Online library (information) literacy training module

Willy

Jun 30, 2011, 12:03:20 PM6/30/11
to eduMOOC
Here at Chicago State University we (The Distance Education Committee)
have developed a proposal for the librarians to create an online
library (information) literacy module for students (and perhaps some
faculty). Does anyone have anything like this? I'd appreciate seeing
what you have and sharing what our reference librarians come up with.
Willy

lukethelibrarian

Jun 30, 2011, 12:46:12 PM6/30/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Willy, I just posted your question to the eduMOOC Libraries and Librarians Study Group to see if any folks there might have models or suggestions for you.

Rebecca Hedreen

Jul 6, 2011, 2:35:32 PM7/6/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I think it depends on what you want to do. Are you looking for a generic InfoLit module? There are plenty of those. (Here's the one that my system customized from the TILT module, http://library.ccsu.edu/TILT/. It's old, but still being used.) Or are you talking about a 'how to use the library' tutorial, and, if so, what audience are you aiming for? Undergrads, a specific program, online students who already know about libraries-just not your online services, etc. Again, there are hundreds of generic 'how to use the library' tutorials out there. (Yes, we have one, but it's more aimed at on ground students: http://libguides.southernct.edu/librarytutorial. And like anything that gets specific, it needs updating. I'm beginning to dislike screencasts. They always seem to need updating.)

I am just about to start on the process of collaborating on an orientation for a new, dual-campus, mostly-online, graduate program. We're focusing on the audience--students who have been in the work force for many years, college educated but not likely to be familiar with the modern university library in all it's technological glory (or is that confusion). They may be tech savvy, maybe not. They will definitely be busy, probably working full time jobs and have families, and unlikely to be on either campus very often. But there won't be very many of them. So far, we know we're going to cover the services and resources provided online (guides, databases, etc.), accessing the libraries' online resources (passwords, etc.), our citation manager, and how to get more help if needed. Maybe a comparison of the 'old' library (card catalogs, print indexes) with the new (online catalog, databases). Given the audience, the 'how to get individualized help' portion will be very, very important. I'm also strongly considering pushing for an 'embedded' librarian in the intro class.

The decisions would be different for a module that might be used by thousands of students in all sorts of programs. I'm also working with a First Year Experience instructor to design some modules about teaching search with Google--the library databases aren't the best place for the types of assignments she's considering, but the search process could be started in Google, especially the advanced search, and later compared to the library databases.

I didn't go to the ALA conference this year, but my colleagues who did came back with ideas like systems that automatically post subject guides in the courseware or student information system based on a student's major or course selection. Ask your librarians if anyone went and what ideas they heard.

I hope that helps somewhat!
--Rebecca Hedreen
Library Coordinator for Distance Learning (and Sciences Reference Librarian)
Southern CT State Univ

Dennis (wiredinstructor)

Jul 7, 2011, 12:54:21 PM7/7/11
to eduMOOC
I've been working with the 21st Century Information Fluency Project
for most of this century. We've developed a number of free resources
that you're welcome to use in your effort to address student and
faculty information literacy.

Our work is online at http://21cif.com

I've also assembled a free online instructor's information fluency
tool kit: http://www.diigo.com/list/wiredinstructor/21_cif-learning-games-and-online-resources

For the last three years we've been working with Northwestern's Center
for Talent Development to deliver online information fluency training
to nearly 3000 7th-12 graders. At the same time about 200 adults have
also taken the training. We've seen significant gains (approx 30% as
measures against a pretest) in skills from this 3-4 hour self-paced
performance assessment.

You can preview our 2.0 Moodle version at http://21cif.mrooms.net/course/view.php?id=90
Just login as a guest. You can see everything except the
assessments.

This years version (Information Investigator 3.0) is based on a
medical theme and is currently being taken by CTD students as we
speak. In this edition we're using levels in a new more game like
approach. As students complete each task they earn badges and move to
a more sophisticated level.

Our first self-paced training was almost 10 hours. This last one can
be done in about 3 hours. We're please to see that the learning
outcomes remain about the same, in the 30% gain area.

Two things stand out for us. 1. Students assume all databases work
like Google and are easily baffled when basic searches don't yield the
results they expect. (In this year's version we ask them to search
PubMed for specific information.) We've also found that most teens i
simply refuse to check facts. They also resist training in how to
check facts. 8-)

I've used these materials with my graduate students at UW-Stout. It's
been my experience that most folks over-estimate their abilities when
it comes to online searching and content evaluation.

Hope this helps!

Dennis

Dennis O'Connor

Founding Partner: 21Cif.com
Program Advisor
E-Learning & Online Teaching
School of Education
Online Professional Development
University of Wisconsin-Stout
Wisconsin's Polytechnic University
530-318-1145 (Cell)
Skype: wiredinstructor2

Willy

Jul 8, 2011, 10:27:51 AM7/8/11
to eduMOOC
Rebecca,
Thanks for the info. As they say: "it pays to go to the experts."

On Jul 6, 1:35 pm, Rebecca Hedreen <delibrar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it depends on what you want to do. Are you looking for a generic
> InfoLit module? There are plenty of those. (Here's the one that my system
> customized from the TILT module,http://library.ccsu.edu/TILT/. It's old,

Willy

Jul 8, 2011, 10:33:52 AM7/8/11
to eduMOOC
Dennis,
thanks for info. I'll take a look at what you have here.
George

On Jul 7, 11:54 am, "Dennis (wiredinstructor)"
<wiredinstruc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been working with the 21st Century Information Fluency Project
> for most of this century.  We've developed a number of free resources
> that you're welcome to use in your effort to address student and
> faculty information literacy.
>
> Our work is online athttp://21cif.com
>
> I've also assembled a free online instructor's information fluency
> tool kit:http://www.diigo.com/list/wiredinstructor/21_cif-learning-games-and-o...
>
> For the last three years we've been working with Northwestern's Center
> for Talent Development to deliver online information fluency training
> to nearly 3000 7th-12 graders.  At the same time about 200 adults have
> also taken the training.  We've seen significant gains (approx 30% as
> measures against a pretest) in skills from this 3-4 hour self-paced
> performance assessment.
>
> You can preview our 2.0 Moodle version athttp://21cif.mrooms.net/course/view.php?id=90
> > Willy- Hide quoted text -

Dr. Indira Koneru

Jul 14, 2011, 8:26:04 AM7/14/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Willy, Information Retrieval Self-training Package might serve your purpose. It's been developed using the distance education approach.

Indira