Week Two; What the Research Tells Us

Anil

Jul 4, 2011, 11:13:10 AM7/4/11
to eduMOOC
Hi friends,

This week's topic - "What the Research Tells Us" - is really an
interesting topic! I think, we should start from the success as well
as failure stories from corporate sector in this respect. Because the
possibilities of ODL including its eLearning variants are being
greatly made use by the Corporate Sector. You may love to read "An
Assessment of the Effectiveness of e-learning in Corporate Training
Programs" - International Review of Research in Open and Distance
Learning by Judith Strother, Florida Institute of Technology published
way back in 2002. I would also like to refer to the success stories of
the Distributed Learning System (DLS) of U.S. Army. Then let us move
to the higher education scenario. Your thoughts?

Warm regards,

Anil
http://www.aplettters.blogspot.com
http://www.wikieducator.org/User:Anil_Prasad

Paul

Jul 5, 2011, 2:45:33 AM7/5/11
to eduMOOC
Hi Anil,

Yes, I think this will be a very interesting week for all eduMOOcers -
http://sites.google.com/site/edumooc/edumooc-week-two-what-the-research-tells-us
- as it may help balance our perspectives in revealing the research
for/against on specific topics that we all care and share for.

I agree that Judith Strother´s review - http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/download/83/161
- is a good read, and it gets interesting from page 3 onwards!
However, there are many other papers of concern and maybe this thread
we can all link to them?

I am very interested to hear about research that has taken place
regards FORMATIVE assessment in ODL learning. When we consider
Black&Wiliam´s research - http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/accountability/educators/insidetheblackbox1998.pdf
+ http://web.me.com/dylanwiliam/Dylan_Wiliams_website/Welcome.html -
and also our own practice and experience as educators, there seems a
huge discussion of summative assessment for e-learning (thats great!)
but with little focus/attention on formative assessment and pace of
learning towards such learning objectives.

Thanks for the tip Anil and hope you have a successful MOOC!

best regards

Paul

jmtoribio

Jul 5, 2011, 1:31:13 PM7/5/11
to eduMOOC
Hello everyone
I think the research is an important process in the development of
societies and today there is progress so the resulting impact on the
development of a country, a region, a continent, but even their
benefit is for sectors reduced different societies. The research
brings progress, modernity, at what cost? Education is still a
provilegio for many is not a human right, but even if we turn it into
a business as is already the case today in many countries. This
experience leads to the permanent search for solutions that actually
reduce the gaps between countries to avoid the destruction of our
global village.

successes and best regards

On 5 jul, 00:45, Paul <paul.bettin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hola Anil,
>
> Sí, creo que esta será una semana muy interesante para todos eduMOOcers -http://sites.google.com/site/edumooc/edumooc-week-two-what-the-resear ...
> -, Ya que puede ayudar a equilibrar nuestros puntos de vista en la revelación de la investigación
> favor / en contra de determinados temas que a todos nos importa y compartir para.
>
> Estoy de acuerdo en que Judith Strother de revisión -http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/download/83/161
> - Es una buena lectura, y la cosa se pone interesante de la página 3 en adelante!
> Sin embargo, hay muchos otros documentos de interés y tal vez este hilo
> que pueden vincularse a ellos?
>
> Estoy muy interesado en escuchar acerca de la investigación que ha tenido lugar
> se refiere a la evaluación formativa en el aprendizaje de educación abierta ya distancia. Si tenemos en cuenta
> Investigación y negro de Wiliam -http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/docs/accountability/educators/insidethebla ...
> +http://web.me.com/dylanwiliam/Dylan_Wiliams_website/Welcome.html-
> y también nuestra propia práctica y experiencia educativa, parece haber un
> discusión enorme de la evaluación sumativa del aprendizaje electrónico (eso es genial!)
> pero con poca atención / atención en la evaluación formativa y el ritmo de
> aprendizaje hacia los objetivos de aprendizaje.
>
> Gracias por la punta de Anil y esperamos que tenga una MOOC éxito!
>
> saludos
>
> Pablo
>
> El 04 de julio, 5:13 pm, Anil <aplett...@ gmail.com> escribió:
>

> > Hola amigos,
>
> > El tema de esta semana - "¿Qué nos dicen las investigaciones" - es en realidad una
> > Tema interesante! Creo que deberíamos empezar por el éxito, así
> > Como las historias de fracaso del sector empresarial en este sentido. Debido a que el
> > Posibilidades de educación abierta ya distancia incluyendo las variantes de su aprendizaje en línea se están
> > Enormemente hecho uso por el sector empresarial. Es posible que le encanta leer "Un
> > Evaluación de la eficacia del e-learning en la formación corporativa
> > Programas "- Revista Internacional de Investigación en abierta ya distancia
> > Aprendizaje por Judith Strother, Florida Institute of Technology publicado
> > Allá por 2002. También me gustaría hacer referencia a las historias de éxito de
> > Sistema de Aprendizaje Distribuido (DLS) de Ejército de los EE.UU.. Entonces vamos a mover
> > Para el escenario de la educación superior. Sus pensamientos?
>
> > Un cordial saludo,
>
> > Anilhttp://www.aplettters.blogspot.comhttp://www.wikieducator.org/User:An ...

Jose I. Icaza

Jul 6, 2011, 2:43:11 PM7/6/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:31:13 PM UTC-5, jmtoribio wrote:
>  The research
brings progress, modernity, at what cost? (...)
 permanent search for solutions that actually
reduce the gaps between countries to avoid the destruction of our
global village.

I appreciate your concern for sustainability and for bringing education to all. On the first, you may be interested in this white paper that John Graves posted to this group: http://www.iseesystems.com/resources/Articles/STELLA%20IST%20-%20Chapter%201.pdfIt argues that we are not teaching our students systemic habits of thought needed to solve global problems.

On the second, the area of research called [ICT4D] (Information technology for development) deals with solutions for education and development based on IT. One of these efforts is the famous project [Hole in the wall] in India. Another is the [TecnoTzotzil] project that I did with indigenous kids in Chiapas, Mexico but there are many others

successes and best regards

same to you

--jose