Attention Span

b.d.boardman

Jul 1, 2011, 8:59:00 PM7/1/11
to eduMOOC
Since we are now about a week into the eduMOOC, I am starting to
wonder what the correlation is between time spent "online" and time
spent in a classroom?

As I find myself checking in with the various discussion threads,
posts, online articles, and misc content throughout the day I notice
that I'm beginning to "chunk" my MOOC time into small 5-10 minute
segements that perhaps, by the end of the day, may add up to an hour
or more. I am wondering if other participants are having a similar
experience, and what the larger implications are of this approach to
learning.

In addition, as my attention wanders a little throughout the day, I am
also wondering if 8-weeks is the most appropriate span of time for a
MOOC? Given the content and online dynamic, I wonder if a more
"concentrated" time span (like 2-4 weeks) might be more effective for
this particular learning model?

So, does anyone have any comments or thoughts on the topic that they
would like to share?

b.d.boardman

Vance

Jul 2, 2011, 4:54:25 AM7/2/11
to eduMOOC
I'm quite interested in this topic as well. I've dabbled in MOOCs
before and use Dave Cormier's videos in a course I teach on
Multiliteracies at http://goodbyegutenberg.pbworks.com. I have lately
modeled my approach in this course on the MOOC model, only there I
call it miniscule open online course, on the assumption that the
approach scales downwards nicely.

That course is a part of the TESOL Electronic Village online sessions,
http://evosessions.pbworks.com which also run for a similar length of
time. I think we've possibly held them for 8 weeks in the past? Can't
recall exactly, but for a while we ran them for 6 weeks, and have the
last couple of sessions cut that back to 5 after noticing that people
just got worn out toward the end of it. It's intensive for the
volunteer moderators, a long time for them to have to sustain
momentum.

But in a MOOC it really shouldn't be up to the moderators to have to
drive the course like a 20 mule team. A course that is set up nicely
around topics can run itself. Especially once you get people
interacting. As George Siemens told me once, it was his job to
provide cohesion to the course. After that what can you do with 2000
+ participants?

Nellie Deutsch tweeted a question on the #edumooc tag asking " I
wonder if it's necessary to stay to the very end of a MOOC. What will
you gain by completing a MOOC?" I replied "asked another way, what
will you gain by starting a MOOC or lurking in one? The answer is
'whatever is gained' :-)" to which Nellie muses: "Maybe there's more
learning in quitting before the end. Would it be the same if the MOOC
were not free and for credit?"

This reminds me of a line in one of my favorite Rush songs, "the point
of the journey is not to arrive." The double meaning there is either
that arriving at the destination is not the reason we travel, or that
the point of traveling is to stay on the road and never end the
journey. The question of 'arrival' is what Nellie seems to be getting
at. However B.D. Boardman brings up the amount of time we should
spend on the journey, and asks for insights on that question, which is
what I am addressing here.

To me it's very transcendental. The point of the journey is to be on
it. It doesn't matter how much time you spend on it or when or where
it ends, if it does. YOU could focus here for 2-4 weeks if that's
right for you, or 5 min. a day for the duration if that will benefit
you. That's why I said to Nellie that you gain "whatever is gained."
Whatever that is, it's quantums over gaining nothing by not
participating at all.

As Ken Robinson says in "The Element", there are 6.93 billion
different intelligences on the planet, a number that he would have to
revise upward as people are born; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population.
Accordingly I would say there are 2000+ approaches to coping with this
particular MOOC, and the same number of opinions on how much time it
should take. I glanced over the reading on Disrupting College and I'm
reading the book by Clayton Christensen et al. on Disrupting Class
http://www.claytonchristensen.com/. There, a key point is that
education is not one size fits all, people learn differently, evincing
6.93 billion different intelligences or learning styles, to use Ken
Robinson's figure

I'm participating here by blogging around the topic, tweeting, setting
up a scoop it at http://www.scoop.it/t/edumooc/, and working whatever
and whomever I encounter in this course into my workflow. This post
is one salvo among many being inspired by eduMOOC 2011 as we speak,
with slim chance of my reading many of those other salvos, or of a
significant number reading this one. Unless we consider that one
person changed through encountering the opinion of one other is a
significant number, which it is.

Learning is change; which is to say that if nothing changes, then
nothing has been learned. Ergo, as we learn we change and as we
encounter one another in that process of learning we change one
another. The idea of a MOOC I think is to create one cauldron into
which you pour a heap of ideas and stir, and change emerges. Stephen
Downes was once asked why he put himself in the position of having to
support such a huge endeavor, and he said, because he would learn from
it. What is clear from the premise of Christensen's books for example
is that there are many aspects of education that need to change, and
what we are doing here is coming to grips with that.

