What would you ask if you were designing a survey for eduMOOC?

Wayne Mackintosh

Jul 6, 2011, 12:25:32 AM7/6/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Ray has indicated that there are many questions to be asked, and much to be learned from eduMOOC in his ponderous ponderings.

Our OERu eduMOOC study group is using an open networked research approach (which aligns rather nicely with the theme for Week 2) to start grappling with some of these questions. Prior to the launch of eduMOOC, in an interview with Education-portal.com  Ray had the following to say:
"Over the next decade we may see the advent of the OERu - a model in which students take open college courses freely available on the Web and then seek academic credit through credentialing of their learning at a university which provides assessment, validation and academic credit at a cost lower than formal classes."
I'm hoping that Ray is far off target regarding the timing of the OERu -- and our OERu study group is hoping to prove Ray wrong ;-) We want to get the OERu operational long before the decade is out and you can help!

We're in the process of drafting an open survey for eduMOOC to help plan the implementation of the OERu. Here is an early iteration of the survey.

  • If you were planning an OERu what questions would you ask in a survey like this?
  • What would you ask to learn more about the MOOC model?
Would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, ideas or advice -- either via this forum or the emerging discussions on the wiki talk page.

The survey instrument is openly licensed and all the data will be released as open data in the public domain. So many opportunities for participants to remix, reflect and publish the results as we collectively build new knowledge for sustainable education futures.

ksw...@uis.edu

Jul 6, 2011, 11:04:04 PM7/6/11
to eduMOOC
I think this survey is awfully long and I wonder who will fill it
out. I wonder if we could have a short form which just asked what
participants believed they learned/gained from the experience

On Jul 5, 11:25 pm, Wayne Mackintosh <mackintosh.wa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Ray has indicated that there are many questions to be asked, and much to be
> learned from eduMOOC in his ponderous ponderings<http://edumooc.blogspot.com/2011/07/ponderously-pondering-again.html>.
>
> Our OERu eduMOOC study group is using an open networked research approach
> (which aligns rather nicely with the theme for Week 2) to start grappling
> with some of these questions. Prior to the launch of eduMOOC, in an
> interview with Education-portal.com
> <http://education-portal.com/articles/Open_Education_Is_Transforming_t...>Ray
> had the following to say:
>
> *"Over the next decade we may see the advent of the OERu - a model in which
> students take open college courses freely available on the Web and then seek
> academic credit through credentialing of their learning at a university
> which provides assessment, validation and academic credit at a cost lower
> than formal classes."*
>
> I'm hoping that Ray is far off target regarding the timing of the OERu --
> and our OERu study group is hoping to prove Ray wrong ;-) We want to get the
> OERu operational long before the decade is out and you can help!
>
> We're in the process of drafting an open survey for eduMOOC to help plan the
> implementation of the OERu. Here is an early iteration<http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group/Draft_s...>of the survey.
>
>    - If you were planning an OERu what questions would you ask in a survey
>    like this?
>    - What would you ask to learn more about the MOOC model?
>
> Would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, ideas or advice -- either via
> this forum or the emerging discussions on the wiki talk page<http://wikieducator.org/Talk:OER_university/eduMOOC_planning_group/Dr...>.

Scott HJ

Aug 10, 2011, 12:57:08 PM8/10/11
to eduMOOC
Everything about MOOCs involves being overwhelmed with hyperlinks to
this or that resource presented in it's entirety, multiple question
surveys that you can never find your way back to in order to take in
the results, and other evidence (to me anyway) that the online
universe is about random encounters in a field of zero history. (Too
much, too many, too often). Education is about stuff that sticks,
makes sense and persists in usefulness to enable meaningful encounters
which seems to me to be the opposite of MOOCs.

And to be fair, we are at the front end of a new literacy and maybe
it's OK to not have the vocabulary to explain it.

A question for the survey: Being as you are at the top of your
learning stride in the world outside of MOOCs, please describe the
experience of learning in an environment you are helpless to control?
> > knowledge for sustainable education futures.- Hide quoted text -

Vanessa Vaile

Aug 17, 2011, 1:28:59 AM8/17/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
some stuff does stick but we don't know what will while we are swimming through it, later we know.