Anyone interested in a little eduMOOC research?

Wayne Mackintosh

Jun 28, 2011, 1:03:10 AM6/28/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

There is a range of opinion regarding the pedagogical effectiveness of an open curriculum, more freedom and less structured approaches typically implemented by MOOCs. For example, David Wiley points out that the less well prepared a person is academically, the more supportive structure they will need to support their learning. In contrast, George Siemens suggests that the "process of clarifying confusion and disorientation – sensemaking and wayfinding in complex settings – is the learning.

The OER university is exploring the MOOC model as a delivery option. Therefore, our  OERu eduMOOC study group has a keen interest in learner profiles and the kinds of learners the MOOC model can serve.

I was thinking that our study group could research and draft a survey for eduMOOC participants. Everything will be developed transparently and openly licensed including the data -- which will then be available for anyone to use in their own research and publications.

Any thoughts and ideas from members of the list?

Wayne

Apostolos K.

Jun 28, 2011, 10:55:37 AM6/28/11
to eduMOOC
As someone how is interested in implementing a MOOC as part of my PhD
dissertation (when I get to that stage), I am interested in this and
would be happy to lend a hand/co-research/co-write/participate in
this.

Learner profiles are definitely one big factor in how open or defined
the course is. I think part of the "issue" (not really an issue but I
can't come up with another term) is that a MOOC is a course, and
courses have traditionally been highly structured - this then can
become an expectation among participants.

On Jun 28, 1:03 am, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There is a range of opinion regarding the pedagogical effectiveness of an
> open curriculum, more freedom and less structured approaches typically
> implemented by MOOCs. For example, David Wiley<http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1864>points out that the less well prepared a person is academically, the more
> supportive structure they will need to support their learning. In contrast, George
> Siemens <http://www.connectivism.ca/?p=321> suggests that the "process of
> clarifying confusion and disorientation – sensemaking and wayfinding in
> complex settings – *is the learning*.
>
> The OER university is exploring the MOOC model as a delivery option.
> Therefore, our  OERu eduMOOC study group<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group>has a keen interest in learner profiles and the kinds of learners the MOOC

Vanessa Vaile

Jun 28, 2011, 11:31:42 AM6/28/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how helpful I would but am interested ... MOOC + OERu is a natural combination imo

keith.hamon

Jun 28, 2011, 3:13:07 PM6/28/11
to eduMOOC
Wayne, I'm keenly interested in the conversation about the efficacy of
MOOCs and other open educational structures—in fact, I just commented
on Dave Cormier's post <http://bit.ly/jergHA> about the Wiley/Siemens
exchange. This is my fourth MOOC, and while I'm a fan, I do think they
need a critical eye. Let me know what you have in mind, and I will try
to help.

Sandy

Jun 28, 2011, 6:35:27 PM6/28/11
to eduMOOC
Wayne,
A survey sounds like a wonderful idea -- if there is anyway I can
help, please let me know!
Sandy Hale
http://myfirstmooc.blogspot.com/

wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> There is a range of opinion regarding the pedagogical effectiveness of an
> open curriculum, more freedom and less structured approaches typically
> implemented by MOOCs. For example, David Wiley<http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1864>points out that the less well prepared a person is academically, the more
> supportive structure they will need to support their learning. In contrast, George
> Siemens <http://www.connectivism.ca/?p=321> suggests that the "process of
> clarifying confusion and disorientation – sensemaking and wayfinding in
> complex settings – *is the learning*.
>
> The OER university is exploring the MOOC model as a delivery option.
> Therefore, our  OERu eduMOOC study group<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group>has a keen interest in learner profiles and the kinds of learners the MOOC

Wayne Mackintosh

Jun 28, 2011, 10:59:27 PM6/28/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Apostolos,  Vanessa, Sandy, Keith and eduMOOCers

Thanks for reaching out -- it's amazing to see the levels of interest and the gifting culture among education professionals worldwide in building more sustainable education futures.  Thank goodness for digital technologies and innovative implementations like MOOCs.

So here is where our study group is at.

We started brainstorming possible outcomes for our eduMOOC engagement. There is a real-life dimension to what we're aiming to do -- that is develop plans for the implementation of the OERu. At this stage, there are four main activities or areas of interest which are emerging:
  1. A web study scanning resources on online learning and distance education focusing on the question of student attrition aiming to provide recommendations for the panning of the OERu delivery model
  2. An activity to collaboratively design, develop and administer an eduMOOC survey focusing on MOOC learner profiles, digital and social media literacies and information management strategies.
  3. Conduct a comparative analysis of the MOOCs to date and the P2PU model comparing issues like: demographics, curriculum approaches, pedagogical approaches, tool sets, etc. culminating in design proposals for the OERu
  4. Research and explore the design considerations for mobile learning and prepare a set of implementation guidelines for the OERu.
Hopefully the outputs of these activities will contribute to the successful planning and implementation of the OERu.  So if you have an interest in designing and implementing "new" universities  -- this is a fun place to be :-).

We've set up a dedicated email list to keep in touch and developing all our plans transparently in the wiki.  Anyone interest is free to self-register on the list and join the study group.