The questions of how long or whether to see the course through to the
end are good ones to be asking, but the problem with the answers is
that there are 6.93 billion of them.

Vance Stevens
http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

M C Morgan

Jul 3, 2011, 8:42:04 AM7/3/11
to eduMOOC
I chunk my time on the MOOCs I've participated in, although my chunks
run 30 - 60 mins at a time. I (physically) move away from what I'm
looking at while I do something else - yard work, walking, taking care
of department and university matters ... This has been a matter of
necessity: I always have something else going on during the MOOC:
traveling, teaching, taking care of summer stuff. It doesn't bother
me, and I almost always find one day a week when I can spend an
extended time (3 - 4 hours) on a MOOC project. And now that you
brought it up, I think like the ability to dip in periodically, then
take a deep drink when I have the time.

I took my working habits into account when I introduced MOOCish
practices in an upper-division course I taught in social media this
last spring. I set up a set of weekly projects students could choose
from (or they could engage their own), and encouraged them to take
things on in short but frequent chunks: I wanted students to work on
something every day - then have the project weekly project done by a
set date. In fact, the better projects came from those students who
dipped in lightly but frequently (and tweeted their doings each time).
Others seemed to put the project aside until the last minute. As a
result, those projects are pretty superficial: first passes, really.
These are students who like to concentrate their efforts into the a
moment.

So given this I'm not sure the concentrated time span of 2 - 4 weeks
would let things develop in the same way. Again, as Vance mentions, a
MOOC that extends over weeks can be leisurely - or participants can
set their own pace and drive forward. There's no required set content
or order. Because much of the material is already online, those who
want to jump ahead can do so. They might get something different than
others, but that's not an issue.

Or maybe it *is* the issue. That is, MOOCs are not designed as
traditional courses where admins set what is going to be learned, and
in what sequence, and at what pace. Individual participants set that -
very likely adjusting it repeatedly as the course topics come and go
and groups form and dissolve, and probably adjusting the how and when
with other participants. The MOOC follows a different model, one that
allows participants to set their own pace and follow their own
interests. Walkathon rather than marathon, maybe. When the MOOC is
really working, those who are moving quickly will provide even more
things to work with for those who are moving more leisurely. Those who
are strolling can pick up and build even more on the earlier material.
The next MOOC coming up that I know of, Change 2011, starts in
September and runs nine months. That creates a different kind of
concentration than this short 8-weeker.

I come from a literary background and as a grad student I learned how
to read a 600 page novel in a day or two - and how to slow down to
read poetry closely. I loved reading that way, and I got what I needed
out of it. Now I dip into those same novels in 30 minute chunks and
get something else from them. I've been re-reading *Ulysses* for the
last few weeks at this rate - and I've been searching out and viewing
youtube vids and audio clips of the novel - then going back to the
novel and re-considering the text from the perspectives of the clip.
Then I tweet what I've been watching or reading or finding out. This
is to say that my MOOC workflow might be infecting my academic
workflow.

m c morgan

buf...@verizon.net

Jul 3, 2011, 9:26:32 AM7/3/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
There is no reason for the eduMOOC to be fixed at 8weeks. If we truly decide what to study we can also decide how long to study it for. It is a new paradigm....treat it like an uncourse.....

Rebecca

Jul 5, 2011, 11:31:30 AM7/5/11
to eduMOOC
Personally, I think that 6-weeks might be a key amount of time. It is
long enough to get in-depth, but short enough to maintain my attention
span. This MOOC will tell me if 8-weeks is going to be too long or not
- but I know the last week will be competing with my vacation, so
likely I'll become silent at that point, trading in blogging about
edumooc for blogging about cycle touring :).

I've also signed up for a much longer Mooc in the fall/winter, but I
suspect that my interest will wax and wane based on other things going
on in my life. I like to be able to really dedicate time to learning
ventures, to get the most out of them, so anything longer than 6-8
weeks will pose a challenge.

Cheers,
Rebecca

Apostolos K.

Jul 5, 2011, 3:48:34 PM7/5/11
to eduMOOC
I think that a 2-4 week MOOC is certainly possible, however I see it
not as a time spent, but rather quality of engaged. In a face to face
class you won't have 100% engagement. Your mind drifts, you daydream,
and you might doodle (ok you might not, but I certainly do). The same
happens in an online class. You don't need to have "eyeballs on
screen" time (the equivalent to butts-in-seats) but you need to make
sure that people have quality engagement. Having a 2-4 week course
means either less content to cover OR much much more screentime and
engagement during the day, otherwise you're missing something in that
short time span.

I am actually toying around with a 12 month MOOC (with breaks
throughout the year) for language learning purposes. In the end it
depends on planning, execution, and mentoring (you don't want your
learners and participants to burn out!)

