How to add your stream of news to any site

Dave Winer

Apr 4, 2011, 4:23:27 AM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
Since I added my stream of news in the right margin of my blog, a couple of things have been observed:

1. Higher flow to my site -- people who come there for one story find other interesting stuff to read. Some of it on my site some of it off-site. This mix makes people more interested in coming back to my site.

2. I had forgotten that a lot of people still read my stuff on my blog. I get very distracted by all the new ways there are to read. But longtime readers get in the habit of coming to scripting.com, and some of them are my best friends and family (e.g. my mom) and now we have more to talk about.

3. A few people have said "I want one of those" and the feature has only been there for a few days. That doesn't happen too often. Usually people are happy to read, but in this case it seems to make people want to do it themselves.

I need to add this to the user interface, but until it's there, you can still use it. The file is rebuilt every time you post.

Here's the script I added to my template:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://static.reallysimple.org/users/dave/linkblogxml/miniLinkBlog.js"></script>

Obviously your URL will be different. The file is stored alongside all your others, in miniLinkBlog.js.

This feature went in fairly quietly among a lot of rock and rolllllllll.

Dave

Francine Hardaway

Apr 4, 2011, 9:07:18 AM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com, ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
When I get a chance today I am going to try to add it with a text widget to my WP blog

Sent from my iPad

Francine Hardaway

Apr 4, 2011, 11:43:31 AM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com, Dave Winer
My feed is at http://blog.stealthmode.com
Now I hope it updates the way it should:-)
--
Francine Hardaway, Ph.D

Adam Curry

Apr 4, 2011, 12:38:31 PM4/4/11
to ec2-for-poets

Francine Hardaway

Apr 4, 2011, 8:43:37 PM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com, ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing Dave's feed in my Blork, but not my own stream. Not that I mind, as Dave has very good feeds, but...isn't there more coming?

Sent from my iPad

Ted Howard

Apr 4, 2011, 9:16:30 PM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
On 4/4/11 7:43 PM, Francine Hardaway wrote:
> I am seeing Dave's feed in my Blork, but not my own stream. Not that I
> mind, as Dave has very good feeds, but...isn't there more coming?
>
> Sent from my iPad

You should definitely be seeing your own feed. I think. I'm not really
sure what you're describing here.

1) What url are you looking at where you expect to see "your stream"?
2) What do you mean by "your stream"?
a) your river of news
b) your linkblog (radio2) history
c) <other>

--
Ted C. Howard

Adam Curry

Apr 4, 2011, 9:18:49 PM4/4/11
to ec2-for-poets
You probably need to subscribe to your own feed :-)

Donovan watts

Apr 4, 2011, 9:19:41 PM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
If you copy/pasted the code that Dave included in this email thread, that is for his stream. You'll need to modify the code to reflect your own streams URL.

Sent from my iPod

Francine Hardaway

Apr 4, 2011, 9:32:40 PM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com, ec2-for-poets
The feeds I have subscribed to, not my own feed. Although I don't see my own feed either.

Sent from my iPad

Francine Hardaway

Apr 4, 2011, 9:36:43 PM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com, ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
I have put my own stream on my Wordpress blog.
 But I want to read my River ( the feeds I have subscribed to).
Ex: when I read River2, I don't see Scobleizer or Huffpo, because Dave doesn't subscribe to them.

Sent from my iPad

Francine Hardaway

Apr 4, 2011, 9:38:36 PM4/4/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
I see my history
I see Dave's river, not mine. Just realizing that may be because I am on his server, not my own. I am a test pilot in a rental plane :-)

Sent from my iPad