What the research tells us

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 21, 2011, 1:43:29 PM6/21/11
to eduMOOC
In week two, we will be discussing online learning research.
Panelists (on Thursday 5/7 at 1pm CDT and also archived in Eluminate
for those who miss it) will be addressing 3 questions which I hope can
also guide our discussion here:

What do we know? --What are the most important findings to date coming
out of online learning research?

How do we know it? --What methodologies have been most commonly used
in online learning research and what promising methodologies are
emerging?

What do we still need to find out? --What are the most pressing
questions that still remain unanswered? Where is online learning
research headed in the near term?

Please feel free to add topics -- perhaps you have done some
interesting research yourself or you have a question about online
learning that you would like to investigate.

"Anyone, anyone . . . "

Michael Edwards

Jun 21, 2011, 2:14:55 PM6/21/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
One of the topics we're really interested in at CU Online is more holistic quality initiatives. There are tons of great course quality rubrics out there (Quality Matters, etc.) but they focus almost exclusively on design. The activity of the instructor isn't addressed.

A greatly designed course can be taught really badly, just as a horribly designed course can be taught really well.

I can think of many reasons why the teacher's presence and activity might not be evaluated in these tools:
  • Sensitivity/vulnerability of teachers who don't want the scrutiny or potential for judgment
  • Sense of one's course as "sacred ground" (carryover from the traditional classroom that is often free of scrutiny?)
  • Relatively more difficult to quantify and measure what the "teacher's presence and activity" actually entails and what/how it impacts?
  • There clearly is a legitimate need for course design evaluation and that was an important and large first step towards overall course quality.

There are hundreds of pedagogical strategies for teaching online effectively. It isn't a mystery how to teach well online. What is missing is a tool, process, system that guides the faculty member (who may be unlikely or unable to attend trainings and conferences) towards utilizing those strategies when teaching online. A tool that meets the instructor where they are and can suggest weaknesses in their approach and areas for improvement.
Message has been deleted

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 21, 2011, 9:38:58 PM6/21/11
to eduMOOC
In my program at UIS we are using the Community of Inquiry (CoI)
survey to assess implementation issues. The CoI survey, which is
based on what is perhaps the most used theory of online learning,
collects student perceptions of learning processes in online courses
-- namely, student perceptions of social, teaching, and cognitive
presence. (See: http://communitiesofinquiry.com/). Moreover, we have
been "tweaking" course implementation semester to semester based on
items identified as needing more attention by the survey, and finding
that this results in improved learning outcomes. In my course on
educational research, for example, course improvements implemented
iteratively across four semesters has resulted in not only
significantly higher CoI survey scores, but also significantly higher
scores on multiple course outcomes. (See:
http://ui-springfield.academia.edu/KarenSwan/Papers/539166/Linking_online_course_design_and_implementation_to_Learning_outcomes_A_design_experiment)

On Jun 21, 1:14 pm, Michael Edwards <michaeledwardsmu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> One of the topics we're really interested in at CU Online<http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/cuonline/Pages/CUOnline.aspx>is more holistic quality initiatives. There are tons of great course quality
> rubrics out there (Quality Matters, etc.) but they focus almost exclusively
> on design. The activity of the instructor isn't addressed.
>
> A greatly designed course can be taught really badly, just as a horribly
> designed course can be taught really well.
>
> I can think of many reasons why the teacher's presence and activity might
> not be evaluated in these tools:
>
>    - Sensitivity/vulnerability of teachers who don't want the scrutiny or
>    potential for judgment
>    - Sense of one's course as "sacred ground" (carryover from the
>    traditional classroom that is often free of scrutiny?)
>    - Relatively more difficult to quantify and measure what the "teacher's
>    presence and activity" actually entails and what/how it impacts?
>    - There clearly is a legitimate need for course design evaluation and
>    that was an important and large first step towards overall course quality.
>
> *There are hundreds of pedagogical strategies for teaching online
> effectively.* It isn't a mystery how to teach well online. What is missing

Terence Armentano

Jun 22, 2011, 8:12:15 AM6/22/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Good thoughts Michael! Do you think this could be handled by a set of guidelines grounded in research that teachers could follow in moving toward holistic quality initiatives? I think the guidelines could be based around key traits of quality teachers either in f2f or online environments? One key trait that should be addressed is communication and feedback.  How often and effectively does the teacher engage the students? A quality teacher should provide both synchronous and asynchronous communication opportunities every week.  (discussion, text chat, audio chat, video chat, webinar, email, discussion board, etc.)  Keying in on communication moves the learning landscape from informational to transformational.  Thoughts?

