Mouse Scrolling Wheel activation in EPrime?

ai_ayumi

Aug 23, 2010, 1:04:27 PM8/23/10
to E-Prime
How to activate the Mouse's scrolling wheel? Clicking the wheel button
is "ebMouseButton3", but how to activate the scrolling?

Also, is there a way to continously collect data as long as as the
mouse button is down?

e.g. moving a slider bar as long as the mouse button is down (Right
now i can only move the bar by clicking incessantly)

GetState() = ebStatePress seems only able to collect 1 click....Again,
what would the Inline look like?

David McFarlane

Aug 23, 2010, 3:19:44 PM8/23/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Stock reminder: 1) I do not work for PST. 2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours (although current
estimates are more like 10 days) -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of it. 3) If
you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend the courtesy
of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

AFAIK scrolling wheel support must be built into the application, and
I do not see PST doing that for E-Prime. Then again, maybe you could
do this by calling the appropriate Windows API, but that is not a job
for beginners.

For continuous collection of mouse data, please see the MouseDevice
topic in the online E-Basic Help, and look through the example
programs that you may download from the PST web site. I do not think
they have one that does exactly what you want, but they do have
programs that will show all the necessary techniques that you may
then put together. I have actually seen a demo of exactly what you
want, so I know that EP can handle this well.

Michiel Spape

Aug 24, 2010, 4:27:00 AM8/24/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi David, OP & list,
Would be nice, yes, scrolling support, but alas.

As for continuous data collection, I was sort of wondering what exactly is meant by this. For one, not many people seem to know that EPrime can collect on- and off-presses (press / release, key-down / key-up, in other programming languages) independently, so you could have something like
Slide1 shown until key-down (default)
...do stuff here...
Slide2 shown once key-up (look up {key} nomenclature in e-basic help)

Or, if you like:
Slide1: infinite duration until {SPACE} key-down
Label1
Slide2: 1 ms duration (no sync)
If Slide2.RESP <> {-SPACE} goto Label1

Depends all on what you mean exactly by 'continuous collection'. One thing I've learnt is that you will feel very sorry for yourself if you decide to do something like this:
for I = 1 to 1000
c.SetAttrib "CursorX" & cstr(i), Cursor.X 'this is not exactly eBasic, but you get the point
sleep 1
next I

Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham
School of Psychology

ai_ayumi

Aug 24, 2010, 10:48:24 PM8/24/10
to E-Prime
"continuous collection" as in "as long as the mouse is pressed, EPrime
will keep recognizing it as key-pressed, so key-pressed inlines are
issued".

I do know you can do on- and off-presses (using { } or {- }), but ON/
OFF doesn't seem to work with the mouse (doesn't allow {- } releases)
I am trying to piece something together using examples from EBasics
Help, but nothing seem to work so far...

On Aug 24, 4:27 am, Michiel Spape <Michiel.Sp...@nottingham.ac.uk>
wrote:
> takes any and all questions athttp://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp, and they
>
> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

> University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.- Hide quoted text -

David McFarlane

Aug 25, 2010, 9:15:59 AM8/25/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
On Tue 24 Aug 2010 ai_ayumi wrote:
> ON/OFF doesn't seem to work with the mouse (doesn't allow {- } releases)

For the record, the mouse most certainly does allow {-} releases, as
long as you set its CollectionMode to recognize releases and use the
proper {key} nomenclature. Please look again at the appropriate topics
in the online E-Basic Help.

That said, unlike any other device in E-Prime, you can access the mouse
directly without any input mask, so you could do continuous data
collecting without regard to any of that. Just takes a bit of thought
and coding.

Michiel Spape

Aug 25, 2010, 10:23:59 AM8/25/10
to e-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi group,
Good to know that my suspicion (due to lack of e-prime at the other lab, I couldn't find out) holds true! Should be a breeze to programme then.

Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow