Eat our own dogfood

Scott Z. Bressler

Oct 26, 2010, 12:34:26 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com

We should probably run the latest trunk/head of EF on editflow.org. That would also make demonstrating new functionality easier – just link to the appropriate place on our site. Thoughts?

Daniel Bachhuber

Oct 26, 2010, 2:59:53 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
I'm down. Want me to set that up?

On 26 Oct 2010, at 12:34 PM, Scott Z. Bressler wrote:

We should probably run the latest trunk/head of EF on editflow.org. That would also make demonstrating new functionality easier – just link to the appropriate place on our site. Thoughts?

Scott Bressler

Oct 26, 2010, 4:16:54 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
That would be great, thanks. Can you provide us access so we can update the repo ourselves? Not sure what sort of access controls you have on the server (or where it's hosted).

Mohammad Jangda

Oct 26, 2010, 4:18:45 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com

Just set up a Cron job to "git up" daily so we don't have to update manually.

Sent from my Nexus One

Scott Bressler

Oct 26, 2010, 4:24:12 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Good thought

Daniel Bachhuber

Oct 26, 2010, 4:33:26 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
I'll do that. Adding FTP users with WebFaction is a pain

Scott Bressler

Oct 26, 2010, 4:43:47 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
And it should be git pull --rebase origin master, right? :)

Mohammad Jangda

Oct 26, 2010, 6:16:58 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com

I prefer git up :P

Sent from my Nexus One

Scott Bressler

Oct 26, 2010, 6:28:40 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Wait, does that work? Can't find much documentation on it anywhere.

Mohammad Jangda

Oct 26, 2010, 6:29:51 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com

Haha I was kidding! Should be git pull

Sent from my Nexus One

Scott Bressler

Oct 26, 2010, 6:31:24 PM10/26/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Well, there is this... http://github.com/aanand/git-up#readme

Mohammad Jangda

Oct 27, 2010, 8:56:41 AM10/27/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Okay, that's awesome. Especially this:

although... git-up might mess up your branches, or set your chest hair on fire, or be racist to your cat, I don't know. It works for me.

Mohammad Jangda

Oct 27, 2010, 11:54:15 AM10/27/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
FYI, just set this up on my personal blog (which is on webfaction). The command I added to crontab (after doing a git clone, of course):

01 3 * * * cd $HOME/webapps/digitalize_ca/wp-content/plugins/edit-flow/ && git pull origin master >> $HOME/cron.log
Does a pull everyday at 3:01AM Central and echos the output to cron.log

Scott Z. Bressler

Oct 27, 2010, 1:28:13 PM10/27/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com

For the one Daniel sets up, if you are willing, it might be best to make it pull more often than every day so that we can actually refer each other to the admin section of the site to see changes and not have to wait a day.

Better (simple) idea/challenge: Make a plugin that adds a link in the admin section to run git pull so that we only do it when needed
J Or in addition to a cron…

Mohammad Jangda

Oct 27, 2010, 2:02:57 PM10/27/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
If we're going all out, may as well just use github's webhooks to trigger an pull any time someone pushes: http://help.github.com/post-receive-hooks/

Scott Bressler

Oct 27, 2010, 4:40:14 PM10/27/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Go.

Daniel Bachhuber

Oct 28, 2010, 12:30:49 AM10/28/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Done and done. It's set up to run every four hours

Scott Z. Bressler

Oct 28, 2010, 12:52:51 AM10/28/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com

Awesome, but… do it with a post-commit hook! J

Daniel Bachhuber

Oct 28, 2010, 12:58:37 AM10/28/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
That sounds waaaaay too complex for what it's worth :)

Mohammad Jangda

Nov 16, 2010, 8:39:24 AM11/16/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
And we can now have post-receive hooks!

Daniel, can you add http://digitalize.ca/git-pull.php to the Edit Flow post-receive URLs (Repo > Admin > Service Hooks > post-receive URLs)?

And here's a script: https://gist.github.com/701537 -- writing up a post on it now :)

Daniel Bachhuber

Nov 16, 2010, 4:09:33 PM11/16/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Done!

Scott Bressler

Nov 16, 2010, 5:00:10 PM11/16/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Not working?

Still a development version of 0.5.3 here: http://www.editflow.org/wp-admin/plugins.php.

Mohammad Jangda

Nov 16, 2010, 5:01:40 PM11/16/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Works on my site. Don't think Daniel's set it up on his end.

Daniel Bachhuber

Nov 16, 2010, 5:03:20 PM11/16/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
I have not set it up on the site yet (although I don't know why the cron job isn't working...). I look forward to your documentation fearless leader!

Scott Bressler

Nov 16, 2010, 5:14:32 PM11/16/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Oh, my bad, thought you had added something to EF.org. I assume what you added was actually to the repo on GitHub.

Mohammad Jangda

Nov 16, 2010, 7:54:21 PM11/16/10
to edit...@googlegroups.com