Burks Oakley

Jun 22, 2011, 8:59:55 AM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
Karen - When I first became involved in online learning, I viewed
online courses and online degrees as a great way to provide ACCESS to
education for any motivated learner. But recently, I have begun to
think that online learning can be better in many ways than classroom-
based learning. So my thinking has progressed from Access to
QUALITY. I hope that you will be discussing this perspective in your
sessions during Week Two of eduMOOC. Thanks.

-- Burks

JoniDunlap

Jun 22, 2011, 11:09:25 AM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
Mike and I have been working together with two others at the
University of Colorado Denver on the issue he describes. We are very
familiar with the CoI survey (it has, in fact, played an important
role in the research Patrick Lowenthal and I have been doing), and it
certainly has informed our development work. However, it still doesn't
provide us with the complete solution -- we need a faculty-friendly
way (easy to access and understand, non-judgmental, assessment quickly
leads to relevant and plug-in-able strategies for improvement, etc.)
to provide support for enhancing teaching effectiveness regardless of
where the faculty member is coming from (e.g., prior to starting to
teach online, in progress, after the fact and preparing for the next
semester; early, mid, late career; part-time or full-time; open to
advice or not; and so on). So, we are investigating ways to translate
theory and research into action -- not only to answer institutional
and stakeholder questions about quality, but to do a much better job
of supporting faculty (including the growing number of adjunct, part-
time folks teaching online courses) and ultimately improve the
learning experience for students. It looks like these discussions will
help us with our thinking on this -- fantastic!

-Joni

On Jun 21, 7:38 pm, ksw...@uis.edu wrote:
> In my program at UIS we are using the Community of Inquiry (CoI)
> survey to assess implementation issues.  The CoI survey, which is
> based on what is perhaps the most used theory of online learning,
> collects student perceptions of learning processes in online courses
> -- namely, student perceptions of social, teaching, and cognitive
> presence. (See:http://communitiesofinquiry.com/).  Moreover, we have
> been "tweaking" course implementation semester to semester based on
> items identified as needing more attention by the survey, and finding
> that this results in improved learning outcomes.  In my course on
> educational research, for example, course improvements implemented
> iteratively across four semesters has resulted in not only
> significantly higher CoI survey scores, but also significantly higher
> scores on multiple course outcomes. (See:http://ui-springfield.academia.edu/KarenSwan/Papers/539166/Linking_on...)

Michael Edwards

Jun 22, 2011, 11:16:02 AM6/22/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Terence, I agree that communication and feedback is extremely important! It's been a large part of our conversations. We've been scouring the research and discussing what aspects of teaching should be considered "basic" vs. "advanced" vs. "experimental" and further how we might break things down.

I think in general a "Teaching Improvement System" could take many forms, and the form it takes is just as important as the content. As we've looked into what kinds of things we want to do to promote quality, we don't feel that the world needs just another rubric or checklist. In our minds, the tool (or tools, more likely) would help the novice teacher identify weaknesses and connect them to relevant strategies. It would need to be something more involved/interesting than just a passive rubric. Ideally it could be used as a self-service tool, a consultation tool, and work on the individual level in addition to a program level.

So what does that look like? Personally, I'd like to take inspiration from websites and apps that solve problems like these really well. I'm thinking like WebMD's symptom checker tool, Amazon/Netflix's ability to recommend related items, a database/wikipedia of instructional strategies with associated metadata (strategy, description, online teaching examples, offline teaching examples, resources and cited research), really anywhere people are innovating in web services.

