18-21
Why is this miracle so popular with the gospel writers? All of them
include it, and 2 include another account of miraculous feeding,
making 6 accounts in all. Do they like the idea of everyone getting a
feed, and a free one at that? It’s certainly appealing, isn’t it?
There are 3 connections here that we must recognise if we are to get
the full force of this miracle. Firstly, there is a connection back to
the monumental provision of God in the wilderness for his people as
they wandered in the desert after the rescue from slavery in Egypt.
For 40 years God provided manna from heaven - all that they needed for
their daily bread. God the Creator and rescuer has a history as a
provider. The Jews had an expectation that when the Messiah came again
there would be provision of food in the desert. In one of the
apocryphal books (2 Baruch 29:8) it was written: “It shall come to
pass at that time that the treasury of manna shall again descend from
on high, and they will eat of it in those years, because these are
they who have come to the consummation of the ages”. This expectation
was being fulfilled before their eyes. Secondly, there is a connection
forward for Matthew’s readers – to the great heavenly banquet when all
God’s people sit down to feast in the fulfilled Kingdom. Thirdly, and
most importantly, there is the connection to Jesus’ eternal provision
for his people. There are 4 verbs that Matthew uses as he describes
what Jesus did on that day. V19. Taking the bread and fish, giving
thanks, breaking the bread, giving to the disciples. These are the
same verbs that are used in the accounts of the Lord’s supper (in the
gospels and in 1 Cor 11) and in the account of the Emmaus meal with
the risen Jesus. John, in his gospel records the teaching of Jesus
around this miracle – that He is the bread of life. That it’s through
partaking of Him, receiving what he did on the cross to rescue us and
bring us forgiveness that we are eternally provided for. It’s
magnificent. Very significant. All pointing to the fact that this
provider King has come to do a lot more than feed hungry bellies.

3. In rescue v22-36
After this great picnic, feast, and the gathering up of the 12 baskets
full of leftovers, Jesus makes his disciples get into the boat and go
on ahead of him, and then sends the crowd home. It’s been a long day.
He goes up on a mountainside to pray.

• Terrified disciples v22-26
The disciples are in the boat, but not making much headway. They are
‘many stadia” off the shore. John is more specific – 25-30 stadia. A
stadion is about 185m. They were about 5km off the shore – nearly
halfway across the lake. There is a strong wind, which has whipped up
waves. Things are tough for the disciples. Somewhere around 3-6am,
Jesus goes out walking on the water to meet them. If they were
stressed out by the wind and the waves before, now they are absolutely
terrified by the sight of someone walking towards them. They think
it’s a ghost. I guess all sorts of things would go through your mind
if you’re in a boat 5km off shore and someone comes walking towards
you. It’s freaky.
Jesus immediately acts to reassure them. How many times to you hear
Jesus saying words like that to his people (and God in the OT): “Take
courage, …don’t be afraid”. Great reassurance.

• “I am” invites trust v27-29
But he says more than that – he gives the reason why they needn’t be
afraid. As well as reassuring them, He says “I am” (NIV “It is I”
masks this). Ego eimi. It’s the same words as God’s revelation to
Moses in the burning bush (Ex 3:14), as he was preparing Moses for the
task of rescuing his people from Egypt; the same as words as used in
John’s gospel in all the “I am” sayings. Jesus is here lining himself
up with the God of Israel. They are slowly learning that this is no
ordinary person, this is God himself come in the flesh. As the scene
unfolds, it becomes clearer that that is how they must treat him, and
they do.
Peter says “Lord if it’s you, tell me to come to you on the water”.
Jesus does. The great ‘I am’ tells Peter to get out of the boat and
come. Peter does. It must have been something, walking on the water
toward Jesus. But then he began to doubt, and fear, and then sink, as
his focus shifted from Jesus, the Lord, to the howling of the wind.
It’s so human isn’t it? We do it all the time. That’s why the writer
to the Hebrews tells us to “fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and
perfector of our faith” (12:2). The eyes wander so easily off our Lord
and onto our troubles, ourselves, anything but Jesus. What happens
next is very encouraging.

• The doubter rescued v30-32
Jesus reaches out and catches him as he’s sinking and lifts him up.
The rescuer at work. They get into the boat and the wind dies. This
Jesus can do anything. Of course he can – he made the wind and the
waves, and they work according to his wishes.
Some say that this whole scenario with Peter is like a mini-drama of
his life. In a few chapters (16:16) he will confess that Jesus is the
Christ. Then at the trial and death of Jesus he will fall – deny his
Lord and Saviour. Then the risen Jesus will restore him.
Jesus doesn’t ignore Peter’s doubts – he confronts them – by asking a
question. For now there is no answer. There is only their response.
Right response to the King
2 things required.

• Total faith v31b, 36
Doubt is about being double minded. Not trusting yourself to the
trustworthy. I guess we all think, what would I have done if I were
Peter? Got out of the boat? Don’t forget there were 11 who didn’t! The
thing about faith is it’s object, not it’s strength. That’s why Jesus
said “if you had the faith of a grain of mustard seed….” Once we know
that Jesus is the King, the absolute sovereign Ruler who can be
trusted, then we must trust him absolutely. Peter is learning that. We
have much more of God’s revelation of who Jesus is than Peter had at
that point. Are we trusting Jesus? That is the only proper response to
this great King.

• Adoring worship v33
The word worship is used very sparingly in the NT. More often than
not, it’s Jesus who is the object. The OT is full of warnings about
worshipping anyone other than the true God. The Jews were very careful
to separate the human and the divine. Worship was for God alone. Here
in this record, you have a whole boatload of Jews falling down and
worshipping Jesus. That is the proper response, as He is God. His
actions on that day have shown it. They recognise his divine authority
and bow down in worship.

What is your response and mine to this Jesus? He has shown his
divinity and authority to us absolutely in his death on the cross in
our place and resurrection from the dead. He really is the King. He
deserves our total trust and adoring worship. Let’s give it to him.