Diagnosis of Intense Debate conflict and request for recommendations

Daniel Bachhuber

May 19, 2011, 12:37:30 PM5/19/11
to edit...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,
First, my apologies for the radio silence. It's the end of the semester and I've been fighting a number of fires. Hopefully once summer starts I'll be able to commit 1+ days/week to projects.

I finally had a chance to review the Intense Debate conflict. Based on my analysis, Intense Debate is sending editorial comments back to the service and that's why they're showing up in the comment threads. Specifically, we use the wp_insert_comment() method to add editorial comments to the database. Intense Debate hooks into that method, and sends everything back to the server that's not spam. In my opinion, therein lies the problem (limited testing confirms)

Ideally, I think Intense Debate should whitelist comment types instead of blacklist. I'd prefer to submit a patch along these lines instead of trying to do something hackish on our end.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Daniel

Scott Z. Bressler

May 19, 2011, 12:43:23 PM5/19/11
to edit...@googlegroups.com

That sounds like the right thing to do to me. However, just so we can fully weigh the options, what other alternatives exist as far as you can tell, hackish or not?

Mohammad Jangda

May 19, 2011, 12:46:04 PM5/19/11
to edit...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Daniel Bachhuber <dan...@editflow.org> wrote:
I finally had a chance to review the Intense Debate conflict. Based on my analysis, Intense Debate is sending editorial comments back to the service and that's why they're showing up in the comment threads. Specifically, we use the wp_insert_comment() method to add editorial comments to the database. Intense Debate hooks into that method, and sends everything back to the server that's not spam. In my opinion, therein lies the problem (limited testing confirms)

Ideally, I think Intense Debate should whitelist comment types instead of blacklist. I'd prefer to submit a patch along these lines instead of trying to do something hackish on our end.

A filtered blacklist could work too (and is likely more scalable):

if ( ! in_array( $comment->comment_approved, apply_filters( 'id_comment_approved_blacklist', array( 'spam' ) ) ) ) {

If you want to patch it up, I'll pass it on the ID folks.

Daniel Bachhuber

May 19, 2011, 1:03:12 PM5/19/11
to edit...@googlegroups.com
On 19 May 2011, at 12:46 PM, Mohammad Jangda wrote:

> A filtered blacklist could work too (and is likely more scalable):
>
> if ( ! in_array( $comment->comment_approved, apply_filters( 'id_comment_approved_blacklist', array( 'spam' ) ) ) ) {
>
> If you want to patch it up, I'll pass it on the ID folks.

Thanks, the patch is attached (hopefully it works with Google Groups). I think my preference is to not include the filter in Edit Flow core, but instead offer instructions on how to use it for the Intense Debate users. Disqus doesn't have the same problem. Cool?

Cheers,

Daniel

filter_id_comments.patch