Computable Document Format.(CDF): new interactive document format

John Graves

Jul 29, 2011, 9:50:20 AM7/29/11
to eduMOOC
Computable Document Format.
This revolutionizes the experience of reading.

Watch the presentation at http://www.wolfram.com/broadcast/screencasts/announcing_cdf/

Mary Rearick

Jul 29, 2011, 10:46:53 AM7/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Oh, wow, this is very well done. Thanks for sharing it in the edumooc.

john stampe

Jul 29, 2011, 4:08:14 PM7/29/11
to eduMOOC
Interesting. On doing some searching I found these out: currently the
only way to produce cdf is to use Mathematica - a well-known closed-
source mathematics program -- by Wolfram, the same people who propose
cdf.

The cdf reader program is a stripped down version of mathematica.
According to Wolfram this is because it needs the computational power
of mathematica. It sound as though cdf requires a rather heavyweight
reader. Indeed to write a cdf document you need to be able to at the
level of using spreadsheet macros (again according to Wolfram).

The format is supposed to be open, but I (and others) cannot find the
specifications. It is also licensed so that it can be used for
commerical use.

Some further links:

FAQ: http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/faq/

See Comments on