Vanessa Vaile

Jul 5, 2011, 7:05:17 PM7/5/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone given any thought to a permanent rolling registration MOOC
as an ongoing study skill or discipline specific study group? (Yes,
floating crap game comes to mind)

Teaching classes of different lengths, I notice rhythm changes. There
is also the even shorter, more intense forms, variously called
workshops, clinics, short course, sometimes seminars designated by
length ~ depending on the field.

--
Vanessa Vaile
Mountainair NM

b.d.boardman

Jul 7, 2011, 5:55:11 PM7/7/11
to eduMOOC
What if there was an on-going, rolling MOOC with each "module" only
lasting one to two weeks, but the entire thing lasting six months or
more? Would that be too much for a moderator to manage? If
participants could "check in" and "chceck out" for their selected
weeks, it might be possible to ended up with more targeted discussions
and mreo active engagement throughout the entire "event" as opposed to
the massive surge of activity in weeks one, three, six and eight?

On Jul 5, 4:05 pm, Vanessa Vaile <vanessa.87...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone given any thought to a permanent rolling registration MOOC
> as an ongoing study skill or discipline specific study group? (Yes,
> floating crap game comes to mind)
>
> Teaching classes of different lengths, I notice rhythm changes. There
> is also the even shorter, more intense forms, variously called
> workshops, clinics, short course, sometimes seminars designated by
> length  ~ depending on the field.
>
> On 7/5/11, Apostolos K. <a.koutropou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that a 2-4 week MOOC is certainly possible, however I see it
> > not as a time spent, but rather quality of engaged.  In a face to face
> > class you won't have 100% engagement.  Your mind drifts, you daydream,
> > and you might doodle (ok you might not, but I certainly do).  The same
> > happens in an online class. You don't need to have "eyeballs on
> > screen" time (the equivalent to butts-in-seats) but you need to make
> > sure that people have quality engagement.  Having a 2-4 week course
> > means either less content to cover OR much much more screentime and
> > engagement during the day, otherwise you're missing something in that
> > short time span.
>
> > I am actually toying around with a 12 month MOOC (with breaks
> > throughout the year) for language learning purposes. In the end it
> > depends on planning, execution, and mentoring (you don't want  your
> > learners and participants to burn out!)
>
> --
> Vanessa Vaile
> Mountainair NM
> vanessa.87...@gmail.com

Caradae

Jul 7, 2011, 8:07:39 PM7/7/11
to eduMOOC
I find myself more active online than I do when I am in a classroom. I
find it easier to concentrate and I am able to check and double check
my work and make sure I have everything that is needed. I am also
obsessive about checking throughout the day, so getting emails to let
me know of responses is something that I have always wanted, keeps the
time on the board limited for me. I have been liking this setup quite
well and find it very easy to use and navigate.

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Jul 8, 2011, 4:15:16 AM7/8/11
to eduMOOC
To me a MOOC can have a varied timespan, but indeed like Apostolos
suggested the engagement is very much linked to the quality a
participant is willing to spend on it. I feel that as a participant,
you need to make sure in advance on how much time you can spend in a
MOOC.

As Vance noticed, if a course is set up well, it can even be driven by
the participants in the course themselves. As such it is perfectly
possible to start a MOOC amongst experts that want to learn or deepen
their insights in a specific topic. Which might result in a short OOC
course (not necessarily massive in numbers of participants, but stil
open and online).

For me, I do an estimate on how much time I am willing to spend (but
this can change as the MOOC evolves). For the eduMOOC, I wanted to put
more time in the OERu planning and structuring group, as I just became
a mother and I knew upfront that I could only spend little parts of my
time in the eduMOOC. Meaning that if I would want to stay on top of
all the discussions, this would take me much more time than looking at
a small part of all the discussions.

Apostolos K.

Jul 11, 2011, 10:04:15 AM7/11/11
to eduMOOC
One of the issues that needs to be resolved is how does a MOOC
organize itself?
Is it a confederation of smaller independent modules? or is it like a
"traditional course" where each week is required so that you build up
complexity as the course goes along?
If it's a confederation, then people can easily dip and in and out
without much consequence to themselves (they may inadvertently affect
the group because if people don't see activity in some weeks they may
be discouraged from attending future sessions). If on the other hand a
MOOC is setup like a traditional course that increases in complexity
as time goes on, and you need a foundation in certain concepts before
moving on, then dipping in and out is less of an option. Sure, MOOCs
are open, so people can go back to an "older" MOOC like CCK11 for
example and go through the material, but without a cohort to go
through it with you, you are missing out on a lot.

