EPIC / Perl integration w/ eclim

Max

Jun 17, 2011, 1:14:20 PM6/17/11
to eclim-user
I just found eclim and installed it, and all I can say is WOW! Thank
you developers.

I need to do a lot of Perl coding at work, and I use the fabulous epic
plugin for Eclipse (www.epic-ide.org)

Has anyone looked into adding Perl support to Eclim? I think bridging
epic to eclim would be the easiest route, since it is already
stable. How hard a problem is it to add new language features to
eclim, or to create a bridge between the two packages?

Thanks,
-m

Eric Van Dewoestine

Jun 20, 2011, 11:16:16 AM6/20/11
to eclim...@googlegroups.com
On 2011-06-17 10:14:20, Max wrote:
> I just found eclim and installed it, and all I can say is WOW! Thank
> you developers.
>
> I need to do a lot of Perl coding at work, and I use the fabulous epic
> plugin for Eclipse (www.epic-ide.org)
>
> Has anyone looked into adding Perl support to Eclim? I think bridging
> epic to eclim would be the easiest route, since it is already
> stable.

Adding perl support via epic is on my todo list but I don't have plans
to get to that any time soon unfortunately.

> How hard a problem is it to add new language features to
> eclim, or to create a bridge between the two packages?

The difficulty of integrating a new plugin can vary. The difficulty
for me tends to correlate with how far the plugin has strayed from the
JDT. If they modeled their api after the JDT and stuck to that, then I
can find my way around pretty easy, but the more they go off in their
own direction, the longer it can take me to find the integration
point, or worse, determine how to remove gui dependencies.

For someone new to the eclipse apis, adding support for a new plugin
can be quite a challenge, but I'm happy to answer questions and
provide guidance should you or someone else want to give such an
integration a shot. I'd love to get more contributions, especially
for languages that I don't really use, but that others are passionate
about (perl being a prime example).

--
eric