A teaching improvement system like this would be more than just a "bunch of information", it'd be an engine or interface that helps connect the teacher with strategies they need or are looking for. The advanced or savvy user could perhaps directly browse and search the library of strategies and ideas. A beginner would have tools geared towards helping them analyze their teaching and suggesting strategies to them. If we build out the back-end database, then we can hook in any creative user interface in the front end to draw on it.

I think one of the goals is to reach populations that are unlikely to attend trainings or ask for help directly. Adjunct faculty are one such population for us and I imagine it is for other institutions too.

We're still in the planning stages for our crack at building something like this, but our plans are to make it freely available and open source it and invite other institutions to improve it down the road. One of the prohibitors for some quality initiatives is the price of course reviewers (e.g. Quality Matters), and ideally this system would be free, though someone could obviously combine it with hired reviewers.

Anyway, to avoid too much blue-sky dreaming, I'll end my post.

JoniDunlap

Jun 22, 2011, 11:24:48 AM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
I'm not sure where to post this. On my mind lately is the blurring of
these distinctions -- online, hybrid/blended, on campus. I am starting
to feel that these distinctions are not helping me, and are actually
interfering and clouding the issues. For me and my work, the core is
teaching and learning, and professional and societal preparation of
our students. The world we live in is digital -- I am hard-pressed to
think of aspects of our lives that are not touched, influenced,
informed, controlled by plugged-into-the-wall, -the-internet, -the-
cloud technologies. So, even "on campus" courses need to immerse
students in the use of these technologies if they are to meet learning
goals and objectives that prepare them for the opportunities and
demands of living and working in the world. To my thinking this means
that "on campus" courses should be looking a lot like "hybrid"
courses, and "online" courses shouldn't be exclusively in front of a
computer screen -- all courses should be involving students in
relevant activities that have them in action in the world, accessing
the information and tools they need to (digital or not) to engage in
inquiry and exploration, knowledge construction, communication and
collaboration, and expression.

So, I am wondering what others think about these distinctions. And,
whether or not it is time to start reemphasizing good teaching and
learning in a digital world period (along the lines of 21st century
learning and Learning 2.0 initiatives).

-Joni

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 22, 2011, 11:47:25 AM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
Burks,

I would be really interested in hearing what you think about this. I
hope you come to the panel to raise the issue and develop it a little
more here.

Perhaps you know that Sloan-C is thinking about launching a series of
research symposia in the fall on specific topics but organized under
the umbrella of quality. As I am one of the organziaers, I will be
learning from this experience. I see the symposia as similar to
this. I set of resources available to participants, a panel of
experts from around the world, and ongoing discussion forums.

Karen

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 22, 2011, 11:54:44 AM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
Personally, I think what is missing from all that you are saying is
the student. The approach you are suggesting seems to me to assume
that it's all about teaching. Kind of like the instructor who
believes that if he/she covers the material the students should learn
it and if they do not, they are stupid or lazy. Cognitive science
would tell us that it is rather all about learning.

I like the idea of the kinds of interactive systems you are describing
but I think they should somehow connect to the students. Some people
query student satisfaction multiple times during a course, others tap
learning -- they keep track of detailed analytics on progression and
success weekly and try to address areas of weakness as they show up.

Karen

On Jun 22, 10:16 am, Michael Edwards <michaeledwardsmu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hey Terence, I agree that communication and feedback is extremely important!
> It's been a large part of our conversations. We've been scouring the
> research and discussing what aspects of teaching should be considered
> "basic" vs. "advanced" vs. "experimental" and further how we might break
> things down.
>
> I think in general a "Teaching Improvement System" could take many forms,
> and the form it takes is just as important as the content. As we've looked
> into what kinds of things we want to do to promote quality, we don't feel
> that the world needs just another rubric or checklist. In our minds, the
> tool (or tools, more likely) would help the novice teacher identify
> weaknesses and connect them to relevant strategies. It would need to be
> something more involved/interesting than just a passive rubric. Ideally it
> could be used as a self-service tool, a consultation tool, and work on the
> individual level in addition to a program level.
>
> *So what does that look like?* Personally, I'd like to take inspiration from

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 22, 2011, 11:55:48 AM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
I am very impressed with Patrick's work which I guess means I am very
impressed with your and Mike's. Very happy to have you here and
active in the discussions.
> > > improvement.- Hide quoted text -

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 22, 2011, 11:56:41 AM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
Here, here!
> > "Anyone, anyone . . . "- Hide quoted text -

Michael Edwards

Jun 22, 2011, 12:08:02 PM6/22/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I can see what you're saying based on my post.

I think the emphasis on teaching is always in the context of and ultimate goal of student learning outcomes and improving the learning experience, as Joni said. By connecting/exposing teachers to the full gamut of teaching strategies, I am hopeful they would see how the learning environment is about more than themselves or just a static text, that there are many ways to channel and use their expertise besides bringing down tablets from the mountain and saying "there it is, you figure it out and get back to me." There are so many roles an instructor can take on to improve the student learning experience, lecturer, motivator, guide, expert, contextualizer, connector, critic...

I'm definitely interested in how learning analytics can be incorporated into the teaching and learning experience to identify strengths and weaknesses, what's working and what isn't. And clearly, based on the topics cropping up at so many conferences, learning analytics is a HOT topic right now.

--
Michael Edwards
Sent with Sparrow

Terence Armentano

Jun 22, 2011, 12:43:05 PM6/22/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I agree Joni.  Everything is a blend of physical and digital in this information age and it seems old fashioned to create these labels.  I have noticed that the distinction between blended, online, and on-campus have more to do with administration and less to do with teaching and learning. For example, an online or blended course or program may be more or less expensive than f2f course or program and the system (ie. PeopleSoft, etc) needs a way to code it as such.  Perhaps a university wants to wave the out-of-state fees for online students located in other states. The system needs to be programmed to identify those "online" students.  Also, if a course or program goes through the official campus processes to become identified in the system as a "blended or online" course or program, the university will be able to more accurately distribute the appropriate amount of resources to those courses and programs. For example, if a university has 40,000 students but only 5,000 of the students are online then perhaps 2 instructional designers are adequate. If every course was considered blended, how many instructional designers should be hired to serve the entire campus? Thoughts?

JoniDunlap

Jun 22, 2011, 1:15:52 PM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
We'll see, Karen... Patrick is my doctoral student at the University
of Colorado Denver, and my writing partner of late. So, hopefully
liking Patrick's work will mean liking our work too. :-)

-Joni

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 22, 2011, 2:38:49 PM6/22/11
to eduMOOC
You are in luck, Michael. Phil Ice is a real expert in this area and
I am sure he will be talking analytics in the methods part of the
panel on Thursday. One of the really great things about analytics is
it puts the focus on students, hence learning, which I am afraid we
all forget sometimes. That is simply changing or changing up our
pedagogical behaviors will not necessarily improve learning -- it is
important to see whether or not it in fact is.

On Jun 22, 11:08 am, Michael Edwards <michaeledwardsmu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I can see what you're saying based on my post.
>
> I think the emphasis on teaching is always in the context of and ultimate goal of student learning outcomes and improving the learning experience, as Joni said. By connecting/exposing teachers to the full gamut of teaching strategies, I am hopeful they would see how the learning environment is about more than themselves or just a static text, that there are many ways to channel and use their expertise besides bringing down tablets from the mountain and saying "there it is, you figure it out and get back to me." There are so many roles an instructor can take on to improve the student learning experience, lecturer, motivator, guide, expert, contextualizer, connector, critic...
>
> I'm definitely interested in how learning analytics can be incorporated into the teaching and learning experience to identify strengths and weaknesses, what's working and what isn't. And clearly, based on the topics cropping up at so many conferences, learning analytics is a HOT topic right now.
> --
> Michael Edwards
>

