March/April GOOD BEER News: Wheat-fest returns, More EEBC at PNC Park, EEBC and The Smithsonian, plus all the details for our biggest event of the year!

EastEndBrewing

Mar 31, 2010, 11:37:59 AM3/31/10
to "GOOD BEER News" from East End Brewing
Caution: while reading this newsletter, you may experience sudden
feelings of exultation and joy, accompanied by unexplainable bouts of
brilliance and occasional itching. Tingling sensations are also
common but less likely, as is occasional jimmy-leg syndrome, extreme
thirst, and routine forgetfulness. But never indecisiveness. You can't
blame that one on me...at least I think so, but now I'm not so sure.
Now, where was I going with this?

Oh yeah...Good Afternoon GOOD BEER Fans!

Welcome to another double-edition of the GOOD BEER News, and Happy
Spring to you all! Yes, another month has almost sneaked - possibly
even snuck past us here, meaning that I need to pack TWO MONTHS worth
of tasty, beer-soaked goodness into one skinny little newsletter. And
with the full force of the Spring/Summer Beer Season ahead of us, it's
gonna be a doozy...possibly a doozie. Let's say we're keeping all our
grammatical options open for now.

With the long-awaited springing of Spring in Pittsburgh, comes a whole
crop of newly minted Spring beers (No, there's no mint-beer in the
works. Buy some gum or something, okay?) and a big announcement of the
date for what's grown into our biggest, and best-est event of the
year. Maybe you can guess what I'm talking about if I give you a
little hint:

WHAT HAS 1,000 WHEELS AND FLIES? And by "flies", I mean that it moves
down the road/trail, with a slow but deliberate pace. And by "1,000
wheels" I mean that's how many it had last year, but this year it
could be more - WAY more if historical trends play out. Give up?
Well, if you can't guess, you'll have to wait until we cover some
unfinished business, and a bunch of other stuff first. So please,
read on...and no scrolling ahead.

GRATITUDE FOR GRATITUDE/WOODEN NICKEL RELEASE DAY:
We had a HUGE turnout for Release Day, and our ever-shrinking tiny
brewery here was packed pretty much all day long. So for that, you
have my *ahem* Gratitude. And some Wooden Nickel too I suppose. I've
put up a release-day recap page on the website, complete with pictures
and some video, so you can either re-live part of the day, or just
curse yourself for missing out on all the fun of Pittsburgh's GOOD
BEER Community right here: http://www.eastendbrewing.com/node/825

It was a fantastic day for us, so thank you for making that happen!
And if you really missed the release day, don't worry. We've still
got plenty of 2009 Gratitude Barleywine and Wooden Nickel 5th
Anniversary Saison bottles for you at Growler Hours. So come on out -
we won't feel snubbed, I promise. I should also mention that for the
very first time, Vecenie Distributing (www.BeerSince1933.com) is
carrying cases of our big 1 liter Wooden Nickel Saison bottles, so
that GOOD BEER Spots throughout Western PA can get their share. So
ask for it, and then watch for it, at a bottle shop near you. Happy
5th Anniversary to us!

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON... WITH BEER!
I always figured that if I got a call from the Smithsonian, it would
be a request to donate my prized brewery newsletters (hand written on
their original grain bags) to their archives. But, as it turns out,
all they want is BEER - but I'm more than happy to deliver! This
April, I'll be heading to our nation's capitol along with three other
Pennsylvania brewers (who by the way, are NOT named "Smith") to share
the GOOD BEER News and pour some of East End's finest to a crowd of
beer-loving patriots in a GOOD BEER Summit. It's not often that I get
to "serve" my country like this, so I'm really looking forward to it.
You can come too! Check out the event page, get your tickets here
before they all sell out... and I'll see you in DC:
http://residentassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/reserve.aspx?performanceNumber=219404

SESSION ALE #36: NOONER SCOTTISH ALE:
How you choose to spend your afternoon in the privacy of your own
Growler is your business. But if you'd like a beer to spend the
afternoon with, and not get hurt in the process, give this one a try
while it's still here. "Nooner Scottish Ale" is a 4% Scottish Ale
that we released a few weeks back, and before I've even had a chance
to tell you about it, we're down to our last couple of kegs. The name
"Nooner" is also a wee doff of the cap to Craft Brewing pioneer,
author, and brewer Greg Noonan, who passed last year, but left us with
his book "Scotch Ale", among other treasured things in the world of
beer. Including inspiration for recipes like this one!