Designing and implementing an OER university is an ambitious task -- we need all the help we can get.

Chat to you soon.
Wayne

rayschroeder

Jun 28, 2011, 11:21:51 PM6/28/11
to eduMOOC
Wayne-

I and my colleagues at the University of Illinois Springfield are also
vitally interested in research on this MOOC. I have been a bit
consumed these past few days in housekeeping and expanding the
resources for the MOOC. I am building a little reflections chronicle
of the process of convening this event at http://edumooc.blogspot.com
.

I am hopeful that we all can learn from this experience.

This MOOC surely will be different than those that came before - I
hope better in some ways for some; no doubt worse in some ways for
some participants. But, through trial and error - AND some careful
documentation, information gathering, and assessment - we may be able
to collect various effective practices.

ray

Vanessa Vaile

Jun 29, 2011, 1:49:33 AM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
It's increasingly less likely we can count on the "usual suspects" to get that done. I want to remember the expression "building more sustainable education futures" ~

edtechsean

Jun 29, 2011, 7:53:38 AM6/29/11
to eduMOOC
Hi Wayne,
I'm very interested in these topics of student attrition and
comparative analysis of MOOCs.
I was an active participant in the recent MobiMOOC, brainchild of Inge
de Waard.

I learned a lot in that MOOC about participant interactions via maps
-hence my interest behind starting the http://tinyurl.com/eduMOOCmap
.

I just joined the OERu listserv and registered on the wikieducator
site. I'd be an honor to join in with the designing and implementing
an OER university!

Best,
Sean C. Abajian @edtechsean
Teacher Adviser,
Los Angeles, CA

On Jun 29, 2:59 am, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Apostolos,  Vanessa, Sandy, Keith and eduMOOCers
>
> Thanks for reaching out -- it's amazing to see the levels of interest and
> the gifting culture among education professionals worldwide in building more
> sustainable education futures.  Thank goodness for digital technologies and
> innovative implementations like MOOCs.
>
> So here is where our study group<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group>is at.
>
> We started brainstorming<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group/Study_g...>possible outcomes for our eduMOOC engagement. There is a real-life dimension
> to what we're aiming to do -- that is develop plans for the implementation
> of the OERu. At this stage, there are four main activities or areas of
> interest which are emerging:
>
>    1. A web study scanning resources on online learning and distance
>    education focusing on the question of student attrition aiming to provide
>    recommendations for the panning of the OERu delivery model
>    2. An activity to collaboratively design, develop and administer an
>    eduMOOC survey focusing on MOOC learner profiles, digital and social media
>    literacies and information management strategies.
>    3. Conduct a comparative analysis of the MOOCs to date and the P2PU model
>    comparing issues like: demographics, curriculum approaches, pedagogical
>    approaches, tool sets, etc. culminating in design proposals for the OERu
>    4. Research and explore the design considerations for mobile learning and
>    prepare a set of implementation guidelines for the OERu.
>
> Hopefully the outputs of these activities will contribute to the successful
> planning and implementation of the OERu.  So if you have an interest in
> designing and implementing "new" universities  -- this is a fun place to be
> :-).

> Anyone interest is free to self-register on the list and join<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group/Members>the study group.

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 29, 2011, 12:52:51 PM6/29/11
to eduMOOC
Hi Wayne,
I am one of those colleagues Ray Schroeder spoke of -- I am a
research associate with COLRS, I am leading the 2nd week's panel and
discussions (on research), and I am very interested in collaborating
on research for this MOOC and beyond. I will check out the study
group and list, but I am wondering for now whether some of us keeping
journals similar to Ray's (although I am not sure I would like to make
it public) would help. I am involved with another project that is
collecting data to explore knowledge management issues -- do you think
something like that might be useful.
Karen Swan

On Jun 28, 9:59 pm, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Apostolos,  Vanessa, Sandy, Keith and eduMOOCers
>
> Thanks for reaching out -- it's amazing to see the levels of interest and
> the gifting culture among education professionals worldwide in building more
> sustainable education futures.  Thank goodness for digital technologies and
> innovative implementations like MOOCs.
>
> So here is where our study group<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group>is at.
>
> We started brainstorming<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group/Study_g...>possible outcomes for our eduMOOC engagement. There is a real-life dimension
> to what we're aiming to do -- that is develop plans for the implementation
> of the OERu. At this stage, there are four main activities or areas of
> interest which are emerging:
>
>    1. A web study scanning resources on online learning and distance
>    education focusing on the question of student attrition aiming to provide
>    recommendations for the panning of the OERu delivery model
>    2. An activity to collaboratively design, develop and administer an
>    eduMOOC survey focusing on MOOC learner profiles, digital and social media
>    literacies and information management strategies.
>    3. Conduct a comparative analysis of the MOOCs to date and the P2PU model
>    comparing issues like: demographics, curriculum approaches, pedagogical
>    approaches, tool sets, etc. culminating in design proposals for the OERu
>    4. Research and explore the design considerations for mobile learning and
>    prepare a set of implementation guidelines for the OERu.
>
> Hopefully the outputs of these activities will contribute to the successful
> planning and implementation of the OERu.  So if you have an interest in
> designing and implementing "new" universities  -- this is a fun place to be
> :-).

