config.root

Michael Hellesen

May 30, 2011, 2:02:34 AM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I've been getting errors with config.root during the nightly backup operations.  It hasn't been able to sucessfully back it up in a week or more.  The size of the file in Guest Databases is over 700 megabytes.

I attempted to do the filemenu.savecopy("c:\\config.root") command and got this error.

Can't save the database because there was an error packing "config.river2.feeds.http://feeds.pheedo.com/appleinsider.calendar.2001 Internal database error: attempted to read a free block.  Try to Save a Copy and relaunch with the new database

I checked in c:\ and there is no copy of config.root so I'm assuming the backup didn't happen.

(I'm willing to let it go like this since River2/Blork still works just fine but I think if config.root gets much bigger it will be bad.)  I hope this is enough information.  If not please let me know what more I can give you.

Mike

Dave Winer

May 30, 2011, 4:42:39 AM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
If you address your mail list queries to me then if someone else can
help they might not -- it's human nature. Better to just "ask the
list."

Dave Winer

May 30, 2011, 5:11:43 AM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
You should make a copy of config.root right now using the file system.

More advice later today...

Mike Hellesen

May 30, 2011, 5:31:05 AM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
Copied.  Left running with the original copy until I receive further orders.  Catching some z's till then.

Mike

Dave Winer

May 30, 2011, 10:54:33 AM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
Here's what you do...

http://frontiernews.org/2011/05/30/when-one-of-your-roots-crashes/

Please everyone bookmark this page. Someday you'll need it. (If you're
running a server.)

Dave

Michael Hellesen

May 30, 2011, 2:00:41 PM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Followed all the steps in the howto.  There were a couple of errors in the root so I had to jettison two entries.  Both were rss feeds so no big deal.

After running the savecopy the size came down from over 750MB to around 160MB so that's a definite improvement.  I got it all copied and everything seems to be running smoothly.  I'll post a note after tonight's backup runs.

Thanks a lot for the detailed walk-through, much appreciated.  I'll definitely keep the page bookmarked.

Mike

Dave Winer

May 30, 2011, 2:25:46 PM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com
Right on.

Glad to finally get that howto out there.

Dave

Dave Jones

May 30, 2011, 10:03:48 PM5/30/11
to ec2-fo...@googlegroups.com