WHEAT FEST RETURNS...
Speaking of Session Ales, inspired by the wonderful Spring Weather
(that has momentarily stepped away from us, and then back again),
we're bringing back two of our old warm-weather Session Ale favorites
in the weeks ahead. Look for the return of a MONKEY GIRL
DUNKELWEIZEN, just back from a complete recipe makeover, and the under-
hyped, over-hopped WHEAT HOP, both coming in the next 2-3 weeks.
These two, plus this season's first batch of EAST END WITTE that we
just tapped this past weekend, and of course our year-round MONKEY BOY
HEFEWEIZEN, means that we'll soon have four wheat beers on tap -
enough for an impromptu WHEATFEST 2010!

STAY TOONED....ANOTHER BOTTLED BEER ON THE WAY:
Did you know that Pittsburgh is the host for one of this country's few
museums devoted to Illustrated Art? Seriously, take a look: www.Toonseum.org
Pretty cool, eh? I thought so too, which is why we're doing a special
collaboration with the Toonseum to celebrate one of Pittsburgh's most
unique cultural treasures - beer. Okay, make that TWO of Pittsburgh's
treasures - beer and this very unique museum!

"Illustration Ale", is the official name for what we've affectionately
been calling our "Toon-Brew". It's a big, flavorful, Belgian style of
beer, and one that's tricky to tuck into a specific style category -
much like the spread of artwork that will adorn these bottles.
Strong, dark, roasty, and stocky like a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, but
without the malt sweetness that you might expect from a beer like
this. Six different artists will create six different illustrated
labels that will form the "Illustration Ale Six Pack" - but you can
still buy singles if you like. Three bucks from every bottle sold
will go to support Pittsburgh's Toonseum, and we're currently
conspiring on a special event to release this beer. So watch this
newsletter for more on that picture as it takes shape (ugh). No date
yet, but probably in May, right around the time of the KEG RIDE. Did
you know we're doing a Keg Ride this Summer?

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE MY NAME IN LYCRA...?
To be honest,"in lights" was more of what I had in mind. (Not
really.) But ever since the very first Pedal Pale Ale Keg Ride,
people have been after me to get some East End Brewing bike jerseys
made up, and this year, it's finally happening. In fact, they should
arrive just in time for this year's Keg Ride, so you can ride in
style! (Oh yeah. Did I mention the Keg Ride? Maybe you heard about
that.) Have a look at our preliminary design here:http://ow.ly/1t9Lk

YES, I SAID KEG RIDE: FRIDAY MAY 14TH! (Here's where you say "Ah-ha!
THAT'S what has 1,000 wheels and flies!")
Dust off that bike and polish up your liver - or maybe it's the other
way around? Regardless, it's time to gear up for this year's Keg
Ride. If you're new around here, and don't know what I'm talking
about, for the last 5 years, we've been delivering the the very first
kegs of our summer seasonal, PEDAL PALE ALE in a very special way...
by bicycle. And for everyone riding along, the first beer is on me!

Just like the "Reverse Keg Ride" we did in the fall, this one's a
Charity Event too - with 100% of every dollar raised going to two very
worthwhile local charities. Plus we've got a bunch of new stuff this
year too...
- On-line registration/contribution, so no more huge line on ride day!
(Watch for a "Late Breaking" message when this goes live)
- Everyone registering EARLY gets a chance to win an East End Brewing/
Big Hop Cycle Jersey! http://ow.ly/1t9Lk
- Everyone registering EARLY gets a chance to win a Pittsburgh Cycling
Jersey! http://ow.ly/1t9GI
- Want to pull a keg? We're auctioning off 3 keg pulling slots to the
highest bidders! (Auction goes live about 2 weeks before Ride Day -
I'll let you know.)

Read all about the Keg Ride, see the stats and some photos from
previous years, and (eventually) get yourself registered right here:
http://www.eastendbrewing.com/node/830 And by all means, please feel
free to pass this link on to every single person you know. It's going
to be a great day, so I'll see ALL OF YOU and your bikes on May 14th!