> On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM, ksw...@uis.edu wrote:
> > Personally, I think what is missing from all that you are saying is
> > the student. The approach you are suggesting seems to me to assume
> > that it's all about teaching. Kind of like the instructor who
> > believes that if he/she covers the material the students should learn
> > it and if they do not, they are stupid or lazy. Cognitive science
> > would tell us that it is rather all about learning.
>
> > I like the idea of the kinds of interactive systems you are describing
> > but I think they should somehow connect to the students. Some people
> > query student satisfaction multiple times during a course, others tap
> > learning -- they keep track of detailed analytics on progression and
> > success weekly and try to address areas of weakness as they show up.
>
> > Karen
>
> > On Jun 22, 10:16 am, Michael Edwards <michaeledwardsmu...@gmail.com (http://gmail.com)>
> > > Anyway, to avoid too much blue-sky dreaming, I'll end my post.- Hide quoted text -

Michael Edwards

Jun 22, 2011, 2:44:08 PM6/22/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I'm excited to see what Phil brings to the table. We have definitely been discussing the role analytics will have in our project to measure results --- not just whether our tool is helping teachers, but for the teachers themselves to have analytics tools to gather more meaningful measurements of the impact their courses and teaching have on the learners for better or worse.

Theory is of course crucial, but testing, research, and results are the other side of the coin as they inform and refine each other.

John Patten

Jun 24, 2011, 1:04:30 PM6/24/11
to eduMOOC
I like what you're saying Karen...

IMHO, we really seems to be so focused on the nuts and bolts of online
education that we completely ignore the learner. ...maybe not to that
extreme, but it does sometimes seem secondary in our conversations
about online learning. If it could be done, it would almost seems that
we should inventory the students first thing, before designing a
course, and then when we know their interests, leanings, etc., then
design the online course. Is that realistic? Don't know. But with the
massive amounts of data we are all contributing and the libraries we
are constructing, it maybe possible to design online courses, almost
on the fly, based on the interests of the learner in the near future.
Obviously we're not quite there yet, and it "may" require a change in
instructor and pedagogy characteristics ... thinking a little out of
the box for a Friday morning...I better be careful or I'll hurt
myself :-)

Thanks for the thoughts!

ksw...@uis.edu

Jun 24, 2011, 5:14:31 PM6/24/11
to eduMOOC
LOL -- one of the things I hope to learn from this mooc experience is
how participants can shape and construct knowledge together. To be
honest, I am sceptical, but I love surprises.

Rebecca Hedreen

Jul 7, 2011, 10:14:01 AM7/7/11
to eduMOOC
I think "on the fly" might be a bit too much, but I can see the
potential for a series, or really a network, of modules that learners
could enter into as they wished. Not entire courses, but subsections
of what we currently consider courses. A learner could dip in
anywhere, and see prerequisite or review modules recommended before
the current one, plus suggestions for 'next step' modules once the
current one is finished. An institution could then award credit when a
particular set of modules and the attached assessments were complete,
but the learner would not necessarily need to complete the set, or the
assessments, if credit wasn't an issue. If a more traditional style
course was being taught, then learners who weren't quite up to speed
could be directed to the review modules, then complete the course with
the rest of the class. Advanced students could be given 'extra'
modules, especially self-directed ones, to complete during the course
to further their understanding, and the other students could look at
these later if they had interest.

Doing this within an institution would probably form the most coherent
network, but combining resources from all over would work, especially
if someone devoted the time to be sure that "prerequisites" (I use
that term loosely, since they might not be required per se) really did
cover all the necessary concepts and that gaps were filled with other
resources. It would involve a lot of work. See the Saylor Foundation
for the sort of thing I'm thinking about, though the structure is
still traditional: http://www.saylor.org/ Now picture this as a
network of the individual course segments, rather than organized as
courses. I think I'm staggered, both at the educational potential and
at the potential amount of work!

--Rebecca
> > > could perhaps directly browse and search thelibraryof strategies and

Ignatia/Inge de Waard

Jul 8, 2011, 4:22:23 AM7/8/11
to eduMOOC
hi all,

I like the idea of organizing a moduled overall course that learners
can get into. This might be developed for a variety of prerequisite
courses, as well as for broad, open topics of any nature.

What I am really interested in is the learning analytics behind online
courses (LAK http://lak12.sites.olt.ubc.ca/ ). The great thing about
online learning is that we can really track such a massive amount of
data, that real insights in learning and teaching can come out of it.