> Anyone interest is free to self-register on the list and join<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group/Members>the study group.

Paul

Jun 29, 2011, 3:54:14 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Ray, you are doing a fantastic job!

It would be good to have some kind of counter or approx. number of eduMOOC partcipants, rather than relying on the participant list of introduction or excellent google map that I commented on over at my own eduMOOC blog - http://edumooc2011.tumblr.com

Also, Wayne, I will also like able to contribute to your study group, and will take a good read of it this week!

Looking forward to tmrw evening :)

regards
Paul

Paul

Jun 29, 2011, 3:57:32 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Ray, I see you have reflected on the numbers of eduMOOC participants already in your Numbers Numbing My Mind post!
http://edumooc.blogspot.com/

Wayne Mackintosh

Jun 29, 2011, 8:03:06 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vanessa,

I like to think about OER maturation as an ecosystem.

It is true that the conservatism of the formal education sector is holding back some of the potential of open education and this is where the "eduPunks" and pioneers of "informal" learning constitute an important node in the ecosystem.

What I would like to see is better collaboration, sharing and networking among the nodes in the ecosystem. That is crossing the chasm from "sharing to learn" to "learning to share."

My immediate strategic interests are finding ways for OER learners to acquire credible credentials. I think the "usual suspects" (aka formal sector) has an important role to play and should be coming to the open education table with their contributions in collaboration with the "informal" and "non-formal" sectors in building a rich tapestry of learning opportunities for sustainable education futures.

Exciting times :-)

Wayne Mackintosh

Jun 29, 2011, 8:06:15 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

Thanks for reaching out and great to have you on board. Your experience from mobiMOOC and eduMOOC will add considerable value to the efforts of our OERu eduMOOC study group.

Collectively we're doing important work -- exciting times!

Wayne Mackintosh

Jun 29, 2011, 8:19:42 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
HI Ray,

I don't envy the demands on your personal time and that of your team convening eduMOOC at the moment. It's not possible to get everything done with large courses enrolling thousands of learners. That said, you and your team are doing a sterling job!. Moreover, with open approaches its easier to share the loads and collectively we have a shared interest in the success of eduMOOC :-).

I should mention that we have your eduMOOC blog listed in our RSS blog feed on the front page of our study group and we are keeping up to date with your reflections and updates from a facilitator's perspective.

The OER Foundation, (the non-profit coordinating the OER university efforts) subscribes to open philanthropy. In short this means that all our strategic planning and projects are conducted transparently and openly -- all our outputs are openly licensed, so many opportunities to collaborate.

Thanks for reaching out and we would welcome participation from colleagues at the University of Illinois Springfield - -even virtual reflections and critiques of our progress would be valuable. We are planning to develop a survey instrument to learn more about MOOCs -- the data will be openly licensed, so many opportunities for reusing the data to publish and focus on different aspects of the research.

Let the learning continue!

Wayne Mackintosh

Jun 29, 2011, 8:29:05 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
HI Karen,

Absolutely -- any participant journals and reflections which are openly available would be extremely beneficial to our collective efforts.

Once our study group has reached consensus on the objectives we aim to pursue, I imagine we will start collating research resources and links on the Webliography page -- and this would be an excellent place to list this kind of resource. I'm hoping that we will also scan and identify relevant blog posts, tweets etc which contain reflections on the eduMOOC learning process.

As with all things - -the breadth and depth of our learning and research efforts may be limited by available capacity -- but whatever we create and develop will be openly and freely available. I understand that the MOOC team at Athabasca university are keen to establish a MOOC reseearch / interest group and suspect that there will be a research life after eduMOOC as well ;-).

Hope you'll join us in the planning efforts.

myweb2learn

Jun 29, 2011, 10:23:42 PM6/29/11
to eduMOOC
Wayne,
I am interested. I tried to add my name to the table at the wiki page
but could not figure out how to insert a new row.
Thanks, ilona

Vanessa Vaile

Jun 29, 2011, 10:50:11 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
an opportunity for change not to be lost or wasted. this is also why a humanist and adjunct advocate did LAK11 to get understand learning analytics better

Wayne Mackintosh

Jun 29, 2011, 11:57:16 PM6/29/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ilona,

Wiki tables can be confusing in the beginning ;-).  I've added a few extra rows in the member table, should be easier now.

You will need an account to edit on the wiki -- but if you get stuck we have a good set of help tutorials. These links will get you started:

Gracie Boswell

Jun 30, 2011, 6:39:32 PM6/30/11
to eduMOOC
I think the information gathered would be informative, but there are
whole segments of society who would be lost using this MOOC model. I
want to interact with older adults online because many people cannot
go outside the home looking for programs of interest. Yet, I think
some of the structure that would be available from a well-organized
instructor would be lost in a model such as this MOOC model. Yet, I do
believe that I could find a more structured approach to use with these
individuals and that is my goal. gbosw...@gmail.com