Learning Technology Reflections

Rebecca

Jul 12, 2011, 11:00:29 PM7/12/11
to eduMOOC
I've been reflecting what innovations changed the shape of online
learning since I completed my Master's degree in 2005. My thoughts are
posted here: http://rjh.goingeast.ca/2011/07/13/reflections-on-learning-technology-edumooc/

What do you think? What technologies have changed the face of online
education in the last 5 or so years?

Cheers,
Rebecca

Harbans

Jul 13, 2011, 3:19:56 AM7/13/11
to eduMOOC
hi Rebecca
On the basis of your rich experience in on line
learning .could we say something about the sustainability of it in
the coming years?

regards
harbans

/

/

On Jul 13, 8:00 am, Rebecca <rjho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been reflecting what innovations changed the shape of online
> learning since I completed my Master's degree in 2005. My thoughts are
> posted here:http://rjh.goingeast.ca/2011/07/13/reflections-on-learning-technology...

Vanessa Vaile

Jul 14, 2011, 9:10:05 PM7/14/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Also interesting to consider the older ones we still use and those once popular but no longer in use

Rebecca

Jul 14, 2011, 11:22:42 PM7/14/11
to eduMOOC

Sustainability is a good question. I do think there are some economic
problems with online learning today. In too many academic circles
online education is still seen as inferior to f2f. In addition
instructors of online classes are often over worked and under paid
which again emphasizes the sense of inferiority.

Really I think the attitudes will stick until more people get a chance
to experience good online learning. Sadly there is still a lot of bad
out there that helps keep the status quo.

I've had both good and no so good experiences both in the classroom
and online. I find it is largely the students commitment that makes
the biggest difference, that and the facilitators ability to cultivate
commitment.

But I still see economic issues with online learning. Many programs
make more money if the students don't succeed so where is the
incentive to provide quality when all that matters is headcount? The
economic model is broken.

Cheers
Rebecca
Message has been deleted

Jenny

Jul 15, 2011, 2:42:35 AM7/15/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com

I predict important advances will be made in the area of energy use and battery storage. Right now if I want to read articles or web pages of any length I need a desktop, laptop or tablet. This past week I  tried to use my smartphone  to keep up with eduMOOC and found it very challenging. Reading the threaded discussions and posting was easy enough but I couldn't read many of the blogs or download the suggested articles. This prevented me from fully engaging in the discussion. Like someone noted in this forum, I "went underground". Also, while the smaller devices afford greater mobility in terms of less weight and energy use, the screens are too small to compose a post of more than a few sentences. Twitter-speak works wonderfully from my smart phone but if I want to write anything much longer than 140 characters I need a larger screen and traditional keyboard.

Jenny

Rebecca

Jul 15, 2011, 9:05:01 AM7/15/11
to eduMOOC
Hi Jenny

Just thought I'd pass along that rjh.goingeast.ca has a mobile
interface so you can follow along on your phone ;).

For anyone using wordpress the mobile plugin makes it really easy to
make your site mobile friendly.

Great segue way for next weeks topic.

Cheers
Rebecca

Vanessa Vaile

Jul 17, 2011, 11:15:09 PM7/17/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
How would we define 'sustainability' in the context of online learning? I'm more used to thinking of sustainability in terms of the physical world, environment, energy sources, food sovereignty, slow food, etc., and am never quite sure what is meant by it in this context.

sanford

Jul 18, 2011, 10:38:37 AM7/18/11
to eduMOOC
Funny because I assumed we were talking about keeping it going (the
traditional meaning of sustainability), not the environmentalist
usurped definition. I think many of the learning technologies we
currently use will continue to be used in the future Black/white/green-
boards, books, pen, paper are all still quite useful; but so are
LMS's, projectors, desktop/laptops, and DVDs. Youtube, webcams,
tablets, e-books, electronic library databases, smartphones, will all
come to replace current technology somewhat but never completely, as
schools will need to rewire/rebuild the current classrooms. And by the
time this happens there will be newer/better technology available to
replace the new comers.

Sanford Arbogast
http://sanford-arbogast.blogspot.com/

Marguerite Veres

Jul 18, 2011, 11:31:45 AM7/18/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I don't think schools will ever catch up as they are usually the last to adopt newer technologies. And by then, the technology is being replaced by something newer.

Rebecca

Jul 18, 2011, 7:33:21 PM7/18/11
to eduMOOC
Funny. I heard sustainability and I think of it in economic terms -
Actually, what I think of is what does it need to keep going, and in
my mind that means what are the economic drivers that will make it
successful.