Osvaldo Rodriguez

Jul 8, 2011, 8:40:04 AM7/8/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com

Hi ALL

Interesting link given by Dave Cormier at MOOCast#1, July 6, 2011
"How I made the MOOC videos".

Osvaldo

C. Osvaldo RODRIGUEZ
cor...@yahoo.com

Jul 11, 2011, 9:28:34 AM7/11/11
to eduMOOC
Hi everyone,

I agree that online learning can be so much better than classroom
learning - when designed and led well. The challenge is that when it
isn't designed and led well that is can be so much worse than face-to-
face. I think it is the extreme variations that makes those who
haven't experienced good online learning skeptical to the value of
online learning.

If only there were a way to prevent bad online learning!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Shaeley Santiago

Jul 11, 2011, 7:37:02 PM7/11/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I agree with Rebecca, and I think she brings up a good issue.  How do we evaluate the quality of the online learning experience?  Is anyone familiar with some kind of tool or instrument written specifically to gauge the quality of the experience?  I know the presentation last week mentioned student engagement as well as a few other factors, but it seems most of the models for looking at quality come out of the business world and haven't really been tailored to the educational experience.

In particular, I am also interested in assessing the value of different software/online programs or applications as they address my area of expertise - teaching English as a Second  or Foreign Language (ESL/EFL).  Does anyone know of some kind of framework or research done on assessing the quality of the educational experience of students using various programs/apps?

Thanks,

Shaeley Santiago

Vanessa Vaile

Jul 11, 2011, 9:12:48 PM7/11/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
Yes - definitely. this is just what I'm interested in, have been looking for and trying to articulate (not well but working on it). wondering too if modules might include pre-tests or such for visitors to assess readiness and whether or not to drop back or skip over.

Uncoupling learning and assessment/granting of credits would remove the immediate credit issue

Vanessa Vaile

Jul 11, 2011, 9:28:54 PM7/11/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
PS totally agree about both staggerings  - potential and amount of work. exciting though

Harbans

Jul 12, 2011, 7:24:03 AM7/12/11
to eduMOOC
hi Rebecca
Islands where human beings are totaly cut off from the modern world
help to understand forces which landed us in the digital age. The
potential of internet is gift to everyone who exploits it . Mooc
needs to comeforward to show defined way to the society . I am
afraid collective will is lacking
regards
harbans

Apostolos K.

Jul 12, 2011, 9:17:44 AM7/12/11
to eduMOOC
I agree, and I will raise you one (lol).
I think that the best course is one that is hybrid to some extent;
both online and face to face. There is something that is lost without
good f2f contact so well designed hybrids are the best for education.
In my definition of hybrid I won't say how much time is spent in class
and how much time online because this is antithetical to good
pedagogy. Instead, I will let the instructor (the subject matter
expert) decide how much f2f time is needed.

sanford

Jul 13, 2011, 11:55:32 AM7/13/11
to eduMOOC
Apostolos
I agree about the hybrid having the best of both worlds, and I see the
"flipped" method making hybrid course even more effective. the porblem
we have at MCCis that students do not seem to like (low enrollment
#'s) the hybrid classes. they either want fully online or fully f2f..

Apostolos K.

Jul 14, 2011, 9:19:30 AM7/14/11
to eduMOOC
In the early days of online (heck even today) there is resistance to
online (and I know many people in my cohort of instructional designers
that did not want to take online courses).

I am sort of wondering if Hybrid classes are now facing the same
problem that online-only courses faced back in the day. Students
*know* the face to face and know what to expect. Students *know* the
online and know what to expect, but they may not be able to understand
the hybrid, and this is off-putting and a deterrent to signing up for
those hybrid courses. If they saw courses as more flexible than f2f
but also having the ability of interacting with their classmates f2f,
not only online, then I am sure that we would see more enrollments.
Of course, this type of mentality takes some time to gather momentum.

Skye McCloud

Jul 14, 2011, 12:28:54 PM7/14/11
to edu...@googlegroups.com
I think some differences may exist between traditional vs non traditional students.  Different pressures and tech knowledge
Skye