0.9.6 - release candidate 1

Bart Vanbrabant

Jul 15, 2009, 7:27:01 AM7/15/09
to eaccelerator
Hi all,

Yesterday I released a first release candidate of 0.9.6. Some very big
changes have been made to eAccelerator. Everyone has noticed that
there is not much development. The main reason is that eAccelerator
does pretty good what it needs to do. So new releases are only made to
keep eAccelerator in sync with PHP releases. For this reason version
0.9.6 goes back to basics. I am only going to keep the script cache
part of eAccelerator up to date with PHP, so all other functionality
has been removed from eAccelerator. If you need the other
functionality you have two choices:

1) You do not upgrade PHP and keep using the working version of eA
2) You port the removed parts to the current PHP version so I can
merge them back in AND you make a commitment to keep on maintaining
them.

Please test this release and provide us with feedback. The source is
available from here:
http://bart.eaccelerator.net/source/0.9.6/

gr,

Bart

Andrew

Jul 17, 2009, 12:16:43 PM7/17/09
to eaccelerator
Bart,

Does that mean that only the opcode caching features will be available
and other features such as eaccelerator_cache_page() will not be
available? Or which features are being dropped?

Otherwise, is the new version of eAccelerator compatible with PHP 5.3?

Cheers,

Andrew

hydn79

Jul 21, 2009, 4:03:28 AM7/21/09
to eaccelerator
Where can I download the windows dll to test? Ex. eaccelerator.dll ?

Thanks! looking forward to using.

hydn79

Jul 21, 2009, 12:44:27 PM7/21/09
to eaccelerator
I've been testing this:
http://forum.lighttpd.net/topic/99879#19590

Absolutely NO bugs or erros. BUT unlike EA it caches to memory and not
file system and on nts PHP it causes multiple caches (duplicating) for
each php-cgi.exe.

So in the end as long as new eA is stable as this is I will def switch
once released. Unless of course xcache can resolve. :)

Bart Vanbrabant

Jul 30, 2009, 5:00:51 AM7/30/09
to eaccelerator
Hi,

I've been on vacation so sorry for the delay. Answers to your
questions are all "yes". So all features that are NOT opcode caching
are removed. The new version is also compatible with PHP 5.3

gr,

Bart

Bart Vanbrabant

Jul 30, 2009, 5:02:29 AM7/30/09
to eaccelerator
Sorry, I do not have Windows or the tools on windows available to make
dll's. The win32 project files also need to be updated before someone
with the right tools can build the dll's. I try to keep eA compatible
with windows, for building it I rely on the help of the community.

gr,

Bart

Gaetano Giunta

Jul 30, 2009, 5:58:37 AM7/30/09
to eaccel...@googlegroups.com
Bart Vanbrabant wrote:
Sorry, I do not have Windows or the tools on windows available to make
dll's. The win32 project files also need to be updated before someone
with the right tools can build the dll's. I try to keep eA compatible
with windows, for building it I rely on the help of the community.

Anybody volunteering for this?

Maybe Tom Donovan, who has been building the eaccelerator dlls distributed on Apachelounge.com can help here  - or maybe I could, if I had a tad more time...

hydn79

Jul 30, 2009, 10:19:07 AM7/30/09
to eaccelerator
I'm willing to help. What tools are needed to download? Or I can
donate towards the built. Which ever is easier/faster. It's been doing
this from scratch but willing to research and give it a try.

Joe C.H. Hung

Sep 10, 2009, 10:31:54 AM9/10/09
to eaccelerator
I's still using 0.9.5.3 with PHP 5.3 on FreeBSD.
According to the information shown on phpinfo page, it works fine.

Could you (or anyone else) please tell us why those function must be
removed?
Is there any problem on 0.9.5.3 (work with PHP 5.3) which I have never
found?

Thanks for your long-time contribution.

Bart Vanbrabant

Sep 10, 2009, 10:36:40 AM9/10/09
to eaccel...@googlegroups.com
It is impossible that you are using 0.9.5.3 with PHP 5.3 because you
can not even get it compiled. If it does compile, please share that
source because that is not what is in 0.9.5.3

I removed these functions because these do not belong to the core job
of eA, which is caching. If you want to keep using them, that is fine.
0.9.6 adds nothing new except for caching support for PHP 5.3, other
features have not been ported.

gr,

Bart
--
Bart Vanbrabant <ba...@vanbrabant.eu>

Guenther Waldbauer

Oct 7, 2009, 3:46:48 AM10/7/09
to eaccelerator
Here ist the HOW-TO Compile :-)

http://www.waldbauer.com/vb/showthread.php?p=6488

On 10 Sep., 16:36, Bart Vanbrabant <b...@vanbrabant.eu> wrote:
> It is impossible that you are using 0.9.5.3 with PHP 5.3 because you
> can not even get it compiled. If it does compile, please share that
> source because that is not what is in 0.9.5.3
>
> I removed these functions because these do not belong to the core job
> of eA, which is caching. If you want to keep using them, that is fine.
> 0.9.6 adds nothing new except for caching support for PHP 5.3, other
> features have not been ported.
>
> gr,
>
> Bart
>
> Bart Vanbrabant <b...@vanbrabant.eu>

Ilkka

Nov 28, 2009, 5:02:09 AM11/28/09
to eaccelerator
Oops... I've been using the shm cache heavily. I think I will have to
port them!

Ilkka