Popplet organizing other Wiki-to-Speech, Etherpad and Popplet content

John Graves

Jul 7, 2011, 3:27:36 PM7/7/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Follow this link
http://popplet.com/app/#/50263
to see the "map" captured in the attached PDF.

A Popplet gives you a zoomable, interactive overview.

On-line, the Popplet offers links to

Etherpads - collaborative documents where you can enter your topic areas of interest or notes about the on-line sessions

Popplets - other maps, showing some of the eduMOOC resources and one idea for organizing our theories of on-line learning

Wiki-to-Speech - slide presentations with computer-generated voice overs, discussing eduMOOC resources, the week 1 presentation summary and the first eduMOOCast summary

Would be very interested in having some collaborative development of this Popplet and linked content. I would open the Popplet to anyone immediately if I could, but Popplet requires that I invite you to collaborate once you have joined Popplet (at least, I think that's how it works ...), so please contact me so I know to invite you.

John Graves
john....@aut.ac.nz
+64 21 213 8367 (mobile)
http://bit.ly/JohnGravesLinkedIn

eduMOOCwikitospeech.pdf

b.d.boardman

Jul 7, 2011, 5:47:06 PM7/7/11
to eduMOOC
This my first time seeing Popplets. I really like the visual quality,
although I'm wondering if we (collectively speaking) are either 1)
simply making dull (no offense) information look more exciting, or if
we are 2) actually seeing a cultural shift in how information is
shared and communicated (or both).

With both Prezi and Popplets, I see the potential for showing more
complex and non-linear relationships in a dynamic format. What I'm not
seeing is any real change in the information itself. In many ways, I
see these tools in the same rut that e-book (in particular e-text
books) face. For the last ten years, an ebook has simply been a 1:1
digital version of the printed page. This was fine, at first, but it
really isn't taking full advantage of the dynamic and interactive
capibilities of the digital formal. In fact, up until I heard of
J.K.Rowling's Pottermore project (http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=i5DOKOt7ZF4) I didn't think that ebooks were every going to break
out of the 2-dimensional rut of print books.

What do you think, are tools like Prezi and Popplets transformation,
or are they just jazzed up power points?

b.d.boardman

On Jul 7, 12:27 pm, "John Graves" <john.gra...@aut.ac.nz> wrote:
> Follow this linkhttp://popplet.com/app/#/50263
> john.gra...@aut.ac.nz
> +64 21 213 8367 (mobile)http://bit.ly/JohnGravesLinkedIn
>
>  eduMOOCwikitospeech.pdf
> 341KViewDownload

Leigh Makay

Jul 7, 2011, 7:37:27 PM7/7/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I can respond regarding Prezi because I use it in teaching and also with my Public Speaking students.  Prezi is a tool that facilitates speech construction, memory, and delivery.  In construction, getting students to throw their ideas onto the pallette, add their research, draw the connections to make their main points with supporting data, and then make it visual,l is engaging.  They get creative as they think about how they want the audience to think about their points (relationship of data) - should they see the broad perspective (zoom out) or focus (zoom in)?  Then, they replace their words with images of some sort (once they get it, they don't need to replace, because they use the images initially.  The process is verbal, visual, and kinesthetic.  The result is that it aids memory.  I find students less anxious in presenting their speech because they know the information.  There is no way to construct a speech using Prezi that is researched at the last minute!

It's interactive, in that the audience is experiencing the speech as well.  They are more engaged.  PowerPoint results in reading the slides and increases anxiety.  Even though there are some tools in PP to add media, the thought process in construction is linear.  After they write their speech, they construct the PP from the speech.  In Prezi, the Prezi is the speech.  There's a huge difference between the two and a huge difference in learning outcomes as well.

--

Leigh Makay, Ph.D.

Contributing Faculty
Center for Undergraduate Studies
Walden University
155 Fifth Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401
Web site: www.waldenu.edu

John Graves

Jul 29, 2011, 9:11:57 AM7/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I think the key transformational aspect in presentation or ebook technology is the collaborative aspect. This is where Wikipedia stands out from Encyclopædia Britannica. Had you picked up the fact that Wikipedia now has 25 times as much content?

Here is an example of a PDF book that gets rebuilt every night based on reader feedback: