NOTICE: Stevens Race CANCELLATION

Joseph Kopena

Mar 11, 2011, 3:16:27 PM3/11/11
to eccc-announce
Folks,

Unfortunately, the Stevens Road Race scheduled for the Delaware Water
Gap this Sunday has been cancelled.

Heavy rain in that region over the past few days has flooded the
course and all possible alternates in the Water Gap, so much so that
the flooding won't recede before Sunday. The park notified the
Stevens team late yesterday that this was possible, put out a general
closure notice for the park overnight, and definitively revoked our
permit this afternoon. Raymond and the Stevens team have been working
on other alternatives, but there are neither other nearby races we can
feasibly coordinate with, nor other venues where we can get suitable
permits in such short order.

As noted previously, promoters are not under any obligation to refund
race fees as they must cover many significant costs regardless of
whether or not a race is actually held. However, the Stevens team
believes they will be able to significantly refund the
pre-registrations they have received, and will make an announcement
after they've clarified their costs with the park, police, and such.

This is of course highly unfortunate, but ultimately sometimes there's
just nothing to be done about weather issues like this. I'd like to
thank Raymond for putting as much effort into chasing down
alternatives as he has, and look forward to the Stevens race in 2012.

For our racers who will be in that area on Sunday regardless of this
cancellation, there are several other small races happening nearby on
Sunday, and we certainly encourage everyone to check them out.

If there are any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact
me, and expect an announcement from the Stevens team in the near
future about partial refunds.

Thanks

--
- joe kopena