Vanessa Vaile

Jul 11, 2011, 10:23:56 AM7/11/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Good points - definitely considerations to add to a once and future
but always evolving MOOC FAQ (in the look before you leap or leave),
but I rather doubt MOOCs will settle into one or the other - both
kinds will co-exist along with hybrid variants and no doubt new forms

I also see a place for a floating "basics" or "how to mooc" MOOC.
Addendum to missing out on a lot taking a MOOC (moocking it?) in the
past tense w/o cohort: yes but that does not hold quite so much when
you return to the archives of a mooc you lurked or left early,
especially if you thought to add threads, course blogs, weekly updates
to feed reader (tagged and bundled to facilitate future finding and
refinding).

vaness...@gmail.com

Rebecca

Jul 11, 2011, 6:43:23 PM7/11/11
to eduMOOC
Hi Vanessa,

I think the issue with the "rolling" MOOC is that the novelty wares
off quickly. Without that novelty, you don't get the "massive" in the
number of people. You can already see with eduMOOC people dropping
off. The longer away from the start, the smaller number of connections
being made (I'd love to actually be able to measure that, it would
make a pretty cool graphic!

Cheers,
Rebecca

On Jul 5, 7:05 pm, Vanessa Vaile <vanessa.87...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone given any thought to a permanent rolling registration MOOC
> as an ongoing study skill or discipline specific study group? (Yes,
> floating crap game comes to mind)
>
> Teaching classes of different lengths, I notice rhythm changes. There
> is also the even shorter, more intense forms, variously called
> workshops, clinics, short course, sometimes seminars designated by
> length  ~ depending on the field.
>
> On 7/5/11, Apostolos K. <a.koutropou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that a 2-4 week MOOC is certainly possible, however I see it
> > not as a time spent, but rather quality of engaged.  In a face to face
> > class you won't have 100% engagement.  Your mind drifts, you daydream,
> > and you might doodle (ok you might not, but I certainly do).  The same
> > happens in an online class. You don't need to have "eyeballs on
> > screen" time (the equivalent to butts-in-seats) but you need to make
> > sure that people have quality engagement.  Having a 2-4 week course
> > means either less content to cover OR much much more screentime and
> > engagement during the day, otherwise you're missing something in that
> > short time span.
>
> > I am actually toying around with a 12 month MOOC (with breaks
> > throughout the year) for language learning purposes. In the end it
> > depends on planning, execution, and mentoring (you don't want  your
> > learners and participants to burn out!)
>
> --
> Vanessa Vaile
> Mountainair NM
> vanessa.87...@gmail.com

Vanessa Vaile

Jul 11, 2011, 8:47:20 PM7/11/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking rolling for a modified study group with students coming and going, some for a limited time / just in time with a clear end point / goal in sight, others staying longer, some leaving and coming back.

Yes, I recognize such a course may not 'qualify' as a mooc, know the mystery mooc-handshake. So shoot me. I still keep thinking about adaptations for projects (online study groups, community programs for professional development, literacy, ESL, GED, prep for licensing exams) that would not have massive, all at one time numbers. Adequate mentoring strikes me as being more of a problem than attention span for rolling structure.

Novelty by definition always wears off - unless everyone has a prior commitment and leaves early. Learning projects should not have to depend on 'novelty' ~ suspiciously faddish sounding (but maybe that's just the closet medievalist speaking)

Not knowing whether or not something would work - or even be a mooc if it did - does not keep me from thinking about it.

I'm also interested in how moocs not on pedagogical subjects are working. I came across this proposal for language learning mooc (LMOOC) to follow.

Vanessa

Apostolos K.

Jul 12, 2011, 9:20:29 AM7/12/11
to eduMOOC
I think the novelty does wear off in a rolling MOOC...after all, isn't
a rolling MOOC the same as a bulletin board system? (a part of your
own PLE where you can dip in and out of as often as you like?)

Apostolos K.

Jul 12, 2011, 9:27:28 AM7/12/11
to eduMOOC
In one of the eduMOOC groups I brought up the idea to create a
MOOCbook modeled after the Theory and Practice of Online Learning
(http://www.aupress.ca/index.php/books/120146) A number of authors
could sign on to write chapters for the MOOCbook, it can be peer
edited and reviewed and then it can be free as an eBook, but also for
sale (a TPOL is). Having TPOL be an Athabasca University publication
is a great model for this book.

We just need to find interested and knowledgeable authors to determine
content (including educational theory, educational practice, MOOC
theory, MOOC examples, MOOC past practice, MOOC post-mortem analysis,
how to setup your own MOOC and learner success in a MOOC, just to name
a few ideas for chapters), write chapters, get an editor for the book,
and see how it goes from there.

If the book is released under creative commons, others can add to it
later on, then second and subsequent editions can be put together
after more MOOC research has been done.

I volunteer to write the success in a MOOC chapter lol ;-)

AK