Lookahead re today's session...

kirby...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2006, 12:06:13 PM10/28/06
to edupython
I'm going to write 'Doodle Day' on the board and compare dinking around
with VPython to daydreaming and doodling. We're not aiming for a
specific result, just exercising skills.

The interesting part: unless boning up over the interim (which I
encouraged, but hey, kids have busy social lives) none of them has
VPython skills, nor much Python. But we did a lot of shell work last
Saturday, so they know IDLE basics. I'm just gonna point them to the
API and suggest they go from there (great practice).

However, before getting to Doodle Day (a little later in the session),
I'm going to decipher class syntax and explain __rib__ notation.
Calling it __rib__ notation is my idiosyncratic innovation, memorable
because a Snake (e.g. Python) has a lot of ribs, which are integral
parts of the snake, just as __add__, __call__ and so on let us poke at
low level syntax (part of what makes Python so LISPish).

I usually do Dog and Pony classes, or something like that, with a Human
thrown in for good measure (they're used to that from Sims, where the
pets are the add-ons). I don't favor diving into abstract mathematics
and class syntax in the same exposure, if both are somewhat alien to
begin with. No, keep to the warm and fuzzy imagery. The starkly
lexical nature of class syntax alone, is plenty scary enough,
especially with that crazy 'self' running around.

My average taker of this course is a 14-16 year old male, already
fairly self confidant, familiar with algebra. That's not a demographic
I insist on as a teacher, but I'm not complaining either. I used to be
a high school math teacher for a living and have few problems relating
to younger people, even from the standpoint of being a gray.

Kirby

kirby...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2006, 3:00:25 PM11/2/06
to edupython
Looking back on Lookahead...

I was right that Vpython is conducive to doodling <<interruption>>[1],
though I primed the pump with some projected scripts showing random
ball generation. Those of you in the loop have already seen my blog
post with the whiteboards [2].

Scoop for edupython: I had a parental unit sitting through much of the
class, which SA may consider unkosher, though as a "leave late pick up
early" maneuver (he was out of the room most of the time) I thought it
was smooth, not disruptive, and I had no problem with it.

He and his son may have discovered a glitch in the Vpython colorizing
method for ring objects -- I still haven't followed up (couldn't get it
to work on the spot, plus it seems the ring API is too out of synch
with cylinder for its own good -- I mean, what's ostensibly a straight
cylinder might be a part of a very long arc right? so treat 'em the
same).

Per the whiteboards, I'm obviously sneaking in lots of focus on
tetrahedra, consistently with my philosophy as a gnu math teacher [3].
My Academy is OK with this, as I'm known around town as a Silicon
Forest exec with plenty of business smarts, plus I'm very focused on
providing interesting employment opportunities for future forest worker
wannabees.

Kirby

[1] rrrring: just got a recorded message from Virginia Linder running
for Oregon Supreme Court, so far she has my attention and respect:
http://www.judgevirginialinder.com/

[2] class writeup:
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2006/10/whiteboard-doodles.html

[3] http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=5341482&tstart=0