entering hebrew letters as response

Yoed

Mar 15, 2010, 7:48:57 AM3/15/10
to E-Prime
hi there
i have eprime2 and in my experiment i am presenting my subject with a
visual stimuli and then ask him to write down his answer with the
keyboard via echo recording. the problem i have is that i need the
subject to write his response in hebrew and right now i cant figure
out how to do that - only able to write a response in latin characters
which makes it quite difficult to convert it later back to hebrew
can anyone help me with this?
thanks

liwenna

Mar 17, 2010, 9:59:13 AM3/17/10
to E-Prime
Welcome back Yoed.

So you still didn't solve this, hey?

I think that many people already gave you their look on this and that
you've been asked to provide some more info on what is going wrong
where exactly.

Last time I tried to install a hebrew font on my computer but that
totally crashed my account so I won't try that again... but for what
it's worth: I assume you do have hebrew fonts installed on your
computer... can you choose them in e-prime?? i.e. if you have a
textobject, can you select a hebrew font on the font option?

If you make a slide and in the slide properties under the input tab
add the keyboard as an input device and then choose advance... you can
create an 'echo'... under echo tab add a display-device. Next go to
edit the display device and now you can choose a font under the font
tab which will be the font e-prime uses for the echo (i.e. showing on
the screen) of what is typed. I can select wingdings here (for lack of
hebrew font) and it will show me wingdings on the screen all right.

Don't forget to increase the max count on the general tab of the
'keyboard advanced properties', it it's set to 1 you can only enter 1
character before the slide will 'jump'. Set it to 6 and you can enter
6 character etc. Also set the the slide duration to infinite.

If this works you'll still need to adjust settings on the echo, so
doing the above stuff won't 'finish'your experiment but just let us
know whether or not you receive hebrew letters if you take the above
steps or not.

Best,

liw

Yoed Kenett

Mar 21, 2010, 6:14:21 AM3/21/10
to liw...@gmail.com, e-p...@googlegroups.com
hi
thank you so much for your help
i just want to say in my defense that many people have told me how to record keyboard responses and i am quite grateful for all of their help and i have managed to do it through their help. what i still have not managed is for the subject to enter his response and see hebrew font and for the program to code his response in hebrew letters and english gibrish.

i have checked and i can select a hebrew font in my echo advanced display settings. i changed the font of the echo display to a hebrew font and still when i tried to type a response in the experiment it was still in english characters and also the program recorded the answer in english and not hebrew characters.
what is my next step?

Yoed

gilis

Mar 21, 2010, 9:15:09 AM3/21/10
to E-Prime

> > e-prime+u...@googlegroups.com<e-prime%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime?hl=en.
>
> --
> Yoed

Maybe what you have to do is to install windows XP with support in
Hebrew. I use Hebrew on my computer regulary
and also many times used Hebrew words in Eprime. It's not big deal
once windows support Hebrew.

Yoed Kenett

Mar 21, 2010, 10:03:18 AM3/21/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
hi
the windows i have on my machine supports of course hebrew fonts...

Yoed

gilis

Mar 21, 2010, 4:27:45 PM3/21/10
to E-Prime
Appologize for the silly reply...

On 21 מרץ, 16:03, Yoed Kenett <yoedken...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi

> > <e-prime%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<e-prime%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

liwenna

Mar 23, 2010, 6:57:11 AM3/23/10
to E-Prime
Gilis, there are no silly replies! Quite often the most obvious things
get the most easily overlooked.

Yoed: no luck yet I suppose? Have you taken this up with PST? For what
it's worth: as reported before I do get to see wingdings on my screen
but the logged responses are in "english"... i.e. letters and no fancy
wingdings...

Yoed Kenett

Mar 23, 2010, 7:55:01 AM3/23/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
hi
i have actually taken this up with PST and late last night i got an answer - the short version of it is no. attaching below the answer i got from them, thanks everyone for their help in this issue!

++++

Yoed,

Are you using E-Prime v1.x or E-Prime 2.0? While E-Prime 2.0 is supported by the English/Western European versions of Windows XP and Vista, this really only applies to text that is displayed by the objects. That is, while the "Text" property of a TextDisplay will accept foreign characters, the other properties (including .Input and its related echo properties) will not. All non-English characters or accents will go unrecognized by E-Prime in the responses and in the text that is echoed to the screen.

E-Prime 2.0 has resolved this to some degree by allowing non-English fonts to appear as responses in the data file (i.e., UNICODE fonts are permitted). However, the echo client will still only display English and the responses themselves will still be based on the QWERTY keyboard. You could get around this by manually echoing the subject's responses to the screen. For example, you could take the subject's input and then convert it to Hebrew in script, and then display this on screen (e.g., if the semicolon key is pressed, convert this to a specific character and display it on screen, etc). However, this can be fairly script intensive and would require that the Hebrew characters appear correctly in TextDisplay objects and/or Slide objects and appear correctly in InLine objects. If you are interested, I would recommend taking a look at SAMPLE:Process Responses Template for an example of how to change what is displayed on screen based on the subject's responses.

Yoed

David McFarlane

Mar 23, 2010, 10:13:00 AM3/23/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Yoed,

Thanks for getting and posting the reply from PST. I wonder if any
of the alternatives to E-Prime (e.g., Presentation,
http://www.neurobs.com ) could do a better job of handling non-English input?