BEER AT THE BALLPARK!
Here's one thing you can count on this season at PNC Park: Beer
Passport Nights are coming back to the Club Level! Discounted Club
Level seats, food vouchers, and pre-game beer from three local
breweries. Did I mention these seats are cheaper when you buy them
for this event? Here's the dates and ticketing info - and BE SURE to
tell them East End Brewing sent you: http://ow.ly/1sCqW (I should also
mention that due to scheduling conflicts, EEBC will not be pouring at
the May and July Passport Nights. Other breweries will though.)

FAT GARY IN THE HALL OF FAME???
Speaking of PNC Park, we're also proud to announce that for the first
time this season, ANYONE at a Pirate Home Game can find some East End
Brewing GOODness at the ball park. Even in the cheap seats! Fat Gary
Nut Brown Ale will be on tap at The Hall of Fame Club in Left-Center
starting on Opening Day, and any ticket holder in the park has access
to this tap spot. More info on the Hall of Fame Club bar at PNC Park
can be found here: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/pit/ballpark/hof_club.jsp

WOW, OUR CALENDAR IS JUST SOAKED WITH GOOD BEER:
4/1 Share The Harvest @ Enrico Biscotti's Highland Park location (sold
out) http://ow.ly/1sCq3
4/16 Beer Passport Night @ PNC Park http://ow.ly/1sCqW
4/21 Artists' Day at The Frick: Details coming to http://www.thefrickpittsburgh.org
4/24 PA Ale Trail@The Smithsonian w/ EEBC
http://residentassociates.org/ticketing/tickets/reserve.aspx?performanceNumber=219404
5/14 PEDAL PALE ALE KEG RIDE 2010!!! http://www.eastendbrewing.com/node/830
5/20 Chocolate/Cheese/Beer! EEBC+Rock Bottom, Homewood+Homestead!
Details coming @ http://www.rockbottom.com/pittsburgh/events
5/22 Pints for Pets Brewfest in Altoona: http://pintsforpets.com/
5/22 Beer Passport Night @ PNC Park (No EEBC) http://ow.ly/1sCqW
6/18 Beer Passport Night @ PNC Park http://ow.ly/1sCqW
7/10 Venture Outdoors Brewery Hike: www.VentureOutdoors.org
7/16 Beer Passport Night @ PNC Park (No EEBC) http://ow.ly/1sCqW
8/14 Millvale Brew Festival: http://www.millvalepa.com/BrewFest.aspx
8/21 Beer Passport Night @ PNC Park http://ow.ly/1sCqW
9/11 Steel City Big Pour: http://www.constructionjunction.org/pages/bigpour
9/17 Beer Passport Night @ PNC Park http://ow.ly/1sCqW
10/16 Brewing Up a Cure Brewfest: www.brewingupacure.com

SOME GOOD BEER NEWS(PAPERS) AND THE LIKE...
-Venture Outdoors Brewery Hike makes the Sports section of the Post-
Gazette: http://postgazette.com/pg/10087/1046245-140.stm
-The folks who put these Brewery Hikes together are the same ones that
bring the amazing Banff Mountain Film Festival to Pittsburgh every
year: http://blog.ventureoutdoors.org/tag/banff-mountain-film-festival/
-Gratitude/Wooden Nickel release day makes the Post Gazette too:
http://ow.ly/1eGnF
-Here's a nice EEBC write-up in the Green-is-Good blog:http://
thegreenagenda.blogspot.com/2010/03/small-green-business-tuesday-
beer.html
-Is your beer vegetarian? Ours is: http://ow.ly/1e9IH
-EEBC's Gose gets a full chapter in Stan Hieronymus's new book,
"Brewing With Wheat"! Check out the picture on this page: http://ow.ly/1e9IH

Whew - that's plenty for now, I'd say. I'll send something out just
as soon as we get the Keg Ride Registration up and running. And stay
tuned in the final weeks before the ride to bid on a chance to do your
part and PULL A KEG! Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom...
and for passing this on to all the GOOD BEER Fans in your world. See
you at one of these events, or here at the brewery some time soon!

Cheers,
Scott

BUY A GOOD FRIEND A GOOD BEER (tm)
www.EastEndBrewing.com